The Major Obstacle to the Bills Staying in Buffalo. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

The Major Obstacle to the Bills Staying in Buffalo. . .

It's not the WNY economy, the woes of the city of Buffalo, the terrible state, city and county politicians, the stadium, or the greedy billionaires in Toronto lusting after our team.

It is Ralph's insistence that the team be sold to the highest bidder upon his passing. I firmly believe that local ownership - in the form of Tom Golisano, a group of investors assembled by Jim Kelly, or another individual or group - will step forth, despite all of the negatives involved in staying here.

Whether that local ownership entity will be able to outbid big money from Toronto, LA, or elsewhere is unlikely, however.

Unless Ralph can be induced to sign a sales agreement with local ownership interests - to be implemented on his passing - at a predetermined price or for an appraised or Forbes-type value of the franchise, we are probably doomed.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: The Major Obstacle to the Bills Staying in Buffalo. . .

Sounds like you people need to start re-thinking who you vote for.

Comment

• User Manuel
      The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
      • Nov 2003

Actually I think the biggest problem is the new owners being able to finance the debt load purchasing a team for 800 million to 1 billion will bring.

Even though Ralph makes a lot of money, he isn't paying much out to cover debt load, the new owners will.

Comment

• Voltron
        • Jul 2002

Sorry but all the people that want to blame Ralph need to read this article on the main page ---->
        Wilson not the one at fault
        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          • May 2003

I've always supported Ralph. He's been willing and able to keep the franchise in Buffalo, despite the economy, the politicians, the high taxes, and everything else wrong with the area.

He continues to stay, despite his harsh words about WNY. Why, then, is he so damned worried about what happens with the economy AFTER HE IS DEAD?

Why can't new local ownership make a go of it just as Ralph has all of these years?

THEY CAN, except Ralph insists on the highest bidder approach, which is certainly his right. I just wish he would be more honest, and stop blaming the fans, the city, the economy and everyone else for what is purely his business decision - to get his heirs the very highest number of millions for his $25,000 investment.

The main reason this franchise will have to move is Ralph's unwillingness to either leave the team to his wife, or sign an agreement with local ownership to be triggered by his death.

I'm not condemning Ralph, but he could practically assure the team's remaining in Buffalo if he would back off of his current stand.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            I've always supported Ralph. He's been willing and able to keep the franchise in Buffalo, despite the economy, the politicians, the high taxes, and everything else wrong with the area.

He continues to stay, despite his harsh words about WNY. Why, then, is he so damned worried about what happens with the economy AFTER HE IS DEAD?

Why can't new local ownership make a go of it just as Ralph has all of these years?

THEY CAN, except Ralph insists on the highest bidder approach, which is certainly his right. I just wish he would be more honest, and stop blaming the fans, the city, the economy and everyone else for what is purely his business decision - to get his heirs the very highest number of millions for his $25,000 investment.

The main reason this franchise will have to move is Ralph's unwillingness to either leave the team to his wife, or sign an agreement with local ownership to be triggered by his death.

I'm not condemning Ralph, but he could practically assure the team's remaining in Buffalo if he would back off of his current stand.
            I agree... What befuddles me is he wants to maximize his heirs wealth by selling to the highest bidder instead of arranging a sale prior to his death to investors who would keep it in Buffalo which in likelihood put the team in great risk of moving after he passes on but on the other hand he could of made a lot more for his heirs if he moved the franchise years ago. Not sure what exactly is going through his mind.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

The price of a NFL franchise goes up every year, so why would Ralph give up literally millions in assured money down the road for his heirs?? Would anyone here give away extra money for their family down the road ??

RW made a investment in the area and he did amazingly well with it. He has stuck through thick and thin and never let this town down. I think that this we have a problem in the area speech was a message to NYS that something special needs to happen or they will lose the only team that actually plays in NY.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
                The price of a NFL franchise goes up every year, so why would Ralph give up literally millions in assured money down the road for his heirs?? Would anyone here give away extra money for their family down the road ??

RW made a investment in the area and he did amazingly well with it. He has stuck through thick and thin and never let this town down. I think that this we have a problem in the area speech was a message to NYS that something special needs to happen or they will lose the only team that actually plays in NY.
                Ralph could easily craft an agreement that would specify that the team be sold for its appraised value at the time of his death. That way, millions would NOT be left on the table. The only thing that would be left would be the premium above and beyond the franchise's value that the highest bidder auction might bring.

I really think Ralph wants to be the hero and martyr of Buffalo NFL football - the one and only owner, and the only person who could operate the franchise under such terrible conditions.I also think he wants the most for his heirs, which almost assures that he'll attain that status.

It's all good for Ralph and his heirs, but it screws us.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Ralph could easily craft an agreement that would specify that the team be sold for its appraised value at the time of his death. That way, millions would NOT be left on the table. The only thing that would be left would be the premium above and beyond the franchise's value that the highest bidder auction might bring.

I really think Ralph wants to be the hero and martyr of Buffalo NFL football - the one and only owner, and the only person who could operate the franchise under such terrible conditions.I also think he wants the most for his heirs, which almost assures that he'll attain that status.

It's all good for Ralph and his heirs, but it screws us.
                  Since none of us plunked down $25,000 all those years ago in a risky investment, we personally stood to gain nothing since. I certainly wouldn't go up to Bob Rich and say, hey buddy you owe me because I bought your dairy products forever. We as fans make choices and owners who have many millions to gain or lose make choices. The State now has a chance to make a choice and whatever they decide along with the groups that Jimbo has or Tom G. has will determine which way the franchise goes.

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                    • Jul 2007

Why would a loyal to Buffalo owner care about receiving the highest bid when he will not be here to spend the money?

Fill me in (lol)
                    Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

Ralph could craft an agreement to sell to local ownership for the appraised value of the team at the time of the sale, which would NOT leave Millions on the table. The only amount Ralph's heirs wouldn't realize is the premium - over and above the franchise's economic value - that a highest bidder auction would bring.

I really think Ralph wants to be the hero and martyr of NFL football in Buffalo - the only man to ever own a team here, and the only one able to operate it under such hideous conditions. With the highest bidder approach, he virtually forces it out of town, and attains his desired status.

It's all good for Ralph and his heirs, but it screws all of us Bills' fans.
                      Is there an echo in here?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
                        Is there an echo in here?
                        You jumped on me too quickly, Skoobs. I'm on vacation and having some small technical problems with my laptop.

I will say this to your last post: Right or wrong, Ralph will put every entity - the state, the politicians, and any local ownership group - in a nearly impossible position if he sticks with his highest bidder approach.

He has every right to do it. I have every right to despise his greedy attitude.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

You jumped on me too quickly, Skoobs. I'm on vacation and having some small technical problems with my laptop.

I will say this to your last post: Right or wrong, Ralph will put every entity - the state, the politicians, and any local ownership group - in a nearly impossible position if he sticks with his highest bidder approach.

He has every right to do it. I have every right to despise his greedy attitude.
                          RW doesn't even live in Buffalo, he flies in a helicopter from his hometown of detroit.

Comment

• Stewie
                            Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by don137
                            I agree... What befuddles me is he wants to maximize his heirs wealth by selling to the highest bidder instead of arranging a sale prior to his death to investors who would keep it in Buffalo which in likelihood put the team in great risk of moving after he passes on but on the other hand he could of made a lot more for his heirs if he moved the franchise years ago. Not sure what exactly is going through his mind.
                            No way could he have made more money years ago. The average value of NFL teams has skyrocketed in the last 10 years. It will only go up more when the next TV contract is signed in 2010 or 2011
                            Originally posted by Topdog
                            Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                            Originally posted by mercyrule
                            I love Weiner.
                            Originally posted by mercyrule
                            also cheese

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

I'm a total capitalist. But if I turn $25,000 into somewhere around $800 million - with major help from Erie County and a tremendously loyal fan base - I think I just might show a little respect and appreciation for those who helped make me an almost billionaire.

Like by selling to local interests for the value of the franchise - the $700 to $800 million - instead of to the highest bidder for a multimillion dollar premium above that value.

Put another way, when is enough, enough?

Comment

Working...
                              X