PDA

View Full Version : Could (Rochester Native) Glazer steal the Bills from Buffalo?

Stewie
04-07-2003, 06:01 PM
According to some various reports, Malcolm Glazer wants to buy the Dodgers and eventually have an NFL team in LA. Now, he's from Rochester, but has shown no interest in funneling his money into the area (all his major ventures have been elsewhere). This is why I think he may do something like move the beloved Bills out of WNY.

In order to own both an MLB and an NFL team, he would have to sell the Bucs first (because the teams he owned would have to play in the same market).

I think its entirely possible that he could sell his Bucs while they're valued high, and buy the Dodgers. He could then put a stadium package together (over the next couple years) and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily.

Does anyone else see this as a possibility? Ralphie's family has no interest in keeping the team after he passes away. That lease extension doesn't last forever, and from what I remember it wouldn't take much (in the grand scheme of moving a team) to buy it out.

I hope I'm wrong :(

THATHURMANATOR
04-07-2003, 06:19 PM
" and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily."

For one Wilson will have to be dead. Secondly I doubt it would be easy to move the Bills. This is all heresay. Where have you heard that he is interested in doing anything like this.

Schobel94
04-07-2003, 06:21 PM
NEVER!!! There would be hell to pay if this happened, I would personally assasinate him before he could move my Bills.

Stewie
04-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
" and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily."

For one Wilson will have to be dead. Secondly I doubt it would be easy to move the Bills. This is all heresay. Where have you heard that he is interested in doing anything like this.

Of course its heresey, thats why I said "I think" and "could" for everything :)

I read about his interest in purchasing the dodgers from pretty much every sports website, and he'd have to sell the bucs to do it.

BTW, you think Wilson is going to live much longer? I mean, I hope he lives another 85 years, but its not going to happen.. I think its reasonable to think he might be gone by the time they get an approved stadium deal in LA.

If memory serves, the Bills lease is due up in 2011, and can be bought out for a sum that goes down every year it gets closer to that point. Put it this way, if it comes down to having to pay say $30 million to knock Buffalo (or any other team) out of their lease to complete a move, you think that will stop anybody from putting a billion dollar franchise in LA??

Dicknoze69
04-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
NEVER!!! There would be hell to pay if this happened, I would personally assasinate him before he could move my Bills.

Took the words right out of my mouth. We'd have a whole army of people after him.

Mr. Miyagi
04-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Some billionaire from Rochester will buy the Bills and keep them there. What's his name who bought the Sabres?

Earthquake Enyart
04-08-2003, 08:20 AM
First, Fox spent a fortune a couple of years ago to buy the Dodgers, so they will not come cheap.

Somehow, I think the Colts are the team that will end up in LA.

I wish someone would get a team there before Ralph passes away because when he does kick the bucket, all bets are off.

Mr. Miyagi
04-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Maybe when ol' Ralphie passes, they should turn the team public and have everyone in the area buy stocks of the team, much like the Green Bay Packers. That way, we can be sure to make the team stay in the area.

Heck, I'd buy some stocks too.

Typ0
04-08-2003, 09:36 AM
The Bills are not going to move. This is a good market for the NFL and the franchise has proven a good business proposition. LA has tried franchises several times and it has failed. If a team is going to move there it's going to be a team that is having trouble in their market like New Orleans or Arizona. Indy could be a target but I think the people there really love the Colts they just aren't happy about the team being located in the dome and want a new stadium built.

WG
04-08-2003, 09:41 AM
I didn't realize that Glazer owned the Bills...

:rolleyes:

Earthquake Enyart
04-08-2003, 09:46 AM
The NFL never wanted to be in that cow town, Indianapolis in the first place....

Typ0
04-08-2003, 10:02 AM
It is kind of a screwed up place...:D

Stewie
04-08-2003, 10:30 AM
The current value placed on the dodgers (by forbes) is very close to the current value placed on the bucs..

I agree that teams like AZ, SD, and Indy might be more likely to move than Buffalo, but anyone who thinks that Buffalo isn't in the top 5 or top 7 relocation candidates has their head in the sand.

Teams failed in LA because of the city's refusal to guarantee them a new stadium in the past.

Dozerdog
04-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Teams on the "Block" to move to LA In order of probability

1) Indianapolis- Stadium issues

1-A) Minnesota- see above

2) San Diego- Working on a new Stadium, the Padres have a new baseball only stadium done. Chargers already signed a deal to hold Training Camp in the LA Area

3) Arizona- Have a new Stadium deal, but it could fall through- wait until they actually start shovelling dirt before taking them off the list.

4) Buffalo- Lease is up soon (well, not "completely up", but a cheap buy out)- Depends on Ralph's health.

Other rumored cities in the past few years- New Orleans (stadium issues) Carolina (attendance)

BillsNYC
04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Some billionaire from Rochester will buy the Bills and keep them there. What's his name who bought the Sabres?

did somebody finnally buy the sabres?

R. Rich
04-08-2003, 03:55 PM
I hope they never leave Buffalo!! I'd also like to see them take the team public ala the Packers. I would be more than happy to buy some stock in my team.

Stewie
04-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC

did somebody finnally buy the sabres?

Yea Tom Golisano did. If you've heard of him its either cause a> you work for paychex or b> he recently ran for governernor on the independent ballot.

That fool spent $75 million of his own money to lose big time. Coulda used that as a down payment on the Bills :)

The_Philster
04-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by R Rich
I hope they never leave Buffalo!! I'd also like to see them take the team public ala the Packers. I would be more than happy to buy some stock in my team.

Can't be done. The NFL by-laws require a team to have a majority owner. The only reason the Packers get away with it is because they had their ownership system in place before that particular by-law in place.

Stewie
04-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Can't be done. The NFL by-laws require a team to have a majority owner. The only reason the Packers get away with it is because they had their ownership system in place before that particular by-law in place.

If one entity owned a majority of shares, could it be done then? In other words, could Golisano theoretically buy 100% of the team, then donate (HA HA) or sell 45% of the team to public entites that aren't going anywhere (schools, local charities, ect).

The_Philster
04-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Probably, yes.

Judge
04-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by paulB
... Malcolm Glazer wants to buy the Dodgers and eventually have an NFL team in LA. ...
I think its entirely possible that he could sell his Bucs while they're valued high, and buy the Dodgers. He could then put a stadium package together (over the next couple years) and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily.

Does anyone else see this as a possibility?

Talk about far-fetched! How do you people dream up all of these doomsday scenarios?

Ridiculous.

RedEyE
04-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Sounds like too many 'what ifs', 'maybes', and 'if this happens'. As long as Ralph is alive, the Bills will remain in Buffalo.

Stewie
04-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Judge

Talk about far-fetched! How do you people dream up all of these doomsday scenarios?

Ridiculous.

I bet a lot of people in Baltimore used to say the same thing about the Colts. Probably the people in LA used to say it about the Rams and Raiders.

If you told a Canadian hockey fan 20 years ago that their storied franchises would be bankrupt and move to America, you think they'd believe that?

You think the idea of buying an easy to acquire team like Buffalo and moving it is far fetched?? :confused:

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2003, 10:52 AM
"Of course its heresey, thats why I said "I think" and "could" for everything

I read about his interest in purchasing the dodgers from pretty much every sports website, and he'd have to sell the bucs to do it.

BTW, you think Wilson is going to live much longer? I mean, I hope he lives another 85 years, but its not going to happen.. I think its reasonable to think he might be gone by the time they get an approved stadium deal in LA.

If memory serves, the Bills lease is due up in 2011, and can be bought out for a sum that goes down every year it gets closer to that point. Put it this way, if it comes down to having to pay say $30 million to knock Buffalo (or any other team) out of their lease to complete a move, you think that will stop anybody from putting a billion dollar franchise in LA??"

For one thing 2011 is 8 years away. Who knows what will happen by then. Secondly assuming Ralph is gone the guy still has to buy the team. Why bother even worrying about something like this. As far as Golisano goes I think he will do well with the Sabres. He seems to have a lot of great ideas for the team. The guy is a great businessman do you think he would just plop down 75 mil without having a plan to make money? I doubt it.

Judge
04-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by paulB

I bet a lot of people in Baltimore used to say the same thing about the Colts. Probably the people in LA used to say it about the Rams and Raiders.

If you told a Canadian hockey fan 20 years ago that their storied franchises would be bankrupt and move to America, you think they'd believe that?

You think the idea of buying an easy to acquire team like Buffalo and moving it is far fetched?? :confused:

OK, prove that Glazer wants to sell the Bucs and then do anything else regarding an NFL team in LA. I think you made that scenario up in your head, completely. Very creative, though. I'll give you credit for that.

I didn't say it was impossible for the Bills to move elsewhere. I said your idea is WAY out there in the realm of reality. Can I have some of what you're smoking?

:mex:

The Natrix
04-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Paul B, I am glad you made this post because I am now certain that the senario would never happen.

Stewie
04-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Judge

OK, prove that Glazer wants to sell the Bucs and then do anything else regarding an NFL team in LA.

Proof (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/pro/buccaneers/orl-sptglazer06040603apr06,0,7068755.story?coll=orl-bucs)

Still think its way beyond the realm of reality that a top 5 candidate for relocation (Buffalo) could be the team that gets placed in LA?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

:mex:

Hell no it's all mine!!! muahahahaha :smoke:

TigerJ
04-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Ralph is in his early 80s, I think. He seems to be in pretty good health, but you never know. The Bills will be sold upon his death. The Wilson family doesn't have the money to pay the "death tax" and maintain ownership, plain and simple. The lease buyout is a pittance, but Wilson does seem to have some loyalty to the WNY area despite having made a threat or two over the years. Some have speculated that he has already been in conversation with one or more prospective buyers who would agree to keep the team in Buffalo. Since the Bills have generally been a money making team, it's not too much of a stretch to think there might be some buyers who would let the Bills stay put. I'm hoping at least.

Typ0
04-10-2003, 02:12 AM
If one entity owned a majority of shares, could it be done then? In other words, could Golisano theoretically buy 100% of the team, then donate (HA HA) or sell 45% of the team to public entites that aren't going anywhere (schools, local charities, ect).

Actually I think this is what he plans to do with the Sabres.

Earthquake Enyart
04-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Ralph is being kept alive by computers. He will never die.

Fat Tony
04-10-2003, 08:22 AM
The last people on earth I want in charge of Ralph's health are Nerds
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Ralph is being kept alive by computers. He will never die.