View Full Version : FA what positions and who fills them ?

Bills10-6in08
02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I would just like to know what other people are thinking out there of who we can get, and what positions are best filled in FA.

Now:

( Please close your eyes and picture this )

It's 2008
This is the Buffalo Bills
Ralph Wilson Still own's the team.

( now pleas eopen your eyes)

Now:

what do you see ?

LtFinFan66
02-12-2008, 11:43 PM
A lot of snow

more cowbell
02-12-2008, 11:44 PM
LB: Lance Briggs (I really see us pushing for him...really)

WR: Ernest Wilford
LB: Teddy Lehman (hopefully for depth)

kernowboy
02-13-2008, 03:49 AM
I'd go

Centre:- Jeff Faine ... the draft is light at this position and while we will then have a lot of money in the OL, giving that to Trent will hasten his development

LB:- Teddy Lehman ... was ok at start of his career, been a little injured but only 26 and former Buktus award winner

I don't want us going after the following positions

DT
CB
TE
WR

Because there is so much depth is the draft at these positions, that we could select one at each position with our first 4 picks and easily find 4 starters. What we need to do is make this like Marv's first draft as GM where we found starters all the way down to R7. We need to find people in the latter rounds who can at the very least come in and do a short term job.

gr8slayer
02-13-2008, 08:20 AM
LB: Lance Briggs (I really see us pushing for him...really)

WR: Ernest Wilford
LB: Teddy Lehman (hopefully for depth)
As I've posted several times the Jags are expected to re-up with Wilford and let Matt Jones walk.

There's no way we can outbid the Redskins for Briggs, well there is but we'd be stupid to do it.

Lehman..... way too injury prone. I'd rather draft someone for depth.

bigbub2352
02-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Honestly i see us goin after either Bryant Johnson or Ernest Wilford at WR
maybe taking a run a t Corey Williams at DT, and i would luv to throw money at Jeff Faine for Center, but i think Fowler will play out his contract here, so really only those 2 postions, DT and WR, maybe a vet at CB too

Mr. Pink
02-13-2008, 11:00 AM
WR - Justin Gage
TE - Eric Johnson
LB - Boss Bailey
CB - Drayton Florence

gr8slayer
02-13-2008, 11:10 AM
WR - Justin Gage
TE - Eric Johnson
LB - Boss Bailey
CB - Drayton Florence
Gage would be nice....

Johnson at this point is no better than Royal or Gaines....

Bailey would be great, he'd fit our system nicely if he could stay healthy.

We'll have to out bid the Cowboys for Florence because they are targeting him.

Mr. Pink
02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Gage would be nice....

Johnson at this point is no better than Royal or Gaines....

Bailey would be great, he'd fit our system nicely if he could stay healthy.

We'll have to out bid the Cowboys for Florence because they are targeting him.

I think Gage and Bailey would help this team immensely and are reasonable targets. Neither should command a great deal of money on the open market which makes them economically feasible to come here.

EJ while on the downside of his career, obivously, has more talent and ability than all our tight ends combined. He won't blaze by anyone but he'd be a good safety valve for a growing young QB. Basically, he's a stopgap one to two year player in my eyes til we can get the next KII, Gates, Shockey, TG type of player. That type of player is not in this year's draft nor is he available in FA. There was a reason last year why I was advocating taking Greg Olsen, athletic, difference maker at the position.

Cowboys have Newman and AHen...Florence would be a 3 there, he'd be a 2 here. I don't think they'd outbid us for a guy they're thinking nickleback about. Unless AHen is being moved to FS...seeing I know there was some talk about it.

gr8slayer
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
I think Gage and Bailey would help this team immensely and are reasonable targets. Neither should command a great deal of money on the open market which makes them economically feasible to come here.

EJ while on the downside of his career, obivously, has more talent and ability than all our tight ends combined. He won't blaze by anyone but he'd be a good safety valve for a growing young QB. Basically, he's a stopgap one to two year player in my eyes til we can get the next KII, Gates, Shockey, TG type of player. That type of player is not in this year's draft nor is he available in FA. There was a reason last year why I was advocating taking Greg Olsen, athletic, difference maker at the position.

Cowboys have Newman and AHen...Florence would be a 3 there, he'd be a 2 here. I don't think they'd outbid us for a guy they're thinking nickleback about. Unless AHen is being moved to FS...seeing I know there was some talk about it.
Trust me, Jerry Jones and Wade are interested in Florence, there is talk that Henry may be a cut anyway. There has been no talk around here that I know of regarding Henry moving to FS. As of right now the Cowboys are in talks with Hamlin trying to sign him long term so that would make no sense.

yordad
02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
WR - Justin Gage
TE - Eric Johnson
LB - Boss Bailey
CB - Drayton FlorenceI think this sounds reasonable. Sound prediction.

I would like to see Boss, Faine, and Cory Williams. I think that is modest also. Also, I think we would still have the cash to extend some people.

jimbohastle51
02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
boss bailey would be the ideal linebacker for the hole we need to fill, plus jauron was his DC in detroit for a couple years and i am sure knows his strengths as good as anyone.

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 07:42 AM
boss bailey would be the ideal linebacker for the hole we need to fill, plus jauron was his DC in detroit for a couple years and i am sure knows his strengths as good as anyone.
Yeah he would be if he could stay healthy :ill:

Bert102176
02-15-2008, 02:28 AM
I could see us going after Cory Williams, Boss Baily, Jeff Faine (I hope), and if Matt Jones is cut I would like him emensly

kernowboy
02-15-2008, 05:32 AM
This is what I think we need

a LB - we need to upgrade Ellison, and Stammer and Haggan may be out.
I would pick TEDDY LEHMAN over Boss Bailey. Jauron was DC at Lions in 2004-05 when both were there. In 2004, Lehman had an awesome rookie season while Bailey was on IR. Bailey only came on in 2005 after Lehman was injured. Lehman was drafted on DJs watch. He obvious had faith and ended up with a rookie who made over a 100 tackles

a C - this is a position of weakness in the draft but there is a standout FA candidate in JEFF FAINE. Can we afford to miss out here?

a WR - we need to have 5 decent WRs and we are two short at the mo. One will come in the draft and I think we should target someone like DJ Hackett as other names mentioned will be too pricey and will expect a No2 role at the least

LifetimeBillsFan
02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
I see the Bills making a big push for Randy Starks at DT--I don't think they will want to pay the kind of money that it will take to sign Corey Moore.

They may make an offer to sign Earnest Wilford, but I doubt that they will want to pay the kind of money that he will likely command. I think B.Johnson will look to sign with a warmer weather team and would be surprised if the Bills were able to get DJ Hackett to leave Seattle. As a result, I think that they will draft a WR rather than sign one in free agency, although I do think they will try to get one of the three that I have mentioned if they can get him at a reasonable price.

While I'm not sure that the Bills will see OLB as being as big a need as some fans do, on the other hand, I would not be surprised if they do make a move there. V.Hobson supposedly doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense and would be a good fit in the Bills' defensive system--he may not be that expensive to sign. If Atlanta lets M.Boley hit the market, he could also be someone that the Bills might target with everyone thinking that they will make a play for L.Briggs (who is going to be too expensive for the Bills to sign). I would take Boley or Hobson over T.Lehman or B.Bailey ANY day!

I don't see the Bills bringing in more than one or two higher profile free agents. I think they try to address one or, at most, two weak spots in free agency and fill the rest of their needs through the draft and by development from within, adding one or two lower case FAs for depth.

With A.Merz coming back, I don't see them going after a center, especially because they like M.Fowler and want to start establishing some continuity with their offensive line. I could, however, see them trying to bring in a FA DE--possibly one of Tennessee's two FA DEs--but they may feel that A.Wallace's return will help them to replace Hargrove and allow them to draft a DE in the middle rounds of the draft that they can give a year to develop.