PDA

View Full Version : Campbell Deal could depend on No Trade Clause

User Manuel
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Bob McKenzie of TSn.ca is reporting that it appears the only thing holding up a potential Campbell extension is the inclusion of a no-trade clause.

Apparently he cannot sign a contract with a NTC until after July 1 by contract rules. Therefore a handshake deal would depend on either side keeping their word.

Interesting.

THATHURMANATOR
02-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Very nice!

Michael82
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Apparently he cannot sign a contract with a NTC until after July 1 by contract rules.

That is the first I have ever heard of that. It sounds to me like they are saying that, just so the Sabres don't trade him and he becomes a FA. :ill:

User Manuel
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Here is an excerpt from the article:

"In other news, while some speculate the Buffalo Sabres may be close to signing defenceman Brian Campbell, here's why that's a longshot to happen right now.

Campbell is looking for a long-term deal, at least six years and maybe as much as seven years, at no less than $6 million per year. That may or may not be too rich or too long for the dollar-conscious Sabres, but there's a technicality that could prove troublesome.

According to section 11:08 of the CBA on the issue of no-movement clauses, which is something Campbell is going to want, he is not entitled to it until July 1. So if he agrees to terms with the Sabres on an extension before then, the Sabres could technically trade him either before the Feb. 26 deadline or after the season has ended for Buffalo.

That may not be a chance he's prepared to take.

One might suggest that if he re-ups with Buffalo, he'll get some assurances from the Sabres he won't be moved between now and July 1, but those verbal deals aren't worth the paper they're not printed upon.

The flip side of that argument is Campbell and the Sabres could agree on term and money on an extension but not actually sign it, but the Sabres may not be any more interested in verbal assurances from Campbell that he won't go to unrestricted free agency than Campbell would be in a verbal no-trade."

SabreEleven
02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
That is the first I have ever heard of that. It sounds to me like they are saying that, just so the Sabres don't trade him and he becomes a FA. :ill:

You didn't know who Gilbert Perreault is, but you are a hockey contract expert? go figure :snicker:

RockStar36
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Don't wait.

If he wants to wait until July 1st just trade him now. There is no sense in taking the risk that he is going to be good on his word.

Michael82
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't wait.

If he wants to wait until July 1st just trade him now. There is no sense in taking the risk that he is going to be good on his word.
Exactly.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=12054&catid=23

<iframe width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" src="http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/embed?type=fvod&id=12054"></iframe>

Nighthawk
02-07-2008, 06:14 PM
No way I keep him on a handshake deal. If this is true, trade him. Also, I wouldn't pay him 6 million a year...he's not worth it. Trade him and get some value and good players in return!

Dr. Lecter
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
If they give him 6 million per for 6 years, I will go nuts.

That will be an awful deal and if that is what he wants, they are right in not signing him.

Michael82
02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
If they give him 6 million per for 6 years, I will go nuts.

That will be an awful deal and if that is what he wants, they are right in not signing him.
how is it nuts? Have you seen what players are signing for now a days? It actually would be a fair deal, considering that he will probably get 8 million per year if he leaves.

Dr. Lecter
02-08-2008, 08:13 AM
how is it nuts? Have you seen what players are signing for now a days? It actually would be a fair deal, considering that he will probably get 8 million per year if he leaves.

Because others overpay does not mean the Sabres should.

Look at it this way:

Vanek = $7 million per
Campbell = $6 million per
Miller will get about 6 too.

$19 million tied up in three guys on a $50 million cap?

Also, Campbell will not get 8 million per. I guarentee it. Pheauf, a better defenseman than Campbell, got 6.5 million per.

Hell, Campbell is not even the Sabres best defenseman. Over paying for guys is what will kill this team. If they sign Campbell for that much they will have a small number of high priced guys and an entire team of Mike Ryan's.

Michael82
02-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Because others overpay does not mean the Sabres should.

Look at it this way:

Vanek = $7 million per
Campbell = $6 million per
Miller will get about 6 too.

$19 million tied up in three guys on a $50 million cap?

Also, Campbell will not get 8 million per. I guarentee it. Pheauf, a better defenseman than Campbell, got 6.5 million per.

Hell, Campbell is not even the Sabres best defenseman. Over paying for guys is what will kill this team. If they sign Campbell for that much they will have a small number of high priced guys and an entire team of Mike Ryan's.
with the way the league is going and how stupid they are, the cap will be up to $75 million in another couple years. :ill:

JD
02-08-2008, 10:46 AM
It wont go that high Mikey, the GM's will just go on strike if it gets more out of control than it already is. When that happens, I'm pretty sure that will be the last we see of Gary Bettman.... thank god!

SabreEleven
02-08-2008, 03:07 PM
GM's don't go on strike.
Players go on strike
Owners implement a lock out.

The players won't go on strike, they have it too good.

I bet they'll be a lock out before 2010.