• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Sabres Owner reiterates interest in purchasing Bills

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Amid fears the Buffalo Bills could relocate to Toronto, billionaire Tom Golisano has had numerous discussions about purchasing the franchise and keeping it in the community.

"I've talked to all kinds of people, and I'm not going to say anything beyond that," the Buffalo Sabres owner said Saturday in reiterating his interest in the Bills should the team be put up for sale.

Golisano, who lives in Rochester, declined to say who has approached him or when those discussions occurred.

Golisano was careful to note that Bills owner Ralph Wilson has maintained he has no intention of selling the franchise. The concern is what happens after Wilson dies because the 89-year-old has no plans to keep the team within his family.

"I realize what the issue is. I think I realize how important that organization is to the Buffalo area," Golisano told The Associated Press. "And I'll say the same thing I've said before: If the situation arises, I would do what I can to try to keep the team in the area."
    The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • blackonyx89
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    • Mar 2005

Re: Sabres Owner reiterates interest in purchasing Bills

Good to hear, but wait and see what happens.
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by blackonyx89
      Good to hear, but wait and see what happens.
      5 years or RIP ralph, whichever comes first.

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

I'll believe it when I see it. Is the the kind of owner who's willing to do what it takes to put a winner on the field?

Comment

• Devin
          The Octagon
          • Apr 2003

I dont know lol, if I remember right it was quite the debacle last year with the sabres retaining FA's.
          http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Buffatexas
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
            I'll believe it when I see it. Is the the kind of owner who's willing to do what it takes to put a winner on the field?
            Well I think it goes beyond having an owner that is willing to do what it takes. I would like to think that every owner has that intention, just that some, like our own, puts his faith in the wrong people and sometimes just makes bad decisions and gets involved when he shouldnt and doesnt when he should.

First and foremost, I want this team to stay in Buffalo, the championship can come later. I certainly do not want what happened to the Browns to happen to us. Go to B'more and win a SB.

I want a championship, not a perenial contender. We were that in the 90's. Dan Snyder tries to field that team every year and fails, Marc Cuban tried and failed, Whoever owns Ottawa has tried and failed. Golisano has tried and failed (thus far) Cuban obviously being the most consistent as far as fielding a competitive squad.

My knock on Golisano is the people he put in place to run the team. I know the difference between hockey and football is a mile wide so I really do not want to assume that Tommy would put or not put the right people in place.

I do want an SB win, but I will also be content knowing that there is an owner who is keeping the team in Buffalo first.

Comment

• JD
              Sabres Zone
              • Sep 2003

The earlier he passes on, the better the chances for the Bills to stay in Buffalo. Once we begin playing in Toronto, more Toronto buyers would jump in the mix. I dont wish anyone to die, just saying.
              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                The earlier he passes on, the better the chances for the Bills to stay in Buffalo. Once we begin playing in Toronto, more Toronto buyers would jump in the mix. I dont wish anyone to die, just saying.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

He's restricted by the same economic factors that Ralph is so unless that changes I wouldn't expect different results.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                    He's restricted by the same economic factors that Ralph is so unless that changes I wouldn't expect different results.
                    Then I'm not that interested. There's no point in having a team if you aren't ever going to win or get serious about winning.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Then I'm not that interested. There's no point in having a team if you aren't ever going to win.
                      Hopefully...

1. The attempt to draw Canadian dollars into Orchard Park is successful.

2. NYS and Erie County can actually do something to draw industry and business to the area and bring more jobs, more people, and more disposable income.

3. The owners of the NFL get their collective heads out of their ignorant, greedy asses and correct the mistakes they made with the last CBA while also reverting to a revenue sharing policy that more closely resembles the original model.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• User Manuel
                        The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                        • Nov 2003

It is all good till Larry Quinn is the team president...

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

I dont see it as an attempt to draw canadian money into orchard park, its more like advertising the Bills to potential buyers in an unfamiliar market. Scary stuff
                          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

No.
                            He's a very absentee owner, at least with the Sabres. The Sabres have been run of late very much like the Bills, possibly even worse. They let Drury, Briere and Zubrus walk away for nothing. Campbell's days are numbers, so on and so on.

Part of his problem is hiring (again) Larry Quinn as president.. It's very frustrating trying to be a Sabres fan.

Having said that, Golisano I think is legitimiately committed to keeping the team in BUFFALO. That's better than nothing.

If he ever owned the Bills, he would HAVE to hire a top notch GM, not these clowns like Guy, Brandon and Overdorf.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

I like how the Bills have to save Buffalo.

Comment

Working...
                              X