PDA

View Full Version : How could you still support the NFL if the Bills are moved?

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
That I don't get.

Bulldog
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
If the Bills move, I could care less about the NFL. It will become baseball to me. I will watch the playoffs and the championship game, and thats it.

FlyingDutchman
02-07-2008, 08:37 AM
:deadhorse

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
If the Bills move, I could care less about the NFL. It will become baseball to me. I will watch the playoffs and the championship game, and thats it.
I actually love baseball and that will move to the forefront.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
I certainly would never watch another NFL game in my life. I am more of a college football fan anyway.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I certainly would never watch another NFL game in my life. I am more of a college football fan anyway.
:hi5:

SABuffalo786
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
UB Bulls football would be very big if they keep improving.

Sabres games would sell out until the end of time.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Umm because I love football, how is that hard to comprehend?

User Manuel
02-07-2008, 08:45 AM
UB Bulls season tickets. If I did watch the NFl it would be the Browns.

Don't Panic
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
The Buffalo Bills are by far my favorite sports team out there, college or pro. Its not even really that close. The connection I have with them (and therefore with all of you), is like family. I've been going to those games since I can remember. Its as much a part of me as anything. If the Bills left Buffalo, it would be akin to the detah of a family member. That being said...

I'd still be into the NFL, but it would be at much less of an extent. Its a great game, plain and simple. I'd watch games from time to time, but it wouldn't be nearly as involved as it is now. But I wouldn't give it up... this is beacause if the Bills moved, it wouldn't completely be the NFL's fault. It would be on the shoulders of the owner more than anyone else... as it should be. Look at cities that lost their teams - they are more upset with the owner that moved them than the league itself.

Let's just hope that someone who truly cares for the city of Buffalo gets this team from Ralph and, even with a 7-1 Buf-Tor scenario, takes the profit hit of being in Buffalo and keeps the team here. I for one think that's a likely scenario.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Umm because I love football, how is that hard to comprehend?
It would be like supporting your arch enemy. I couldn't do it.

Mr. Pink
02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I still watched football after the Browns left Cleveland, it's how I became a fan of the Bills. If the Browns would have never left, I'd still not give a **** about Buffalo Bills football.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM
It would be like becoming friends with a dude who banged your girlfriend. I just couldn't do it YaY.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
It would be like supporting your arch enemy. I couldn't do it.

You make absolutely no sense at all

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
You make absolutely no sense at all
How doesn't it make sense. I obviously have a different connection to the Bills than yourself, not for the better of for worse. It is what it is.

TacklingDummy
02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
That I don't get.

Some fans are fans of more than 1 team. Personally I am just a fan of the Buffalo Bills. There is not even a close 2nd.

Come Sunday's I usually only watch Bills games. If the Bills were no more, I doubt I'd watch much football at all.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Some fans are fans of more than 1 team. Personally I am just a fan of the Buffalo Bills. There is not even a close 2nd.

Come Sunday's I usually only watch Bills games. If the Bills were no more, I doubt I'd watch much football at all.
While I personally can't be a fan of multiple teams I can see that some can.

Gunzlingr
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
If they left, I would watch that much less football. I like FF too much to give up the NFL altogether tho.

TacklingDummy
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I like FF too much to give up the NFL altogether tho.

Agreed. Although instead of watching other games to see what my fantasy players do, I just look at the box scores.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
If they left, I would watch that much less football. I like FF too much to give up the NFL altogether tho.
I do love fantasy Football but it would be done.

Devin
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I follow the Saints but no where near what I do the Bills.

Id still watch football but it would likely be a casual thing, id probably watch even more college ball then I do now. I simply love football to much to not watch.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I follow the Saints but no where near what I do the Bills.

Id still watch football but it would likely be a casual thing, id probably watch even more college ball then I do now. I simply love football to much to not watch.
Yes College football all the way.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
How doesn't it make sense. I obviously have a different connection to the Bills than yourself, not for the better of for worse. It is what it is.

You sound like an elitist right now, whether thats intentional or not

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
No I knew it was going to come off like that and it certainly wasn't meant to be. Its all a personal preference type of thing. Being the crazy Buffalo(city,teams) supporter that I am it would be a crushing blow that I could not get past. A deep hatred for the NFL and anything having to do with it would form in my heart. I know that sounds pyscotic but I can't help it. I guess I don't know the correct way to express my feelings on this issue. :ill:

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
No I knew it was going to come off like that and it certainly wasn't meant to be. Its all a personal preference type of thing. Being the crazy Buffalo(city,teams) supporter that I am it would be a crushing blow that I could not get past. A deep hatred for the NFL and anything having to do with it would form in my heart. I know that sounds pyscotic but I can't help it. I guess I don't know the correct way to express my feelings on this issue. :ill:

Therapy?

:jk:

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Therapy?

:jk:
If they move I will probably have to yes! :ill:

RedEyE
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
It would most definitly free up my weekends and I can almost guarantee that I won't be moving back to WNY.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2008, 11:00 AM

If he is among the elite, shouldn't he sound that way?

RockStar36
02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I definitely wouldn't have another NFL team if the Bills would lose. I would just casually watch, probably pay more attention to fantasy and betting, and get more into college football. Oh yeah, and I would root against Toronto.

Tatonka
02-07-2008, 11:50 AM
i guess i am in the minority, but if the bills moved to toronto, i would still root for them. i am not from buffalo, so i have a very different connection with the team. i root for the team and the players, not necessarily the city, because i have never been there. i will probably get **** on for saying that, but i love the players on the team. I havent missed a bills game in 14 years. i couldnt just stop watching them just because they were in a different city. would it feel different? sure it would. would i feel awful for the people of buffalo? sure i would. I dont want to see it happen, but it would not mean the end of the world for me.

i love the nfl and the sport of football. i would watch the nfl and college football no matter what. i gamble on football. i play fantasy football. it is just what i do on the weekends during football season. i wouldnt ever just stop watching as long as there is football to watch.

i dont know if that makes me a lesser fan than someone else who is from buffalo and goes to every home game, but i live 11 hours away from buffalo, and to be honest all the games that i have gone to (2 in dallas, 1 in philly, 1 in washington) i have always felt like it would have been better to watch the game at home anyways.

the bills will be on my tv every sunday until there is no team at all. sorry if that offends anyone, but i am sure i am not the only one that feels that way.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
i guess i am in the minority, but if the bills moved to toronto, i would still root for them. i am not from buffalo, so i have a very different connection with the team. i root for the team and the players, not necessarily the city, because i have never been there. i will probably get **** on for saying that, but i love the players on the team. I havent missed a bills game in 14 years. i couldnt just stop watching them just because they were in a different city. would it feel different? sure it would. would i feel awful for the people of buffalo? sure i would. I dont want to see it happen, but it would not mean the end of the world for me.

i love the nfl and the sport of football. i would watch the nfl and college football no matter what. i gamble on football. i play fantasy football. it is just what i do on the weekends during football season. i wouldnt ever just stop watching as long as there is football to watch.

i dont know if that makes me a lesser fan than someone else who is from buffalo and goes to every home game, but i live 11 hours away from buffalo, and to be honest all the games that i have gone to (2 in dallas, 1 in philly, 1 in washington) i have always felt like it would have been better to watch the game at home anyways.

the bills will be on my tv every sunday until there is no team at all. sorry if that offends anyone, but i am sure i am not the only one that feels that way.
Sure its different for someone who is not from Buffalo.

I would root for season ending injuries for all players on the Toronto Bills out of a severe case of spite.

Although I am a huge Yankees fan and if they where moved in a similar fashion(just for example) I would not be a fan.

Tatonka
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
why would you root for bills players to get hurt? you think the players had anything to do with the team moving? that is just crazy talk.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
why would you root for bills players to get hurt? you think the players had anything to do with the team moving? that is just crazy talk.
Because I am a spiteful bastard. I can't help it.

Voltron
02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I Like Professional Football better than any pro sport out there so I don't see anyway I could not become a fan of another team. I would never root for the Giants or Jets because the name says New York but they only play in New York when they come to Buffalo. I would not follow what ever the Bills become because it just wouldn't be the same.

On a positive note it might feel good to root for a team that doesn't have play-off droughts longer than a 2 term presidency.

Forward_Lateral
02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd follow the team to Toronto as well. I don't want to see the Bills move, but if they did move, I'd prefer Toronto.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Sure its different for someone who is not from Buffalo.

I would root for season ending injuries for all players on the Toronto Bills out of a severe case of spite.

Although I am a huge Yankees fan and if they where moved in a similar fashion(just for example) I would not be a fan.

I am from Buffalo though Thurm, born there and my parents were raise there. I still have family there but Buffalo does not make the Bills who they are. The players make the Bills who they are. The city is struggling to stay afloat right now, and the Bills need new ownership, a new stadium, and a bigger fan base. I dont think the city is equipped to handle that right now. If they move to Toronto, Ill still be a fan, Ill still watch on Sundays. Ill still post here if this site still exists. Ill still follow my Irish like a die-hard and Ill probably also follow Cleveland and Atlanta a little closer. But my heart lies with the Bills not with Buffalo, not anymore.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I am from Buffalo though Thurm, born there and my parents were raise there. I still have family there but Buffalo does not make the Bills who they are. The players make the Bills who they are. The city is struggling to stay afloat right now, and the Bills need new ownership, a new stadium, and a bigger fan base. I dont think the city is equipped to handle that right now. If they move to Toronto, Ill still be a fan, Ill still watch on Sundays. Ill still post here if this site still exists. Ill still follow my Irish like a die-hard and Ill probably also follow Cleveland and Atlanta a little closer. But my heart lies with the Bills not with Buffalo, not anymore.
I couldn't disagree with you more. To me the City and the team are 1 entity.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd follow the team to Toronto as well. I don't want to see the Bills move, but if they did move, I'd prefer Toronto.
Your a Canadian....

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more. To me the City and the team are 1 entity.

I wouldn't expect you to but thats why I always say Im a fan of the NFL. I have little to no attachment to Buffalo through the Bills. I love the city and want to see it flourish but the Bills have nothing to do with that.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't expect you to but thats why I always say Im a fan of the NFL. I have little to no attachment to Buffalo through the Bills. I love the city and want to see it flourish but the Bills have nothing to do with that.
Again I couldn't disagree more. The Success of the Bills has a direct effect on the success of the city. Losing the Bills could be a death blow to this area psycologically, economically, etc.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Again I couldn't disagree more. The Success of the Bills has a direct effect on the success of the city. Losing the Bills could be a death blow to this area psycologically, economically, etc.

Then thats sad and you guys really need to figure out what you're going to because the Bills aren't going to be around for forever. Thats piss poor planning and a direct reason as to why the Bills may in the end be leaving. You can't build a city around sports franchises they have too many ups and downs.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Then thats sad and you guys really need to figure out what you're going to because the Bills aren't going to be around for forever. Thats piss poor planning and a direct reason as to why the Bills may in the end be leaving. You can't build a city around sports franchises they have too many ups and downs.
You aren't bringing up any information we don't already know.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 01:01 PM
You aren't bringing up any information we don't already know.

Yet here we sit and you are doing little to nothing to make things change

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Yet here we sit and you are doing little to nothing to make things change
Right I better get out there and start throwing around my millions.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Right I better get out there and start throwing around my millions.

*sigh*

So much can be done yet so little seem to care

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
*sigh*

So much can be done yet so little seem to care
Explain please. I am as willing as anyone possible to do what it takes.

DraftBoy
02-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Explain please. I am as willing as anyone possible to do what it takes.

Id start by attending city council meetings, county commissioner meetings, calling your state reps and going to Albany to meet with them. Ask them what needs to happen to make Buffalo viable again. Do some research, Im sure UB has done plenty of research into what the city of Buffalo can do to become more attractive to outside investors, especially from foreign markets. Hope you have a lot of time to research and a bunch of political skills and know how.

ddaryl
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I f there is no Bills I will stop buying the Directv Sunday ticket. I will probbaly keep a small eye on the Seahawks but there is never a way any other team can earn my passion.

I haven't watch the Superbowl in years... the last time being when Seattle was in it.

If the Bills aren't part of the NFL as a Buffalo team then I basically gain my Sundays back and $350+ a year.

Pro sports in geenral are becoming an annoyance for me. I don't watch ESPN anymore, I don't follow league stas liek I used ot, and I don't bother playing fantasy leagues. I just getting sick and tired of the greed and economics happening to a form of entertainment that should be attainable to most every American instead of those with the financial well being to keep up.

But as long as the Bills and Sabres play I have a reason to watch and follow.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Id start by attending city council meetings, county commissioner meetings, calling your state reps and going to Albany to meet with them. Ask them what needs to happen to make Buffalo viable again. Do some research, Im sure UB has done plenty of research into what the city of Buffalo can do to become more attractive to outside investors, especially from foreign markets. Hope you have a lot of time to research and a bunch of political skills and know how.
I will look into this. I don't have political skills(whatever that means) however.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I f there is no Bills I will stop buying the Directv Sunday ticket. I will probbaly keep a small eye on the Seahawks but there is never a way any other team can earn my passion.

I haven't watch the Superbowl in years... the last time being when Seattle was in it.

If the Bills aren't part of the NFL as a Buffalo team then I basically gain my Sundays back and $350+ a year.

Pro sports in geenral are becoming an annoyance for me. I don't watch ESPN anymore, I don't follow league stas liek I used ot, and I don't bother playing fantasy leagues. I just getting sick and tired of the greed and economics happening to a form of entertainment that should be attainable to most every American instead of those with the financial well being to keep up.

But as long as the Bills and Sabres play I have a reason to watch and follow.
:bf1:

Forward_Lateral
02-07-2008, 01:33 PM
While I understand why fans in Buffalo would be pissed off if the Bills moved, wouldn't you prefer them to move only a few miles away to Toronto, instead of LA, or does it just not matter where they'd move? What if they moved to Rochester?

Michael82
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I would just casually watch NFL games here and there and lean towards eventually tuning it off, except the playoffs and Super Bowl. At first I would follow some of the current players that I like, but eventually I would stop following them for good and root for the opponents. I would root strongly against the Toronto team and will join any and all protests against the team and sign every petition possible to make sure we get to hold onto the team name, logo, uniforms, history and all the stuff tied to the Buffalo Bills.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
The biggest key is that we need Western NY to join together as one. Instead of Rochester and Buffalo hating eachother and laughing at eachother, we need to unite and strengthen our economies.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
While I understand why fans in Buffalo would be pissed off if the Bills moved, wouldn't you prefer them to move only a few miles away to Toronto, instead of LA, or does it just not matter where they'd move? What if they moved to Rochester?
I would rather have them move to LA seriously. I would lose my mind if they were close enough to be constantly reminded of them. If they moved to LA they would be out of sight and out of mind. I don't need to worry about Rochester, although if a stadium was built half way in between Blo and Rochester I would be fine.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
The biggest key is that we need Western NY to join together as one. Instead of Rochester and Buffalo hating eachother and laughing at eachother, we need to unite and strengthen our economies.
Agreed!!!!

Buffalo :hi5: Rochester.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Agreed!!!!

Buffalo :hi5: Rochester.
I'm surprised they they don't try to work together on different things to bring big companies to western NY. Sure if one came to Buffalo, it would suck for us, but it would benefit both of us in the long term.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
If they happened to move within Texas or a state away there's no way I wouldn't support them. But I won't support them moving to California (too many :limp: and Democrats) and I won't support them moving to Canada (same reason as California.)

Night Train
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
The Bills may relocate but the NFL will shrink. Jacksonville, Cinci, Oakland and a few others cannot afford the skyrocketing costs either.

That's why I've been predicting a new football league within 10 years. Big empty stadiums, a ready fanbase, plenty of out of work players, sane economics and a non-NFL Network looking for a rating boost.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I will look into this. I don't have political skills(whatever that means) however.
Then get a lawyer and start suing some people.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
The Bills may relocate but the NFL will shrink. Jacksonville, Cinci, Oakland and a few others cannot afford the skyrocketing costs either.

That's why I've been predicting a new football league within 10 years. Big empty stadiums, a ready fanbase, plenty of out of work players, sane economics and a non-NFL Network looking for a rating boost.
arent they already starting a new league?

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Then get a lawyer and start suing some people.
SUE EVERYBODY!

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 03:29 PM
SUE EVERYBODY!
Sometimes it opens peoples ears.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM

I've been predicting the same thing...a new AFL/NFL type situation and teams like Buffalo, Cincinatti, Jacksonville and Cleveland will be in the smaller league and do really well. :up:

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I've been predicting the same thing...a new AFL/NFL type situation and teams like Buffalo, Cincinatti, Jacksonville and Cleveland will be in the smaller league and do really well. :up:
Wow....

Mr. Pink
02-07-2008, 04:46 PM

And within 5 years of it's start the league will fold. Much like every other league that's ever started while the NFL has been around. Except the AFL which became merged. Or Arena League Football where you have new teams on almost a yearly basis. How many people went to Destroyers games here? 12?

USFL, WFL, XFL, AAFC, the two CFL teams that used to be in the USA, World League of American Football.

How did any of those do?

History lesson....the USFL sued the NFL and received 2 dollars. The NFL is a HUGE conglomerate corporation. Another football league becomming economically viable is about as likely as seeing a T-Rex in your backyard tomorrow.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Which means it's a monopoly in violation of United States antitrust laws. It must go by the way of Standard Oil and be forcibly broken up.

Tatonka
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM

it will never happen. the nfl is as strong as it has ever been.

gr8slayer
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
it will never happen. the nfl is as strong as it has ever been.
Dude, this is just the stupid ass locals dreaming. The NFL isn't going anywhere, it's an economic powerhouse and it's only getting stronger.

Trust me, the NFL will make it without the cities of Jacksonville and Buffalo.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Even though I was a Giants fan before the Bills came into existence, if the Bills were to move from Buffalo (and Buffalo were not given a replacement franchise as Cleveland was), I would stop being a pro football fan and would give no support whatsoever to the NFL.

Moreover, I would put the same curse on the franchise (that would have moved) that I put on the Buffalo Braves when they moved to LA and became the Clip-heads: the Clippers will NEVER win a NBA Championship--and have been pretty much a joke since leaving Buffalo.

I will only support the NFL if there is a franchise based in Buffalo. Period.

Night Train
02-08-2008, 04:11 AM
[quote=ddaryl]IPro sports in general are becoming an annoyance for me. I don't watch ESPN anymore, I don't follow league stats like I used to, and I don't bother playing fantasy leagues. I just getting sick and tired of the greed and economics happening to a form of entertainment that should be attainable to most every American instead of those with the financial well being to keep up.[quote]

:bf1:

BADTHINGSMAN
02-08-2008, 04:18 AM
If there were no more Bills, Id still watch football, Id roote for the Browns but could never consider myself a fan of the Browns as I was the Bills..

Sundays - Football = Boring

don137
02-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I love pro football and keep watching but it would never be the same. It would have an empty feeling like losing a part of oneself. I live in Charlotte and have season tickets to the Panthers because I enoy the game and tailgating but I am a diehard Bills fan and just a casual fan of the Panthers. I just would not be as passionate anymore.
I could never support the team if it went elsewhere. I wouldn't wish harm on the players but I would be happy to see them do bad. I could never see joy in a team doing well knowing that the owner ripped the hearts out of western New Yorkers by taking away their team.

mybills
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I actually love baseball and that will move to the forefront.
I actually love football, so that's my answer.

btw, I didn't read past this post of yours. :D

Voltron
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Which means it's a monopoly in violation of United States antitrust laws. It must go by the way of Standard Oil and be forcibly broken up.
It is not considered a monopoly or in non-compliance of any anti-trust laws what so ever. No one is stopping anyone from starting up a new league. Baseball is the only Pro Sport that is an exception to this.

The exemption is founded in the 1922 Federal Baseball case. In Federal Baseball the Supreme Court affirmed a U.S. District of Columbia Court of Appeals ruling that baseball was a sport, not interstate commerce—and thus not subject to the Sherman Antitrust Act.

joekurtz
02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry, but if the Bills do wind up moving to Toronto at some point in the future, I'd remain a fan. This, despite my having been born & raised in Buffalo.

When my grandparents moved here from the UK early last century, many of their relatives chose to move a wee bit further north than they did. Therefore, I've got a lot of family in Ontario.
Not only that, but I also happen to have a lot of personal & political views that are more Canadian than American as well, so I've always felt sort of "half Canadian" anyhow. So, there's no way I'd start hating the Bills if they moved 90 minutes or so up the QEW.

Would I be disappointed that they left? Hell yeah. But, quite honestly, I'm a television Bills fan that just can't afford to go to the home games that are played literally 10 minutes up the road from me anyhow. So, my Bills experience wouldn't be altered much regardless.

Probably the biggest thing to get used to would be calling then whatever the new Canadian owners would decide to re-name them. Which, I'm sure would happen because the Toronto Bills neither makes sense nor sounds right. Plus, I'm sure they'd want to give the team something with a strong Canadian identity as well.

Nighthawk
02-08-2008, 06:06 PM
If the Bills aren't in Buffalo, then I have no reason to be a fan of them. I would then be a free agent and would be able to pick any team that I would want to root for. I would be way to angry over Toronto taking our team and always would root against them.