PDA

View Full Version : Collins: New Stadium For Bills?

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=3038

(WGR 550)- Erie County executive Chris Collins added a new wrinkle to the ongoing Bills saga, throwing a new stadium into the mix during an interview on WGR's sister station, Newsradio 930 WBEN.

"I will not be surprised that a new stadium is going to be somewhere on the table when it comes time to renegotiate the lease," Collins told WBEN's Dave Debo.

When asked where he'd place the stadium, Collins indicated a new direction for the team.

"We said many years ago it was a mistake to put the stadium outside the city," he said. "If we're going to build a new one, let's do it right this time."

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd be down for that, especially when I don't live in WNY and have to fund the new stadium with my taxes.

Night Train
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
There is ZERO parking downtown and no one wants to tailgate with heavy wind blowing off the river/lake.

Collins needs to think before he speaks.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
There is ZERO parking downtown and no one wants to tailgate with heavy wind blowing off the river/lake.

I would rather have it DT myself.

hydro
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM

I am pretty sure there were zero parking areas that were going to benefit the new Cleveland Browns stadium before it was built in 1999 but when it was put up, so were parking ramps which solved the problem.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 11:01 AM
The Bills don't need a new stadium and it won't happen.

BAM
02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I kind of like it where it is, but I also think it'd be beneficial to the City of Buffalo to have it downtown somewhere.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I kind of like it where it is, but I also think it'd be beneficial to the City of Buffalo to have it downtown somewhere.
Yeah, and it would be beneficial to us if you would bring out that POTY video :cuss:

Tiburon1724
02-08-2008, 11:35 AM
They have one of the oldest stadiums in the league. It's an embarrassment. The location is embarrassing too.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
They have one of the oldest stadiums in the league. It's an embarrassment. The location is embarrassing too.
So do KC, Chicago, Greenbay, are they embarrassing too? There's tradition in the Ralph, that's something that you can't get at the new Texas Stadium or Arizona.

bigbub2352
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
That would be the best thing that could happen to downtown ever! It proally wont happen but it would defintly be a new direction for sure, and would be the most positive thing to happen to the city in a long long long etc time

trapezeus
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I want the bills to stay. if a new stadium is feasible in downtown, and the restaurants and stores down there can benefit from 74,000 people down there on sundays, i'm all for it. if tailgating has to change and evolve, i'm all for it. If the new stadium makes it easier for Toronto people to come here for the games, i am for it.

the plan for the stadium has to be sound. i don't want to see a stadium go up with all possible revenues going to one man who has continuously held a gun to our collective heads at any moment of strife.

It's good to hear collins chime in on a new stadium instead of lower level politicians and Jimbo who have a lot of red tape to have to go through.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I want the bills to stay. if a new stadium is feasible in downtown, and the restaurants and stores down there can benefit from 74,000 people down there on sundays, i'm all for it. if tailgating has to change and evolve, i'm all for it. If the new stadium makes it easier for Toronto people to come here for the games, i am for it.

the plan for the stadium has to be sound. i don't want to see a stadium go up with all possible revenues going to one man who has continuously held a gun to our collective heads at any moment of strife.

It's good to hear collins chime in on a new stadium instead of lower level politicians and Jimbo who have a lot of red tape to have to go through.
Exactly. I am up for anything at this point.

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry but the parking excuse is completely over used. There are plenty of places to build a new stadium downtown with parking.

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Without a new stadium, there will always be constant speculation about the Bills moving.

The cost of stadium need not be that high. A version of the Qwest stadium incorporating a sliding roof - as the design appears to have initially incorporated would be cheap build and bring maybe 70,000 seats. Naming rights would help and then there is the Super Bowl.

People will say this won't happen but a much more massive event is being held in New Zealand in 2011 - the Rugby World Cup with thousands and thousands of additional fans and this problem is being overcome by the use of ocean cruise liners.

Do you want to keep the Bills or keep the tailgaiting?

Typ0
02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
So do KC, Chicago, Greenbay, are they embarrassing too? There's tradition in the Ralph, that's something that you can't get at the new Texas Stadium or Arizona.

in the last few years both Chicago and Green Bay we're set and financed to build new stadiums and they balked at it in favor of revamping what they had to preserve the history that was there. I have never been to Lambeau but Had been to Soldier field before the changes and I can understand why they did. When you were in there you could smell the history and feel the entirety of events played in that stadium. I never felt that way in the Ralph by the way.

It amazes me how many downplay this stadium thing. It would be good for Buffalo. It's also the one thing that could keep the team here. Not only would it just plain be nice but the franchise entering a long term agreement on a new stadium is going to keep them where they are period. And it's going to take that long term agreement to get the stadium built.

I have thought for a long time that all of RW grandstanding is to position himself stealthlike for a new stadium. He's bantering about leaving and the one thing NYS can do to keep the team is pony up an offer for a stadium. I bet he would jump on it. In that case, I would take back all the bad things I've said about him. I just don't think he's that astutue but maybe.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Agreed Typo.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
in the last few years both Chicago and Green Bay we're set and financed to build new stadiums and they balked at it in favor of revamping what they had to preserve the history that was there. I have never been to Lambeau but Had been to Soldier field before the changes and I can understand why they did. When you were in there you could smell the history and feel the entirety of events played in that stadium. I never felt that way in the Ralph by the way.

It amazes me how many downplay this stadium thing. It would be good for Buffalo. It's also the one thing that could keep the team here. Not only would it just plain be nice but the franchise entering a long term agreement on a new stadium is going to keep them where they are period. And it's going to take that long term agreement to get the stadium built.

I have thought for a long time that all of RW grandstanding is to position himself stealthlike for a new stadium. He's bantering about leaving and the one thing NYS can do to keep the team is pony up an offer for a stadium. I bet he would jump on it. In that case, I would take back all the bad things I've said about him. I just don't think he's that astutue but maybe.
I did and I've been to all three.

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 01:22 PM
In the Premiership in England there have been a number of new stadiums built. In each case, the building of the stadium has been a catalyst for re-generation of the entire region

People mention the sale of luxury boxes and seats and whilst at the older stadium this was a problem, local business has fallen over itself to purchase these leases at the newer venues - they want to be part of that redevelopment.

As long as you use an old antiquated stadium as a barometer to measure the challenge in selling certain types of seating, you will always struggle to justify building a new stadium

The measurement needs to be how much revenue streams have improved at locations like Seattle, Arizona, Baltimore, Tampa etc with the move from the old stadium to the new one. I bet you'll discover businesses and investors who had no prior interest have jumped on the bandwagon

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
In the Premiership in England there have been a number of new stadiums built. In each case, the building of the stadium has been a catalyst for re-generation of the entire region

People mention the sale of luxury boxes and seats and whilst at the older stadium this was a problem, local business has fallen over itself to purchase these leases at the newer venues - they want to be part of that redevelopment.

As long as you use an old antiquated stadium as a barometer to measure the challenge in selling certain types of seating, you will always struggle to justify building a new stadium

The measurement needs to be how much revenue streams have improved at locations like Seattle, Arizona, Baltimore, Tampa etc with the move from the old stadium to the new one. I bet you'll discover businesses and investors who had no prior interest have jumped on the bandwagon
:goodpost: for the most part.

LtBillsFan66
02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
How about my idea of building a stadium on a big huge barge and float it in the middle of Lake Ontario?

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
How about my idea of building a stadium on a big huge barge and float it in the middle of Lake Ontario?
There you go, we need more people thinking outside the box. How about the first football team on the moon? The Lunar Buffalonians?

patmoran2006
02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I dont think a new stadium will matter, and if anything it would stay in OP park anyway I bet.

I agree about the parking downtown, it's really bad (I work downtown)

LtBillsFan66
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
There you go, we need more people thinking outside the box. How about the first football team on the moon? The Lunar Buffalonians?

Lets not get crazy here. :crazy:

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Lets not get crazy here. :crazy:
It's better than your Alcatraz idea :mad:

By the way, would your rock formation or island have a system of thrusters to move it from place to place within the lake?

ParanoidAndroid
02-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Pack a couple of vans full of explosives and blow up those god awful grain silo's and BAM! You got a place for parking lots, a canal walk, restaurants and shops....historical landmark my @$$.

Mitchy moo
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
How about the first football team on the moon? The Lunar Buffalonians?

Parking problems, lol.

DraftBoy
02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Anybody contact this guy or read anything he's proposed yet?

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 01:52 PM
If only there were some empty warehouses in buffalo we could knock down to build a new stadium. :(

and gr8slayer, Trying to compare Lambeau and Soldier field to that of the cookie cutter stadiums that were produced in the 1970's is Rediculous. Ralph Wilson stadium can best be compared to the old foxboro stadium(though the Ralph is larger). A stadium that was deemed unsuitable about 10 years ago. Also most older Older stadiums have received major overhauls in the last couple of years. Not counting our new 5 million dollar scoreboard(yay!) the last overhaul at RWS was in 98 when they tore out 7,000 seats.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
If only there were some empty warehouses in buffalo we could knock down to build a new stadium. :(

and gr8slayer, Trying to compare Lambeau and Soldier field to that of the cookie cutter stadiums that were produced in the 1970's is Rediculous. Ralph Wilson stadium can best be compared to the old foxboro stadium(though the Ralph is larger). A stadium that was deemed unsuitable about 10 years ago. Also most older Older stadiums have received major overhauls in the last couple of years. Not counting our new 5 million dollar scoreboard(yay!) the last overhaul at RWS was in 98 when they tore out 7,000 seats.
Wait, so they actually removed seats in '98?

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
it went from 80,000 when it was built in the early 70s to roughly 73,000 in 98.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:57 PM
it went from 80,000 when it was built in the early 70s to roughly 73,000 in 98.Because they weren't being sold or because something was added?

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
"The stadium originally had a capacity of 80,020, however the capacity was reduced in 1998 as a part of the Bills lease renewal with Erie County, New York. The stadium at that time was refitted with larger seats and more luxury and club seating. The lease agreement also stipulated that Erie County would continue to upgrade the stadium"

Mr. Cynical
02-08-2008, 02:21 PM
** See Detroit.

Buffalo desperately needs new juice and a stadium downtown would help that, just like Detroit.

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Detroit is a great example

pcnorth22
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
downtown is where it should be...

and there certainly is parking downtown...I work there too...

but you wouldn't put the stadium in niagara square (where parking admittedly is scarce)....it would be either on the water by where the Pier was...or over in the Cobblestone area...

downtown is dead on the weekends...

you've got places to park...and you've got way more options to get into and out of the city than you do Orchard Park...

combine it with a convention center...and its a no-brainer

Bill Brasky
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
let's put a new stadium on the sun... that way we can use solar flares instead of fireworks.... also, the "it's too cold out" excuse is no more.

bocephuz
02-08-2008, 03:27 PM

I disagree.. the stadium location is an asset and not an embarrassment. The thing that makes the Ralph Wilson Stadium experience unique is not really the stadium itself but rather the parking lot experience and the tailgating (as an aside I happen to think the Ralph is asthetically appealing .. call me crazy). The fact that the lots are not in an urban area allows security to be much more lenient and the festivities to be much more loose. There's plenty of space to play catch, play loud music, light fires for cooking and warmth ( can't do that in the city) and generally have a good time without being hassled by inner city criminals and shadeballs. I have some friends that have a tradition of playing beer can croquet in the grassy field off of the ECC lot...... Do we want to get rid of unique little things like that by having the stadium in the middle of an urban area? For those who have been..going to a Bills game is very similar to going to a Grateful Dead show... the lot is just as fun as the show itself. Think about it...there are few things more interesting in life than walking around from aisle to aisle in the stadium lots with a beer in your hand and seeing all of the antics and soaking in that Orchard Park parking lot vibe. I love that experience just as much as I love being in the stadium.

As a contrast, I lived in Baltimore for five years and the Raven Stadium experience is a prime example of the party killing effect a downtown stadium has. On one hand the stadium itself is state of the art and there's not a bad seat in the house. It's pretty easy to get to and the traffic isn't that bad. On the other hand, the tailgating situation is 180 degrees from that of Buffalo. You see a few people quietly milling about their cars having a few drinks and cooking but most of the people party at the local bars before the game rather than the parking lot. For those few that choose to tailgate out in the lot there are constant police patrols that keep a general damper on the festivities( inner city Baltimore cops that don't mess around... not Erie County mounted guys who are generally pretty laid back and cool). Bottom line most of the Ravens fans I know either showed up right before gametime or partied at a local bar... taligating is pretty much non existent there. Sure.. having a downtown stadium is great for dowtown Buffalo and the local bars and businesses...but is it good for the fans? I'd much rather pack my own cooler and food and enjoy that in a welcoming outdoor environment than to have to go spend $3 a beer at a bar to be somewhere around the game where people are being festive.

I guess my end point is... if Woodstock was held at a downtown convention center instead of out in the country...Would it have been as much fun?

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I love the Ralph.

Ed
02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I disagree.. the stadium location is an asset and not an embarrassment. The thing that makes the Ralph Wilson Stadium experience unique is not really the stadium itself but rather the parking lot experience and the tailgating (as an aside I happen to think the Ralph is asthetically appealing .. call me crazy). The fact that the lots are not in an urban area allows security to be much more lenient and the festivities to be much more loose. There's plenty of space to play catch, play loud music, light fires for cooking and warmth ( can't do that in the city) and generally have a good time without being hassled by inner city criminals and shadeballs. I have some friends that have a tradition of playing beer can croquet in the grassy field off of the ECC lot...... Do we want to get rid of unique little things like that by having the stadium in the middle of an urban area? For those who have been..going to a Bills game is very similar to going to a Grateful Dead show... the lot is just as fun as the show itself. Think about it...there are few things more interesting in life than walking around from aisle to aisle in the stadium lots with a beer in your hand and seeing all of the antics and soaking in that Orchard Park parking lot vibe. I love that experience just as much as I love being in the stadium.

As a contrast, I lived in Baltimore for five years and the Raven Stadium experience is a prime example of the party killing effect a downtown stadium has. On one hand the stadium itself is state of the art and there's not a bad seat in the house. It's pretty easy to get to and the traffic isn't that bad. On the other hand, the tailgating situation is 180 degrees from that of Buffalo. You see a few people quietly milling about their cars having a few drinks and cooking but most of the people party at the local bars before the game rather than the parking lot. For those few that choose to tailgate out in the lot there are constant police patrols that keep a general damper on the festivities( inner city Baltimore cops that don't mess around... not Erie County mounted guys who are generally pretty laid back and cool). Bottom line most of the Ravens fans I know either showed up right before gametime or partied at a local bar... taligating is pretty much non existent there. Sure.. having a downtown stadium is great for dowtown Buffalo and the local bars and businesses...but is it good for the fans? I'd much rather pack my own cooler and food and enjoy that in a welcoming outdoor environment than to have to go spend $3 a beer at a bar to be somewhere around the game where people are being festive.

I guess my end point is... if Woodstock was held at a downtown convention center instead of out in the country...Would it have been as much fun?
I agree. Tailgating at the Ralph is second to none, but if building a stadium downtown helps keep the Bills in Buffalo then I'd be for it. If the Bills leave Buffalo there's no tailgating, period.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes Ed exactly. :bf1:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Erie County Executive Chris Collins says everything is on the table in discussions to keep the Bills in Western New York and that includes the idea of a new stadium on Buffalo's waterfront.

Collins spokesman Grant Loomis says as part of that discussion there must be some talk about
where to put a new stadium and the county executive favors the idea of a waterfront location in the city.

This follows the Bills' formal announcement earlier this week in Toronto that they will play a mix of regular season and preseason games at the Rogers Center. Bills' owner Ralph Wilson says he will not sell the team while he is alive but he cannot speculate about the future. Bills management officials say the decision to play in Toronto will help expand their market to help the team survive in a small market.

Collins said throughout his campaign last year that keeping the Bills in Western New York would be a high priority for his administration. He is expected to comment on the issue during a noon press conference.

Congressman Brian Higgins is also announcing his plan to ask the NFL to permit community ownership with local fans and other people allowed to purchase stock in the team. This would be a similar arrangement to the current ownership of the Green Bay Packers.

Stay tuned to 2 On Your Side and WGRZ.com for more information.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=55196

oh and it would be a retractable roof stadium like the Cardinals and where the SuperBowl was played. not an open air stadium like Ralph Wilson Stadium.

bocephuz
02-08-2008, 03:52 PM
If sacrificing the lot scene at the Ralph and building a lame downtown stadium is enough to guarantee them staying the "Buffalo" Bills then I agree.. bite the bullet and go through with it.

However, I seriously doubt that it is the current stadium condition or location causing the corporate boxes to be empty.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Because they weren't being sold or because something was added?

The dugout suites those are the suites that go around the bowl of the stadium of the 100 level. My friend worked on the project to re-renovate Ralph Wilson Stadium they ripped out four rows of seats to build the dugout suites.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
The dugout suites those are the suites that go around the bowl of the stadium of the 100 level. My friend worked on the project to re-renovate Ralph Wilson Stadium they ripped out four rows of seats to build the dugout suites.
I guess my question is, before they ripped out all those seats were they selling out?

Nighthawk
02-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Sorry, you guys that continue to focus on tailgating need to think before YOU speak. Are you serious? If it takes a downtown stadium to save this team, your going to bi!ch and cry about not being able to tailgate??? Seriously, you do understand how stupid that sounds...right?

JD
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
NIght Train your post about tailgating is a joke

#1 if it keeps the bills in buffalo i am all for it

#2 if you cannot stand blowing snow in buffalo you're a pussy, go enjoy some tea and crumpets in the suites :limp:

Night Train
02-09-2008, 05:24 AM
You honestly think a NEW STADIUM is going to save the team ?

It's about local economics and the cost of doing business in the NFL. If the infastructure of the area is empty, the next owner won't be able to sell high priced tickets and keep up with an overpriced league.

Who's going to pay for this stadium ? The locals are already being taxed to death.

This area needs JOBS before a pipe dream downtown stadium is possible. We have a control board running a broke Erie County. Maybe Chris Collins can pay for it with his own personal fortune.

Mitchy moo
02-09-2008, 07:38 AM

Huge financial commitments = Team stays.

Nighthawk
02-09-2008, 10:54 AM

It's about local economics and the cost of doing business in the NFL. If the infastructure of the area is empty, the next owner won't be able to sell high priced tickets and keep up with an overpriced league.

Who's going to pay for this stadium ? The locals are already being taxed to death.

This area needs JOBS before a pipe dream downtown stadium is possible. We have a control board running a broke Erie County. Maybe Chris Collins can pay for it with his own personal fortune.

Yes, a stadium would save this team. I would hope that the state would pay for most of the stadium because of the financial committment they made to the new NYJ/NYG stadium that won't even be in NY! Collins seems like he knows what he is doing and he is a businessman first and foremost. For some odd reason I have confidence that this guy is going to do what is right for WNY and the Bills.

Meathead
02-09-2008, 11:20 AM
put it in wheatfield right next to the reservation

- tons of space
- cheap gas and cigs
- ez access for both canucks and regular people
- lots of ugly indian squaws

JD
02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Seperate NYC from NY like DC from Maryland so we stop getting raped with ****ing taxes. We pay out of the ass to keep that place lit up.

G Wolly
02-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Good.

Make them the BUFFALO Bills again.

Not the Orchard Park Bills.

chubluv
02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
If a new stadium is built downtown what do you think it should look like?

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 11:57 PM
If a new stadium is built downtown what do you think it should look like?
I would just hope that it would remain an our door stadium, I hate in-door crap.

Michael82
02-10-2008, 12:53 AM
I would just hope that it would remain an our door stadium, I hate in-door crap.
if it's going to be downtown, it's going to need a retractable roof, so they can use it for concerts, shows, and convention type things. As much as I hate a roof, I think any stadium downtown would require a roof.

kernowboy
02-10-2008, 05:39 AM
www.stadiumguide.com/nfl/vikingsnew.htm (http://www.stadiumguide.com/nfl/vikingsnew.htm)

This was a design proposed for the Vikings stadium by Elberle Beckett. I believe they lost out to another competitor but can you imagine this on the waterfront in Buffalo?

Historian
02-10-2008, 05:54 AM
"We said many years ago it was a mistake to put the stadium outside the city," he said. "If we're going to build a new one, let's do it right this time."

This comment cracks me up.

It's obvious Collins has never been to a game at War Memorial Stadium.

Typ0
02-10-2008, 07:54 AM
www.stadiumguide.com/nfl/vikingsnew.htm (http://www.stadiumguide.com/nfl/vikingsnew.htm)

This was a design proposed for the Vikings stadium by Elberle Beckett. I believe they lost out to another competitor but can you imagine this on the waterfront in Buffalo?

no...it looks too twin cities.

gr8slayer
02-10-2008, 09:20 AM
if it's going to be downtown, it's going to need a retractable roof, so they can use it for concerts, shows, and convention type things. As much as I hate a roof, I think any stadium downtown would require a roof.
That to me just takes away from the football atmosphere, it's a game that's meant to be played outside, in the elements. That's what makes stadiums like Arrowhead and Lambeau so great, they haven't conformed to what is the norm, they've kept it the way it's supposed to be.

JD
02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
That to me just takes away from the football atmosphere, it's a game that's meant to be played outside, in the elements. That's what makes stadiums like Arrowhead and Lambeau so great, they haven't conformed to what is the norm, they've kept it the way it's supposed to be.

Close the roof for concerts etc, open it up for games.. simple :dance:

hydro
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Exactly! :up:

gr8slayer
02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
The hole in the roof just isn't the same.