PDA

View Full Version : Clint Malarchuk

Philagape
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
For those of you who don't remember, and those who do, here's a great article about the Clint Malarchuk skate incident in 1989.

I didn't know this ... in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, he said, "Can you have me back for the third period?" He also insisted that he skate off the ice with no stretcher.

No bloody photos on the page.

http://www.letsgosabres.com/pressbox/fullstory.php?newsid=10240

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Malarchuks was WAY worse. His entire mask was full of blood and it was squirting out so freaking bad. I was watching that game as a kid I almost started crying I was so scared for him.

Philagape
02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I think Malarchuk's looked worse because he stayed in the same spot, so all the blood pooled up there

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
They were both awful, regardless of which one was worse.

Both were terrifying, potentially life-threatening injuries.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I think Malarchuk's looked worse because he stayed in the same spot, so all the blood pooled up there
Possibly but Malarchucks neck was completely sliced. I don't think Zednicks was as bad. It was literally squirting out of his neck all over the place.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
They were both awful, regardless of which one was worse.

Both were terrifying, potentially life-threatening injuries.
Yes agreed. I was very worried for Zednick last night.

JD
02-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Clint stayed in the same spot, for quite a long time considering he was basically bleeding to death. The streak of blood from Zednik was continuous... with pooling along the way to the bench. If he would have stayed in the same spot it would have been just as bad as Clints. Quite disturbing to watch unfold on tv.

I heard the same guy that saved Clints life, saved Zedniks... that man deserves an award seriously.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-11-2008, 10:30 AM
When Malarchuk happened I remember people throwing up in the crowd.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
When Malarchuk happened I remember people throwing up in the crowd.

I did not see or hear of anbody throwing up, but even after play resumed it was quiet.

I could hear the radio play-by-play they run in the hallways and bathrooms from my seat it was so quiet.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I did not see or hear of anbody throwing up, but even after play resumed it was quiet.

I could hear the radio play-by-play they run in the hallways and bathrooms from my seat it was so quiet.

My in-laws were at the game and they are the ones that told me the story of a few people puking.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I meant last night.

BlackMetalNinja
02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I said that to my wife last night too... Even after they resumed, you could tell it was just silent in the building. You were able to hear all sorts of things you'd never usually hear during a broadcast. The PA guy was loud as hell it seemed by comparison to usual.

SabreEleven
02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AnSyq9Ksling2LsAwyoMMEV7vLYF?slug=eastdishforbetterorworse&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Holy ****, Malarchuk was TOUGH.

Sabres goaltender Clint Malarchuk's carotid artery was severed by the skate blade of the Blues' Steve Tuttle. Malarchuk needed about 300 stitched to close the wound. Yet, it has been reported that Malarchuk asked an ambulance paramedic if he could have him back on the ice for the third period.

Sabres equipment manager Rip Simonick was on the bench when Malarchuk skated toward him, pinching his own neck to slow the bleeding.
"Clint saved his life when he pinched his neck," Simonik recalled. "You saw Zednik doing the same thing: Those guys know when they're really hurt. The adrenalin kicks in and they do things they need to do." Malarchuk was out of the hospital the next day, practiced four days later and made it back in the crease about a week after his injury.

Nighthawk
02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Just heard Malarchuk on WGR and he said that today has been really tough on him. Everybody has been calling for interviews and he has yet to strike up enough courage to watch Zednik's injury occur. He said how much he loves Buffalo and although he only played here for a short period of time, that Buffalo was his favorite place that he ever played. He loves the City and can't say enough about the fans. Class act...

RockStar36
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
This kind of stuff really gets to me.

I won't even watch replays of either incident. And I'm not sure what I would have done if I was in the crowd.

Michael82
02-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I said that to my wife last night too... Even after they resumed, you could tell it was just silent in the building. You were able to hear all sorts of things you'd never usually hear during a broadcast. The PA guy was loud as hell it seemed by comparison to usual.
It was the quietest that I have ever heard the arena, even after the play. You could hear the radio play by the play, and individual conversations, plus you could probably even hear stuff down from the ice if you were lower. It was pretty eerie.

JD
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
It was the quietest that I have ever heard the arena, even after the play. You could hear the radio play by the play, and individual conversations, plus you could probably even hear stuff down from the ice if you were lower. It was pretty eery.

No doubt. I was watching on TV and when the PA guy announced he was in stable condition, his voice seemed so ****ing loud to a point my parents asked if I had turned the sound up.

Philagape
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Malarchuk talks about the Zednik injury:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3242226

Dude
02-13-2008, 06:50 AM
My in-laws were at the game and they are the ones that told me the story of a few people puking.I was at that game too, sitting in the lower golds in the Sabres' end with a direct view of what happened. I can confirm that there were people throwing up, and several passed out too.

Zednik's injury, it's been reported, was more serious, but I can tell you I have never seen that much blood as I saw come out of Malarchuk that night, and hopefully never will ever again.