Free Agency 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agency 2008

Walter Football have a reasonably decent list of FA who will be available. If we were to sign 5 free agents who would they be and how would this affect what we did in the draft.

My personal take would be

1. Jeff Faine, C. Instant upgrade over Fowler, only 27, and superior to any center prospects in the draft

2. Dan Kreider, FB. At 31, there is still some life and he would smash holes for Mashawn, bring his average per carry next season to well over 4.0yds

3. Teddy Lehman, LB. A LB, who can play all 3 roles. Depending who fits in best where, he'd be a decent upgrade over Ellison. If it doesn't go to plan we can go after Sean Lee of Penn St in 2009, who looks to be a better player than either Rivers or Connor. Lehman is also a better potential starter than Haggan or Stamer.

4. DJ Hackett, WR. Ok, I know if we also draft a WR then there will be concerns about Evans long term future, but if we are going to carry Reed, Parrish, and Evans, then that still leaves two vacancies as I don't think Price will stay, and Aiken has not ever gotten on the field. Even if we draft a WR, that still leaves us with 5 WRs and the Pats last year carried some big names in Moss, Washington, Stallworth, Welker, Gabney, and have Jackson coming back

5. Cleo Lemon QB. I know a Fin, but considering how shocking the Fins were, his personal performance was noteworthy. He'd be a decent mentor to Edwards, who if he doesn't work out can hold the fort until the next QB of the future appears

I looked at the lines, but everyone was likely to be seriously overpriced at an already overpaid position. Here we need to look at the draft. Also the secondary didn't do too badly, and at TE, with two 3rd picks, there is enough talent here to bag a decent player.

Come the draft then, LB has been settled for another year, we have a WR so its no longer a number one priority.

One draft day, I'd drop down and go DT with Picks 1 and 2. McCargo, Williams, Triplett and Jefferson scare no-one. Starks might have been interesting but his play has badly fallen off and character issues have risen.

R1. Pat Sims DT - character issues are he had a hissy when he wasn't a starter, walked off but then asked to be readmitted and has been a model player ever since.
    R2. Dre Moore DT - needs to add consistency but could easily be the same player as Randy Stark
    R2. Adarius Bowman WR - big, gets into traffic, a great complimentary weapon to Evans
    R3. TE - take your pick - personally I would go for John Carlson who might not be a star but will give us a multi purpose solid TE for the next few years
    R3. Justin King CB - adds more depth, was found innocent of charges against him. A junior but already finished his degree suggesting intelligence.
    R4. Jonathan Hefney DB - highly rated yet small which might see him fall. He could become a Eugene Wilson or Jeff Burris for us
    R5. Jonathan Sullivan C - allowing the Duke Preston experiment to end and a decent back up to Faine
    R5. Kirk Barton G - Ohio St leader who can push Butler and Walker
    R6. Titus Brown DE/OLB - has fallen because he has weighed too light but a decent pass rush threat to sit behind Schobel and he could become a Mark Anderson for us
    R7 a QB to push Hamdan as the 3rd stringer - Alex Brink?
    R7 a FB to pack up and eventually replace Kreidar - Jed Collins?

All opinions welcome
    Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2008, 06:41 AM.
  • VeggieMan14
    • Jan 2008

Re: Free Agency 2008

Cleo Lemon?????
    I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I love DJ Hackett, and Cleo Lemon would actually be a good vet backup here for Edwards.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I like Haynesworth but not enough to give up the 11th pick for him AND pay him franchise money.

He has more to prove to me, odd he only had a dominant season in his contract year. The pick AND that crazy money is too much to give up for him.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

DT in rounds 1 & 2 is a knee jerk over reaction. The right DT (300 or more) in rounds 1-4, coupled with the right DE in rounds 1-4 is all that's needed.

I'm looking for 1 of... Sedrick Ellis (will not be there), Pat Sims, Red Bryant, Dre Moore, Frank Okam, or Ahtyba Rubin at DT.

I'll take 1 of... Calais Campbell or Phillip Merling at DE day 1 followed by 1 of Jhonny Dingle, Chris Ellis, Kendall Langford, or Chris Harrington on day 2.

Comment

• Confused
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jun 2007

Really like Jeff Faine, dont know alot about him, but Ive seen enough of Smelvin to agree with kernoboy here. Cleo Lemon isnt bad. Dan Krieder.... bout the only thing that appeals to me with him is that he is a vet. I'm an Owen Schmitt proponent. Schmitt can be used in the passing game too.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

QB Chris Weinke, why? well Schonert has a history with him having coached him in Carolina and he's a veteran backup who won't break the bank and isn't a real threat to beat out TE for playing time and a good one or two year option.

WR My first choice is Jerry Porter assuming he voids his contract to be a FA. As he has experience in the WCO and think is the best option as a #2/#1 WR next to Lee Evans. Others worth pursuing in order of preference are Bryant Johnson, Justin Gage, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford.

NT Ellis Wyms. While I also like Ian Scott I went with the Wyms as both offer experience in the Tampa 2 NT Wyms was able to play last year while Scott wasn't. Although Scott is two years younger and does offer better size, Wyms might be the safer pick. Russell Davis could also be a factor but think we go with the younger Wyms.

DE Al Wallace, was brought in to replace Hargrove last year and while we didn't get a chance to see him he may get another chance to replace Hargove who's been been suspended for the year and likely never to be seen again.

OLB Landon Johnson. I can't see the Bills spending big time money on a guy like Briggs or Dansby, Johnson has been a reliable WLB for the Bengals and should be an upgrade over Ellison.

CB Travis Fisher. Has played for Ferrell in the past and last year showed he could play an entire season and returned to his rookie form. At worst could be an upgrade over Kiwaukee Thomas, at best could compete with Greer for the starting CB spot opposite McGee.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Justin Gage, WR, Tennessee.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ultra Chimp 1
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                  Justin Gage, WR, Tennessee.
                  LOL...Gage is awful.

Comment

• Ultra Chimp 1
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    I love DJ Hackett, and Cleo Lemon would actually be a good vet backup here for Edwards.
                    Hackett is awesome. Though Ralph will never pay the asking price. Plus, the Seahwaks will not let their best reciever walk.

Comment

• venis2k1
                      Youboty can hope
                      • Jul 2002

The problem with Jeff Faine....is money. How much will a 27 year old Pro Bowl center cost us? Keeping in mind we gave out roughly 80 million to our o-line last offseason, and we have our own 25 year old probowler at LT(The big money position) that im hoping we can land long term. Im assuming Faine will land something along the lines of Langston Walker prolly a little more, 5 years 30 mil. Signing Jeff Faine will all but gaurentee Jason Peters wont be playing a majority of his career in Buffalo.

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by venis2k1
                        The problem with Jeff Faine....is money. How much will a 27 year old Pro Bowl center cost us? Keeping in mind we gave out roughly 80 million to our o-line last offseason, and we have our own 25 year old probowler at LT(The big money position) that im hoping we can land long term. Im assuming Faine will land something along the lines of Langston Walker prolly a little more, 5 years 30 mil. Signing Jeff Faine will all but gaurentee Jason Peters wont be playing a majority of his career in Buffalo.
                        Tackles cost more than centers. Peters is signed for quite some time already. I really don't know you go from signing a center to losing a left tackle. Kind of a stretch.

To the original poster, I have different opinions on what we should do. But, if you want a late round FB, Jehuu Caulcrick could be a shocker at the next level. And, he went to high school less then two hours from The Ralph. And, I think he even played high school state playoff games there.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Ultra Chimp 1
                          LOL...Gage is awful.
                          Watch and see who the Bills pick up via FA.

It won't be Hackett.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ultra Chimp 1
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                            Watch and see who the Bills pick up via FA.

It won't be Hackett.
                            Obviously, it won't be Hackett. Why would the Bills actually get a good free agent?

I have no doubt the Bills will pick up a loser like Gage. Because thats what the Bills always do - sign broke ass, cheap freakin' players like Gage.

I don't understand why anyone, even you, would want Justin Gage.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Ultra Chimp 1
                              Obviously, it won't be Hackett. Why would the Bills actually get a good free agent?

I have no doubt the Bills will pick up a loser like Gage. Because thats what the Bills always do - sign broke ass, cheap freakin' players like Gage.

I don't understand why anyone, even you, would want Justin Gage.
                              Perhaps because he has the size we lack at the WR position and put up some pretty good numbers last season in Tennessee with none other then Vince Young as his QB. I'm not saying Gage is a great player but he might be an improvement over guys like Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish and with his size he'd be a better red zone target then Lee Evans.

Comment

Working...
                              X