PDA

View Full Version : Higgins Pushes Community Ownership For Bills

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
According to www.buffalonews.com, Rep. Brian Higgins has asked the NFL to amend its bylaws to allow a form of hybrid community ownership of the Bills. He proposed a combination of traditional majority ownership, coupled with minority community ownership.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 12:21 PM
It won't happen.

Bill Brasky
02-08-2008, 12:21 PM
read this this morning... good luck to him. i don't see the nfl bending the rules for lil' ol' barffalo

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
That's what I'd expect on here. Complete negativity.

ddaryl
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
The NFL is upset because Greenbay got one over onthem.

They don't want community ownership because that would make it harder to pick up and move the team.

however if they do this I'm in for some shares

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
That's a great idea... 50% of the team could be owned by an ownership group (Galisano, Kelly, Thurm... maybe a Jacobs) and 50% could be sold off as shares to the members of the community.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
That's a great idea... 50% of the team could be owned by an ownership group (Galisano, Kelly, Thurm... maybe a Jacobs) and 50% could be sold off as shares to the members of the community.
It would be amazing.

hydro
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
It would be amazing.

Amazing is an understatement.

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Then i would have a legitimate reason to be pissed when the bills lose.

Sorry baby, cant mow the lawn, im keeping an eye on my investment.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I would buy as many shares as I could!

hydro
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM

:hi5: Likewise!

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I think the NFL might consider what has happened in the NHL where teams have been moved from so called 'small markets' particularly north of the border to the detriment of the sport.

I think there has to be a tilt of the cap to tradition - why try again to have a NFL team in LA or Toronto - if the team flops its to the overall detriment to the image of the sport.

A community team led by a stalwart such as Jim Kelly might appeal to the NFL. If Goodall is looking to improve the image of the sport, then what better way to retain teams in the traditional areas of support.

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
It would be amazing.

What's the value of the team... $600 million? That's 5 million shares of stock at $60 a piece on the community side. Not easy, but doable. I'd buy a couple just to say I was part owner of the Bills! Better that than the jersey of someone who isn't going to be on the team in a couple of years (damn you Moulds and Briere!), right?

Bill Brasky
02-08-2008, 12:36 PM

i wouldn't call it negativity... do you really believe the almighty, greed-motivated nfl will really bend the rules for a low revenue team with an inept owner?

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
What's the value of the team... $600 million? That's 5 million shares of stock at $60 a piece on the community side. Not easy, but doable. I'd buy a couple just to say I was part owner of the Bills! Better that than the jersey of someone who isn't going to be on the team in a couple of years (damn you Moulds and Briere!), right?

Moulds was on this team for 10 years. My moulds Jersey got a whole lot more use than my Milloy and Spikes.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I like the fact that a Congressman - it's Congress that oversees the NFL's all important anti-trust exemption - has made an appeal to league. Senator Schumer intervened just a year-plus ago on behalf of Ralph and the CBA.

I think Congress might actually give us some help, if only by threats and strong arming tactics. But I'll take all the help we can get.

And I'll buy a bunch of shares if community ownership ever comes about.

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 12:49 PM
How many Zonebux will a share cost exactly?

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
i wouldn't call it negativity... do you really believe the almighty, greed-motivated nfl will really bend the rules for a low revenue team with an inept owner?
Congress has a very big club - it's control over the NFL's anti-trust exemption.

DraftBoy
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM

You know I completely agree with you here, people ***** and moan about how its not fair and Ralph owes them this and that, and what not and a guy comes up with at least some kind of an alternative plan (feasible or not) and it gets **** on. Do you guys really want this team, or are you just *****ing for the sake of *****ing?

hydro
02-08-2008, 01:11 PM
You know I completely agree with you here, people ***** and moan about how its not fair and Ralph owes them this and that, and what not and a guy comes up with at least some kind of an alternative plan (feasible or not) and it gets **** on. Do you guys really want this team, or are you just *****ing for the sake of *****ing?
I am pretty sure everyone heard that this wasn't allowed anymore and wouldn't be an option for any team. If there is a way to convince the NFL to work with the team and do this, its news to me.

Don't Panic
02-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Moulds was on this team for 10 years. My moulds Jersey got a whole lot more use than my Milloy and Spikes.

Point taken... I only had mine for the last 3 or 4 years. As for Spikes, you're a name switch from having a nice Poz jersey. My buddy did that with his and it came out really nice.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
You would have no return on your investment.

DraftBoy
02-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I am pretty sure everyone heard that this wasn't allowed anymore and wouldn't be an option for any team. If there is a way to convince the NFL to work with the team and do this, its news to me.

Things change, there is a new commissioner and Schumer is a powerful Senator. The NFL has to be very careful about its anti-trust issues, and Im not saying this option is viable. But use this as a spring board to make the NFL start thinking about how to save the Bills and work it into the new CBA so small market teams get a fair shake of things. Its just a stepping stone, not a final thing by any means.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
The NFL's constitution can be changed by vote of the owners, and some strong threats from Congress concerning the league's sweetheart anti-trust exemption just might get the owners to change it.

hydro
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
So i guess you can understand the quick criticism when the media makes it seem like its not even a possibility.

Mitchy moo
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
5 Millions shares @ $100 a piece and ownership picks up the other half. Bills and new downtown stadium paid for in one swoop.

The Gov. has some say in what the NFL does and the NFL will do nothing to P-them off in the long run.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
It may not happen, but I like the way we have a variety of people pushing for the Bills to stay. We have Jim Kelly trying to put together an ownership group, Erie County Exec. Collins pushing a new lease, and talking new stadium, and Higgins and Schumer prodding the league from a Congressionalstandpoint.

This franchise will not leave without a fight.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
It may not happen, but I like the way we have a variety of people pushing for the Bills to stay. We have Jim Kelly trying to put together an ownership group, Erie County Exec. Collins pushing a new lease, and talking new stadium, and Higgins and Schumer prodding the league from a Congressional standpoint.

This franchise will not leave without a fight.

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
That would be an EXCELLENT move for the Bills. They'd never leave Buffalo.

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Love the sound of this :

“It is an important question, but a sensitive question,” Schumer replied. Things are being worked on, behind the scenes, but they’re better left unsaid publicly, he suggested.

and this:
Would Higgins push the antitrust button again?

“We want to use every leverage we have as a community to keep this franchise here well into the future,” he replied. “You raise the issues, and sometimes you influence them to do what they would not have done without the leverage point.”

Higgins also cited the successful efforts two years ago.
“If efforts on behalf of this franchise were made to help reverse or influence league policy, it certainly will be used to help protect the long-term viability of the franchise in Buffalo,” he said. “In the event that efforts are made to move the Bills out of Western New York, I am prepared to go to the wall to work with the community to keep the franchise here for the long term. That is my responsibility.”

Mitchy moo
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Love the sound of this :

“It is an important question, but a sensitive question,” Schumer replied. Things are being worked on, behind the scenes, but they’re better left unsaid publicly, he suggested.

and this:
Would Higgins push the antitrust button again?

“We want to use every leverage we have as a community to keep this franchise here well into the future,” he replied. “You raise the issues, and sometimes you influence them to do what they would not have done without the leverage point.”

Higgins also cited the successful efforts two years ago.
“If efforts on behalf of this franchise were made to help reverse or influence league policy, it certainly will be used to help protect the long-term viability of the franchise in Buffalo,” he said. “In the event that efforts are made to move the Bills out of Western New York, I am prepared to go to the wall to work with the community to keep the franchise here for the long term. That is my responsibility.”

We better keep his butt in office forever, I like his tone.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I just wonder how much of this is him being serious and how much of this is him pushing for votes.

hydro
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I just wonder how much of this is him being serious and how much of this is him pushing for votes.

With all of the negativity towards political leaders around here, I wouldn't be surprised if its for votes and to get on everyones good side.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
With all of the negativity towards political leaders around here, I wouldn't be surprised if its for votes and to get on everyones good side.
It sounds harsh but knowing some politicians it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Devin
02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I dont think it will happen the NFL knows small market teams like the Bills are just a cash cow waiting to happen when they can be sold and/or moved.

That said, Im very encouraged that there is so much activity and people getting involved. Regardless of what happens at least people are trying.

imbondz
02-08-2008, 02:28 PM
the more people bark the better

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2008, 02:51 PM
That said, Im very encouraged that there is so much activity and people getting involved. Regardless of what happens at least people are trying.
I agree. Cleveland never put up a fight quite like this one.

If the Bills go IPO, I've got $5K earmarked for them. I have to diversify my portfolio anyway.

Devin
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I agree. Cleveland never put up a fight quite like this one.

If the Bills go IPO, I've got $5K earmarked for them. I have to diversify my portfolio anyway.

Same. While I dont think the NFL will ever even touch it, if it were ever to happen id buy 5-10g's worth easy.

hydro
02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
You would have no return on your investment.

How do you figure? I am pretty sure this team is turning a profit every year, not Cowboys/Redskins kind of dough but good enough.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Same. While I dont think the NFL will ever even touch it, if it were ever to happen id buy 5-10g's worth easy.
I'd buy at least $10,000 worth. Even if the stock turns out to be a bad investment, it can just join every other worthless stock in my portfolio.

Ed
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Would people outside of Buffalo be allowed to own shares in the team? Random people all over the country purchasing small pieces of the Bills doesn't exactly sound like community ownership.

I don't know how it all works though.

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2008, 03:08 PM
How do you figure? I am pretty sure this team is turning a profit every year, not Cowboys/Redskins kind of dough but good enough.
It probably won't be going up like Google, but it'll be steady growth like a bond.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Would people outside of Buffalo be allowed to own shares in the team? Random people all over the country purchasing small pieces of the Bills doesn't exactly sound like community ownership.

Good question. I hadn't thought of that.

Ed
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Good question. I hadn't thought of that.
Yeah, I ask because I'd be totally down for investing in the team too, but why would they sell to me? For all they know I'm just some douchebag dolphin fan.

ddaryl
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I would say in this scenario locals would get 1st buy options, and I doubt there would be anything left over afterwards.

But I would definitely invest if it helped keep the team in Buffalo

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Here's how Green Bay did it, per Wikipedia:

Another stock sale occurred late in 1997 and early in 1998. It added 105,989 new shareholders and raised over $24 million, money used for the Lambeau Field redevelopment project. Priced at $200 per share, fans bought 120,010 shares during the 17-week sale, which ended March 16, 1998. As of June 8, 2005, 112,015 people (representing 4,750,934 shares) can lay claim to a franchise ownership interest. Shares of stock include voting rights, but the redemption price is minimal, no dividends are ever paid, the stock cannot appreciate in value - though private sales often exceed the face value of the stock, and stock ownership brings no season ticket privileges. No shareholder may own over 200,000 shares, a safeguard to ensure that no individual can assume control of the club. To run the corporation, a board of directors is elected by the stockholders. The board of directors in turn elect a seven-member Executive Committee (officers) of the corporation, consisting of a president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and three members-at-large. The president is the only officer to draw compensation; the rest of the committee is sitting "gratis."

The team's elected president represents the Packers in NFL owners meetings unless someone else is designated. During his time as coach, Vince Lombardi generally represented the team at league meetings in his role as general manager, except at owners-only meetings.

Green Bay is the only team with this form of ownership structure in the NFL; such ownership is technically in direct violation of league rules, which stipulate a limit of 32 owners of one team and one of those owners having a minimum 30% stake. However, the Packers corporation was grandfathered when the NFL's current ownership policy was established, and are thus exempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers#Public_company

Doesn't sound like it's limited to local residents for buying shares. But the stock is not publicly traded and does not appreciate in value.

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I ask because I'd be totally down for investing in the team too, but why would they sell to me? For all they know I'm just some douchebag dolphin fan.
Why should they care if you're a Dolphins fan? Your money is as good as anyone else's. In fact if you have shares in the Bills, you might become a fan.

Since no one person is allowed to have over 200,000 shares in Green Bay's case, the douchebag Dolphin fan will not have the majority shares to vote to move the team anyway.

DraftBoy
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
In order to buy stock you have to give blood and if your blood comes out red, white, and blue only then can you buy the stock.

X-Era
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

I would commit to buying one million shares.

If each share was worth one peso.

X-Era
02-08-2008, 04:25 PM
In order to buy stock you have to give blood and if your blood comes out red, white, and blue only then can you buy the stock.

You racist... :D

Nighthawk
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
It won't happen.

Not so fast. We have a number of powerful congressman from this area and the thing that the NFL never wants to lose is their Anti-trust agreement. Well, we have powerful enough congressman who can hold that over the NFL's head. I won't say that it will happen, but I'm also not going to say that it definitly won't.

JD
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Myself and almost all my family members would be interested in buying shares if this went through. Let it happen!

Nighthawk
02-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Myself and almost all my family members would be interested in buying shares if this went through. Let it happen!

I agree. I would love it if this could happen.

YardRat
02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
It would be sweet if it went through, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At least there's people with a little bit of influence stirring the pot. I hope they mix it up to the point where Jones and Kraft are dribbling a little bit of piss in their panties.