PDA

View Full Version : Erie County Executive Upbeat About Bills

Romes
02-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Despite strong community fears that the Buffalo Bills may exit when the team's lease at Ralph Wilson Stadium expires in four years, Erie County Executive Christopher Collins feels that may not be the case.

"I'm going to be the optimist," Collins said Wednesday afternoon just a few hours after the Bills formally announced plans to play eight games -- including five regular season contests at Toronto's Rogers Centre beginning in 2008.

----------------------------
Still, team officials including owner Ralph Wilson Jr. have expressed concern that the economic strength and population base of the Buffalo Niagara region is dwindling and that the community lacks the ability to financially support the Bills the way other communities have backed their National Football League.

Collins isn't buying into that argument.

"We have to prove to the naysayers including Ralph Wilson that we are growing," Collins said.

The County Executive said he is open and willing to negotiate a new lease with the Bills, but so far the team has been cool to his offers. The Bills lease at Ralph Wilson Stadium expires in 2012.

"It takes two to negotiate and I don't think they want, at this point," Collins said. "Keeping the Bills is high on my agenda and high on the agenda of others."

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2008/02/04/daily31.html

Atleast we know the county is working hard to keep them here...

Bulldog
02-07-2008, 07:53 AM
The politicians may want to get their head out of their ass before this thing is too far gone. Now is the time to plan out a course of action when for when the senile Ralph Wilson finally kicks the bucket.

Jan Reimers
02-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Collins is a savvy, successful businessman with a record of getting things done. Erie County couldn't have a better guy at the helm in its efforts to keep the Bills.

Bulldog
02-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Collins is a savvy, successful businessman with a record of getting things done. Erie County couldn't have a better guy at the helm in its efforts to keep theBills.

I hear you there. But where the hell is Elliot Spitzer? You would have to think that the Bills would be a top priority since they are the ONLY team that actually plays in NY. I guess my point is that it's going to take more than Collins to get a deal done.

Jan Reimers
02-07-2008, 08:10 AM
I hear you there. But where the hell is Elliot Spitzer? You would have to think that the Bills would be a top priority since they are the ONLY team that actually plays in NY. I guess my point is that it's going to take more than Collins to get a deal done.
I agree. We need Spitzer, Schumer, Hillary (or her successor) and every other powerful politician we can muster.

DMBcrew36
02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Politicians in Buffalo haven't done anything worthwhile in a while. I don't want to hear some politician telling me I shouldn't worry when he doesn't even know. He can't guarantee us crap. He knows little more than we do. Why doesn't he actually do something, like woo some companies to come to Buffalo to get this economy going. Or how about we do something about our unsightly waterfront.