The depth chart for the 2008 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

The depth chart for the 2008 season

Post yours, this is after FA and draft.

QB- TE
    RB- Lynch, Jackson
    FB- Schmitt
    WR- Kelly, Price, Reed
    WR- Evans, Parrish, Jackson
    TE- Finley
    LT- Peters
    LG- Dockery
    C- Spieker
    RG- Butler
    RT- Walker
    LE- Harrington
    RE- Schoebel
    DT- McCargo, Moore, Williams
    LB- Adibi
    LB- Poz
    LB- Crowell
    CB- Kelly, McGee, Greer, Minor, Thomas, Youboty(whatever)
    S- Ko
    S- Whitner
    KR- Jackson, McGee
    PR- Parrish, Jackson

Yours?
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: The depth chart for the 2008 season

With as much money as we gave Kelsay last season there's no way he's not starting.

Comment

I don't imagine this will happen but would be happy if it did

Free Agents*, Draft picks

QB Edwards, Cleo Lemon*
      RB Lynch, Jackson, Wright
      FB Dan Kreidar*, Jed Collins
      WR Evans, Parrish
      LT Peters
      LG Dockery, Merz
      C Jeff Faine*, John Sullivan
      RG Butler, Kirk Barton
      RT Walker
      TE Royal, John Carlson, Gaines
      WR DJ Hackett*, Reed, Adarius Bowman
      K Liandell

DE Schobel, Titus Brown
      NT McCargo, Williams
      RT Pat Sims, Dre Moore
      LE Kelsay, Denney
      SLB Teddy Lehman*, Ezra Butler
      MLB Posluzny, DiGiorgio
      WLB Crowell, Ellison
      RCB Greer, Thomas, Justin King
      LCB McGee, Youboty
      FS Simpson, Wilson
      SS Whitner, Wendling
      P Moorman

One Rookie starter, but better depth and FA talent

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

1-9-8 this was my guess...

OK, I don't know why I had to add dashes, and spaces wouldn't work, but.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Moorman
        -----------------------------------------------A-Train--------------------------------- Lindell
        ------------------------------------------------Wright
        ------------------------------------------------Jackson
        ------------------------------------------------Lynch
        -------------------------------------------------------Gaines
        -------------------------------------------------------Schouman/Rookie (true FB)
        ------------------------------------------------Hamdan
        ------------------------------------------------Vet or JP
        ------------------------------------------------Edwards---------------------------------Aiken
        Reed ------------Royal----- Rookie----- Merz --------------Preston -----Chambers ----------Parrish Rookie -----------Rookie ----Walker ----Butler ----Fowler ---Dockery -----Peters--------- Evans
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        McGee --------------Kelsey---------- McCargo -----------FreeAgent ------Schobel -------Rookie
        Thomas------------- Denney--------- Tripplet ------------Williams --------Hargrove ------Greer
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------Neill ----------Youboty
        -----------------------Crowell ----------------------Poz ------------------Digi
        -----------------------Wire---------------------------------------------- Ellison
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------Haggan
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------Rookie

---------------------------------Simpson ----------------------------Whitner
        ----------------------------------Wilson -----------------------------Wendling

I think the WLB training camp competition will be close. I would like to think it would be upgraded significantly, but I think we have too many holes to make it a top priority. I know many will argue with this, but I think Poz will make this LB crew all a lot better. This moves Digi to the weakside, and primary MLB backup should Poz go down again. I really hope a rookie can push those guys. And, maybe I should have Haggan over Ellison, because I believe Haggan is better in early downs, and short yardage. But, if we do sign a second starting FA, expect it to be OLB which would make Haggan the odd man out.

And, if you notice, I feel we need a DT in free agency. Haynesworth would be awesome, but impossible. I want Corey Williams. If we get him, I don't care what else we do. And, how did the coaching staff not notice McCargo was better than Tripplet? McCargo had more sacks and more solo tackles as the backup.

I have CB, WR, TE as our top draft picks, so I have them as projected starters. Also, I am hoping for an H-back upgrade, or scrap of the ill conceived position. I'm hoping Owen Schmitt is available in the third. And, I have Wilson beating out Leonhard. I will add that I think a late round rookie could easily take Prestons or Chambers job. And, I would like a new center, but cannot find one.

I know, modest changes. And, some of the players that some of you guys call "useless" are still there. But, fact is, you have to upgrade before you can cut. And, I think we make the playoffs next year with this roster, assuming we get an adequate OC.

So basically I am predicting Jefferson, Leonhard, Shaud, Neufeld, and Stammer will be gone.

I am also predicting Hargrove will re-sign. Haggan, Wilson, A-train, Wendling, Merz, Preston, Chambers and Youboty will be returning, and all will have been on the bubble. I am least confident about the lineman. Most other drafted players will sign to the practice squad.

Maybe I should have left a spot open for the token undrafted free agent.
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Isn't Hargrove banned for the season?

I think the issue with Stamer, Haggan, Wire and Aiken is they are good special teamers but lack the ability to start or even be decent backups.

Triplett has reached the stage of his contract where it may be cuttable. Would we really go after another FA DT?

Coming into the draft we currently have 10 draft pics. I want to see at least 80% of those on the opening day roster so guys will have to be cut or not resigned for this to happen I believe

With Lynch, Wright and now the advent of Jackson, A-Train could well be expendable.

I agree about more depth at LT as I am not comfortable with Chambers. However Merz is supposed to have decent feet and might be a better backup option covering both G and T. Diehl did a decent job for the Giants

I'd also wait to trade JP until after the draft to see if we might get better value for a 2009 draft selection - I'd settle for a R3

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla *****
            • Jul 2002

Hargrove is indeed suspended for the season.

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by shelby
              Hargrove is indeed suspended for the season.
              And likely done as a Bill.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Free Agents*, Draft picks

QB Edwards, Chris Weinke* Sam Keller
                RB Lynch, Jackson, Wright
                FB Darian Barnes, Ryan Putnam*
                WR Evans, Parrish
                LT Peters, Chambers
                LG Dockery, Chris McDuffie
                C Fowler, Adam Spieker
                RG Butler, Jason Whittle
                RT Walker
                TE Royal, Gaines, Jermichael Finley
                WR Justin Gage*, Reed, Adarius Bowman
                K Lindell

DE Schobel, Kenny Iwebema
                NT Ellis Wyms*,Williams
                DT Triplett, McCargo
                LE Kelsay, Denney
                SLB Landon Johnson*, Haggan
                MLB Posluzny, DiGiorgio
                WLB Crowell, Ellison
                RCB Mike Jenkins, Greer,
                LCB McGee, Thomas, Youboty
                FS Simpson, Wilson
                SS Whitner, Wendling
                P Moorman

Comment

• Jayhawk
                  • Aug 2004

lord no, please no keller and Weinke behind TE
                  http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Jayhawk
                    lord no, please no keller and Weinke behind TE
                    Look at the crop of free agent QBs and it isn't pretty. So I went with a veteran that has worked under Schonert (in Carolina) and isn't going to break the bank to sign and can fill in a game or two if TE gets hurt again. In terms of Keller, he has decent size and played with Callahan in Nebraska so could have some understanding if the WCO type offense I predict we could see this year. Not to mention is likely a career backup that we can hope to get with a low round draft pick.

Comment

• Jayhawk
                      • Aug 2004

we should just get Craig Nall back and wait a year for Drew Willy
                      http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by kernowboy
                        Isn't Hargrove banned for the season?

I think the issue with Stamer, Haggan, Wire and Aiken is they are good special teamers but lack the ability to start or even be decent backups.

Triplett has reached the stage of his contract where it may be cuttable. Would we really go after another FA DT?

Coming into the draft we currently have 10 draft pics. I want to see at least 80% of those on the opening day roster so guys will have to be cut or not resigned for this to happen I believe

With Lynch, Wright and now the advent of Jackson, A-Train could well be expendable.

I agree about more depth at LT as I am not comfortable with Chambers. However Merz is supposed to have decent feet and might be a better backup option covering both G and T. Diehl did a decent job for the Giants

I'd also wait to trade JP until after the draft to see if we might get better value for a 2009 draft selection - I'd settle for a R3
                        Yeah, the first thing I said was "1-9-8 this was my guess". He was suspended over the last month. It was late, and I guess I was in the mood for editing.

You want 8 rookies to make the team? Who doesn't. Heck, if they make the team, that means they are bether then who we have. So, it can only be a plus. But, I only envisioned 6 making the cut. We do have alot of people coming to camp, and solid depth emmerged at several questionable spots last year. I think the Bills will be solid. Too solid for 80% of the rookies to make it. But, again, it could only be good, and who knows.

As far as Stamer, Haggan, Wire and Aiken, you stilll need to upgrade before you replace. And, they kind of have a niche in special teams and in situations.

And, could we really go after another FA DT because Larry sucks and in danger of being cut? Um... yeah. In fact, I think it is the top FA need. I think you get value signing a top DT, and drafting a starting WR. Why spend the money on Hackett and then draft Bowman high? And, why draft two DT's high?

Also, I couldn't help but notice you have us with four player projected in the second. Pat Sims, Dre Moore, Bowman, and Carlson. Who are we getting in the first, and which two do you have slipping til the third?

Also, are you advocating we go into the year with three RBs?
                        Last edited by yordad; 02-10-2008, 04:01 PM.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by yordad
                          Yeah, the first thing I said was "1-9-8 this was my guess". He was suspended over the last month. It was late, and I guess I was in the mood for editing.

You want 8 rookies to make the team? Who doesn't. Heck, if they make the team, that means they are bether then who we have. So, it can only be a plus. But, I only envisioned 6 making the cut. We do have alot of people coming to camp, and solid depth emmerged at several questionable spots last year. I think the Bills will be solid. Too solid for 80% of the rookies to make it. But, again, it could only be good, and who knows.

As far as Stamer, Haggan, Wire and Aiken, you stilll need to upgrade before you replace. And, they kind of have a niche in special teams and in situations.

And, could we really go after another FA DT because Larry sucks and in danger of being cut? Um... yeah. In fact, I think it is the top FA need. I think you get value signing a top DT, and drafting a starting WR. Why spend the money on Hackett and then draft Bowman high? And, why draft two DT's high?

Also, I couldn't help but notice you have us with four player projected in the second. Pat Sims, Dre Moore, Bowman, and Carlson. Who are we getting in the first, and which two do you have slipping til the third?

Also, are you advocating we go into the year with three RBs?
                          You spend money on Hackett and draft Bowman high because you build depth through the draft and sign free agents to fill holes. As let's face it Bowman's a quality player that might slip in the draft due to a poor senior bowl but still take him in the 2nd. Yet at the same time I wouldn't expect a rookie WR to big a big impact so sign a guy like Hackett to start and then in a year or two when Evans is due to be an UFA you have someone to step in and start for him and/or if Hackett proves, like he has so far, that he's not able to stay healthy an entire season, you also have someone that could step in for him for a game or two as a rookie.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                            You spend money on Hackett and draft Bowman high because you build depth through the draft and sign free agents to fill holes. As let's face it Bowman's a quality player that might slip in the draft due to a poor senior bowl but still take him in the 2nd. Yet at the same time I wouldn't expect a rookie WR to big a big impact so sign a guy like Hackett to start and then in a year or two when Evans is due to be an UFA you have someone to step in and start for him and/or if Hackett proves, like he has so far, that he's not able to stay healthy an entire season, you also have someone that could step in for him for a game or two as a rookie.
                            I am all for not letting Evans walk. NTM, I think Bowman could start immediately. In fact, I think there is like 6 WRs that could start immediately. Maybe more.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by yordad
                              I am all for not letting Evans walk. NTM, I think Bowman could start immediately. In fact, I think there is like 6 WRs that could start immediately. Maybe more.
                              Yet starting and making a significant impact are two different things. I like Bowman too but if we take him think he could have a Sidney Rice type year. Which was good but isn't going to make a big change in our offense as I see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X