PDA

View Full Version : If we go after a Franchised FA who should it be?

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
As FA approaches it does appear that several top players might receive the Franchise tag. Assuming the player is not happy with that and we could sign them by giving up our No11 selection who would you go for?

Dallas Clark TE
Jared Allen DE
Albert Haynesworth DT
LJ Smith TE
Derek Anderson QB
Nnamdi Asomugha CB
Marcus Trufant CB

Personally I'd give consideration to Jared Allen. The man wrestles steers as recreation !!! Despite his DUIs he is a monster at end and we can easily get a DT, TE, and CB in Rounds 2-3. A WR might have to come in FA though. DJ Hackett if he can stay fit anyone?

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Outside of Haynesworth(isnt gonna happen) no player on that list is worth our first round pick.

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Jared Allen

Only aged 25, 6ft6 and 270lbs, 15.5 sacks on a poor Chiefs team. Since he was drafted his lowest sack total has been 8 and he averages 11 sacks a season

That isn't R1 form?

bigbub2352
02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Karlos Dansby

venis2k1
02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Jared Allen

Only aged 25, 6ft6 and 270lbs, 15.5 sacks on a poor Chiefs team. Since he was drafted his lowest sack total has been 8 and he averages 11 sacks a season

That isn't R1 form?

Ok. Allen is worth our first, having said that, aint gonna happen. We gave out a TON of money to our DEs last year. What do you think its gonna cost to sign an allpro DE at age 25?

patmoran2006
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
We aint going after one.

RedEyE
02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I thought LJ Smith has been tagged.

kernowboy
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Ok. Allen is worth our first, having said that, aint gonna happen. We gave out a TON of money to our DEs last year. What do you think its gonna cost to sign an allpro DE at age 25?

Not suggesting it will happen or should ought. Would require a major salary dump and this why I'm against drafting a DE at No11.

Irritating that we could have had him in 2004 but we ended up with Tim Euhus

Mind you that might go down as the worst in our history. Trading up for JP meant we gave up the R2 pick which could have been Randy Starks, and meant we drafted Tim Anderson in R3 instead of Matt Schwab.

A draft of Evans, Starks, Schwab and Allen would have done wonders instead of Evans, JP, Anderson and Euhus ... not even thinking that R1'05 could have been Merriman, Ware or Jamaal Brown.

The more I think of it the more I hate the regime of Tom Donahoe ... especially as it started off so well with Clements, Schobel and Henry

clumping platelets
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Dallas Clark

Devin
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Allen or haynesworth, but im not real sure why this matters its long been established we are building via the draft. We arent touching a tagged guy.

gr8slayer
02-08-2008, 02:41 PM
There's no way we go after Allen, we have WAY too much money already invested in Kelsay and Schobel.

ParanoidAndroid
02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
No one.

patmoran2006
02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd rather trade for a star player who's also a need for us; like Chad Johnson or Shaun ROgers.

I'd give up the 11th pick in a mili-second for Chad Johnson. Put him on the opposite side of Evans with an improved Edwards and Lynch back there, good luck dealing with that.

TigerJ
02-08-2008, 09:11 PM
We shouldn't. I don't care how good they are. League rules make it way too expensive.

YardRat
02-09-2008, 01:57 AM
None of those guys are a big enough difference maker to give up a first rounder and a top salary, position-wise, combined. I'll take my chances with the pick.

yordad
02-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Haynesworth, or no one. But it ain't gonna happen.

gr8slayer
02-09-2008, 08:19 AM
None of those guys are a big enough difference maker to give up a first rounder and a top salary, position-wise, combined. I'll take my chances with the pick.
Agreed, Haynesworth is the only one who might be that guy but I'd rather just draft.

Wys Guy
02-09-2008, 09:04 AM
As FA approaches it does appear that several top players might receive the Franchise tag. Assuming the player is not happy with that and we could sign them by giving up our No11 selection who would you go for?

Dallas Clark TE
Jared Allen DE
Albert Haynesworth DT
LJ Smith TE
Derek Anderson QB
Nnamdi Asomugha CB
Marcus Trufant CB

Personally I'd give consideration to Jared Allen. The man wrestles steers as recreation !!! Despite his DUIs he is a monster at end and we can easily get a DT, TE, and CB in Rounds 2-3. A WR might have to come in FA though. DJ Hackett if he can stay fit anyone?

That's not how we do business in Buffalo kernowboy.

No, think differently. Think an echelon or two lower, yet, at the same bucks that those guys draw, and then be prepared for the onslaught of "we see something that no one else in the universe sees" stuff trying to convince the average fan, and succeeding right here, that the player in question is all of a sudden going to bring something different, much better, than what he's already brought for four of five season.

Then you're headed down the right path! But hey, things could be different this offseason with all of the problem children having been promoted and with Brandon not having any experience here.

Doncha know!