• Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Golisano still interested in buying Bills

off AP wire, no link yet ...

Golisano still interested in buying Bills to keep them in Buffalo
    By JOHN WAWROW
    AP Sports Writer
    BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Amid fears the Buffalo Bills could relocate to Toronto, billionaire Tom Golisano has had numerous discussions about purchasing the franchise and keeping it in the community.
    "I've talked to all kinds of people, and I'm not going to say anything beyond that," the Buffalo Sabres owner said Saturday in reiterating his interest in the Bills should the team ever be put up for sale.
    Besides Golisano, Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has said he has an undisclosed backer, who's ready to buy the franchise and keep it in Buffalo.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Golisano still interested in buying Bills

Maybe he's one of the guys in Kelly's corner...I'd be surprised if the two haven't talked.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Will Larry Quinn insist on being GM ?
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Link to full story:

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

The team is staying, they just need to get in a location that makes sense and that draw the most folks in that can afford box seats. It's those premium seats that make the most profit for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by YardRat
            Maybe he's one of the guys in Kelly's corner...I'd be surprised if the two haven't talked.
            I'm sure he is, there aren't many billionaires in WNY.

Originally posted by Philagape
            Golisano still interested in buying Bills to keep them in Buffalo
            The question really is will the other owners allow a sale of the team to someone wanting to keep it in WNY. At last check more owners than not weren't big on Wilson and the team being in Buffalo. Wilson and Davis are the last of the influential old school owners, the new school owners led by Jones, Snyder, Kraft, etc. are all about the Benjamins. That doesn't bode well for the Bills remaining in Buffalo given that the owners need to approve a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Skooby
              The team is staying, they just need to get in a location that makes sense and that draw the most folks in that can afford box seats. It's those premium seats that make the most profit for the team.
              For those that can't get past the notion that ticket sales have less to do with it than TV market does, you will be disappointed.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

This is nothing but good news, and i am sure he is part of Kelly's purchase team
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                  This is nothing but good news, and i am sure he is part of Kelly's purchase team
                  Well, it's not bad news, but it's not wise to overlook reality and hope for something that isn't going to happen.

Good news, bad news, your opinion, my opinion, etc. is all meaningless. There are facts, data, reasons, etc. why things happen, and what Kelly or Golisano wants are just as immaterial as what you or I want.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                    I'm sure he is, there aren't many billionaires in WNY.

The question really is will the other owners allow a sale of the team to someone wanting to keep it in WNY. At last check more owners than not weren't big on Wilson and the team being in Buffalo. Wilson and Davis are the last of the influential old school owners, the new school owners led by Jones, Snyder, Kraft, etc. are all about the Benjamins. That doesn't bode well for the Bills remaining in Buffalo given that the owners need to approve a sale.
                    That's what I'm afraid of more than anything. The Buffalo Bills don't make the rest of the league as much money as 31 other teams do, I'm sure the rest of the owners are well aware of that fact and would push for the team to go elsewhere.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Well, it's not bad news, but it's not wise to overlook reality and hope for something that isn't going to happen.
                      If Golisano is truly interested in buying the Bills, I'll say that this WILL happen. He's got the money, has done good things with the Sabres, and has a guy like Chuck Schumer on his side, who will rake the NFL over the coals and threaten to revoke their anti-trust exemption if they sell it to someone who wants to move the team.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Jan 2004

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Good news, bad news, your opinion, my opinion, etc. is all meaningless. There are facts, data, reasons, etc. why things happen, and what Kelly or Golisano wants are just as immaterial as what you or I want.
                            Untrue. Golisano is worth at least $1.5 billion, so his "wants" are a lot more attainable than ours.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                              Well, that could at least help the Sabres.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X