PDA

View Full Version : Two draft trades

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Entirely speculative, but what does the Zone think about these two draft day trades I saw proposed on a mock:

*The Minnesota Vikings trade the 17th, 74th, and 2009 4th round draft pick for the 11th pick held by the Buffalo Bills.

*The Buffalo Bills trade the 72nd and 73rd picks to the Chicago Bears for the 45th pick.

That would give us a mid 1st, two relatively early 2nds and an early 3rd. I like it because I feel the players best suited for us at #11 will most likely be there at #17 and there is a lot of talent at the top of the 2nd round. Here's the mock (which I'm not the biggest fan of since they have my boy Branden Albert going in the 5th):

http://likeseriouslywtf.blogspot.com/2008/02/2008-nfl-mock-draft-rounds-1-5-feb.html

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I am all for this

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
If they can get Fred Davis at 17 I can live with that.

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I was hoping Rivers would still be there at #17, bit at least we're talking about the same school!

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Works for me.

SquishDaFish
02-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I like it

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Whilst the idea is good, the actual draft seems out of date .... was it done before the senior bowl? It seems to be inconsistent with most other drafts concerning which players are going in which rounds.

I think R1 for a marginally sized TE is a bad decision. I would rather me look at the trenches on the DL first, followed by the No2 WR, and then consider TE ....

Dropping into the 20s would give us a R2 and I'd like to go with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I am tired of the undersized DL experiment ... we need some size in the middle - if we compare Triplett/Williams with Robbins/Cofield we are down by 24lbs .... this must have an impact

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 10:02 AM
The mock was dated 2/7, but like I said, I wasn't a big fan either. I did like the trades though and wanted to point them out. Along that thought... I'm feeling that there might be a little better chance of seeing us move around now. I know Marv traded up to get McCargo, but he was pretty conservative in his approach to the draft (for example, he probably could have had Whitner later and grabbed another pick in the process). The new Brain Trust might be a little more willing to take some chances.

TigerJ
02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
The trade's OK. I disagree with Redeye on Davis though. That would make me puke. #17 would be a nice place to take Malcolm Kelly though, who's still available at #17 in this mock, or Dan Conner, or even Mike Jenkins.

VeggieMan14
02-09-2008, 07:17 AM
yes yes yes :limpclap:

YardRat
02-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I hate taking a TE in the first round.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I hate taking a TE in the first round.
Why? It's changed the tide for a few teams (Ravens, Giants, Cowboys.) It's become one of those positions that can make or break you and is vital to a young QB's development.

hydro
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I believe Whitten was drafted in Round 3.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
I believe Whitten was drafted in Round 3.
:up: Shows you what a big fan I am of the Cowboys huh?

My point was the fact that a good TE can turn the tide for an offense.

Night Train
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Fred Davis at the Senior Bowl was measured at just over 6-2. In the 1st round ? I have my doubts.

hydro
02-09-2008, 06:45 PM
:up: Shows you what a big fan I am of the Cowboys huh?

My point was the fact that a good TE can turn the tide for an offense.

There is no doubt a TE can make a difference. But does it have to take our first round pick? Probably not.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
There is no doubt a TE can make a difference. But does it have to take our first round pick? Probably not.
If the coaches deem it the missing link then why not? I've met some coaches who don't think you should take an RB or OL in the first round but every year teams do it...... It's all in the eye of the beholder my friend.

hydro
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea if there was another can't miss prospect like Vernon Davis but I don't think there is anyone in this draft like that. Although there still is the Combine to go...

Mitchell55
02-09-2008, 07:14 PM
If the coaches deem it the missing link then why not? I've met some coaches who don't think you should take an RB or OL in the first round but every year teams do it...... It's all in the eye of the beholder my friend.

Remember Greg Olsen? 1st round dud. At least so far.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Remember Greg Olsen? 1st round dud. At least so far.
What are you talking about man, he hasn't even seen the field enough to begin talking about him being a dud. He was also a bargain at where they got him.

Hell, thus far Vernon Davis is a big of a dud as anyone.

Confused
02-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I would rather have manningham our 1st pick in the 2nd round, then grab rogers-cromaterie in the 3rd. I like fred davis in the 1st.

feelthepain
02-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Entirely speculative, but what does the Zone think about these two draft day trades I saw proposed on a mock:

*The Minnesota Vikings trade the 17th, 74th, and 2009 4th round draft pick for the 11th pick held by the Buffalo Bills.

*The Buffalo Bills trade the 72nd and 73rd picks to the Chicago Bears for the 45th pick.

That would give us a mid 1st, two relatively early 2nds and an early 3rd. I like it because I feel the players best suited for us at #11 will most likely be there at #17 and there is a lot of talent at the top of the 2nd round. Here's the mock (which I'm not the biggest fan of since they have my boy Branden Albert going in the 5th):

http://likeseriouslywtf.blogspot.com/2008/02/2008-nfl-mock-draft-rounds-1-5-feb.html

To involved, I think the more complicated a trade becomes, the less likely it will happen.

PECKERWOOD
02-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Olsen and Miller have both looked promising so far, yall are smoking too much mary jane if you say otherwise.. Davis on the other hand has been the biggest dud, I still think that he is going to turn it around though and be an elite player.

YardRat
02-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Why? It's changed the tide for a few teams (Ravens, Giants, Cowboys.) It's become one of those positions that can make or break you and is vital to a young QB's development.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl w/a free agent, the Giants with a back-up, and Whitten wasn't a first rounder as hydro pointed out.

Mostly, though, because I still get a nervous twitch whenever anybody mentions Tony Hunter or Rueben Gant.

TE's are integral, but they are just above kickers and punters on draft day...Try to get a real difference maker in the first and grab the TE later.

kernowboy
02-10-2008, 03:14 AM
A TE with a R3 pick will so

Keller
Carlson
Bennett

etc

LifetimeBillsFan
02-11-2008, 01:41 AM
To involved, I think the more complicated a trade becomes, the less likely it will happen.

For once, I totally agree with you FTP (this may actually be a first!).

While there sometimes are a fair amount of trades that happen on draft day, a lot of fans and draftniks simply don't realize just how hard it is for a team to actually make a trade if and when it wants to on draft day--especially if it is a complicated trade. That's why trades are hard to predict and even just one should not be counted on happening before it actually gets done.

Two trades, particularly ones with as many moving parts as these two have, are exponentially more difficult to consumate.

While, if things go as many draft sites are predicting, I would like to see the Bills try to move down in the draft and I think that, depending on who is still left on the board at # 11, they may very well attempt to do so, I wouldn't necessarily count on the Bills being able to do so. As I see it, there are likely to be more teams looking to move down at the top of the first round than are likely to be looking to move up and that will probably make it much more difficult for the Bills to pull of the kind of deal that they are likely to want to get. As a result, the Bills may have to take a player that they really want a few spots higher than that player is projected to go. And, if that happens, I won't be upset with them for doing that.

With their needs, I'm sure they will be looking at certain players in the first round and, depending on how the first 10 picks go, will be talking with a number of teams about trades to see if they can pick up another pick or two and still get a one of those players that they really want. Whether they make a deal or not will likely depend on how much of a risk they will be taking that they may miss out on all of these players if they make a deal and whether that risk is worth what they will be getting in return.

I can see them jumping on a particular player if he is still on the board at # 11. I can also see them making a deal to trade down and picking up an extra pick or two. But, I can also see them trying to trade down and not being able to find a deal that will allow them to get one of the the players that they really want in the first round and, as a result, passing on a trade and staying put at # 11. I think that it is going to be very hard to accurately predict what the Bills will end up actually doing in the draft before Draft Day this year. Stil, I would be very surprised to see them be able to pull off two deals as complicated as these at the top of their draft.