PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs willing to trade down in the Draft??...

TypicalBill
04-08-2003, 11:24 AM
"The TFY Draft Preview has learned Wake Forest defensive end Calvin Pace is making his way up draft boards and ranks highly on the Kansas City Chief list. Pace was flown out to the Chiefs facility last week and head coach Dick Vermeil will personally work him out tomorrow in Winston Salem. Could the Chiefs take him in round one? Possibly according to the source we spoke with as Pace blew scouts away earlier this month running in the mid 4.6 range during Pro Day workouts, or they may trade down and select him. "

Would it be a good idea to get the 16th pick overall and grab an Impact player? like Jonathan Sullivan or Jerome McDougal..

Thoughts....

Ebenezer
04-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Great idea, but the Bills only have 7 picks and depth is always important. Trading away a pick or two to get up to 16 just isn't prudent. I would still rather see us trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

SoCalBillsFan
04-08-2003, 12:27 PM
I dont think we need seven picks to be honest. We are pretty much drafting for depth this year. If we can move up a few spots and get a better impact player I am for it, but it all depends on who we are getting.

Ebenezer
04-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
I dont think we need seven picks to be honest. We are pretty much drafting for depth this year. If we can move up a few spots and get a better impact player I am for it, but it all depends on who we are getting.

I completely disagree. This team has major questions on the DL and at TE. We currently have no back up at RB and depth at the WR spot is questionable. There is still no nickle CB on the roster. This draft is not for depth.

DraftBoy
04-08-2003, 12:30 PM
I would deal say our #1 and a 5th for the #16. McDougal should be there then, and Boss Bailey might even be there. Would be a great pickup.

Ebenezer
04-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Bailey is not getting past the Pats at 14.

SoCalBillsFan
04-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

I completely disagree. This team has major questions on the DL and at TE. We currently have no back up at RB and depth at the WR spot is questionable. There is still no nickle CB on the roster. This draft is not for depth.

The starters on the DL are pretty set-Schoebel, Pat, Sam, and Jones. We have Mckenzie, Irons, denney, etc. as depth for DE. IF we draft another DE to start instead of jones, we'll have PLENTY of depth there. At DT we have bannan, edwards, etc. right now, drafting another one would certainly give us depth. Either way, it is unlikely we'll pick up a starter and if we pick one it will be for depth this year, maybe a starter in the future.

TE is the one position we may draft a starter, but between campbell and moore it is still likely that if we draft a TE he won't start.

THe rest of your concerns seems to be about depth as well (backup RB, WR, etc). Kevin Thomas might be the nickel corner, but I agree if we can get one to play number 3 this year, great.

Seems like we are drafting for depth. What am I missing? where do we need a starter?

Ebenezer
04-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

The starters on the DL are pretty set-Schoebel, Pat, Sam, and Jones. We have Mckenzie, Irons, denney, etc. as depth for DE. IF we draft another DE to start instead of jones, we'll have PLENTY of depth there. At DT we have bannan, edwards, etc. right now, drafting another one would certainly give us depth. Either way, it is unlikely we'll pick up a starter and if we pick one it will be for depth this year, maybe a starter in the future.

TE is the one position we may draft a starter, but between campbell and moore it is still likely that if we draft a TE he won't start.

THe rest of your concerns seems to be about depth as well (backup RB, WR, etc). Kevin Thomas might be the nickel corner, but I agree if we can get one to play number 3 this year, great.

Seems like we are drafting for depth. What am I missing? where do we need a starter?

I never said we need starters. I said this team needs as many picks as possible.

DL: Currently, there are 2 sure starters on the DL: Williams and Adams...and Adams may have knee problems. Schoebel will be good with other talent around him. We have no clue about Jones or McKenzie and how good they will be after injuries.

DT: Bannan was a fifth rounder and did not exactly look like Ted Washington out there and Edwards has had two years and still gets pushed around a lot. There is no proven depth there at all.

TE: Who knows.

RB, WR, and CB are all depth needs I agree...

...now do you believe we need all seven picks (or more)??

SoCalBillsFan
04-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
This draft is not for depth.

this is the part of your post I was debating

I never said we need starters.

:scratch: we dont need starters but we aren't drafting for depth?

I agree with your assesment of our needs, but if we don't need starters, then we are drafting for depth. I really don't see us drafting a DE though, because we just cant have that many on the roster. Jones and mckenzie both have potential. Yes , we dont know how they will respond to injury, but TD took a gamble on them, and they were his "DE draft picks" for this year. We have plenty of Depth at DE between mckenzie, irons, and denney (assuming jones starts). We'd have to cut one of those guys if we got a DE, not sure if TD is willing to give up on any of them yet.

DT we need depth, I agree. Bannan and edwards are inconsistent and unproven. I still dont see us adding more than 1 DT though.

RB, WR, CB we need one more player each. However these could com through FA after june 1 as well (RB perhaps?), or if we sign gary that would be huge.

I don't see it a need to draft a mediocre TE. Moore and Campbell are ok, but to upgrade we'd probably need a TE in round 1 or 2. Not sure about our depth situation there, but is it a "must draft" position? questionable.

So our NEEDS are RB, WR, CB. Our questionable needs are DE/DT, TE, but if we didn't draft any it wouldnt be the end of the world.

TO be honest, I wouldn't mind a LB either.

WE could only have 6 picks and still get all the depth we really need. And if we can trade up to grab a player with more long term potential and talent, I'd much rather do that than add another player just to get one on the roster. If we keep all seven picks, that's not bad either. It all dpeneds on who we get. The draft is about quality this year, not quantity!

ct bills fan
04-08-2003, 03:27 PM
No team would trade #16 for #23 and a fifth. It would take at least a 3rd, probably a 2nd - not worth it. Especially considering the depth of this draft.

lunatic_bills_fan
04-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Its not that big of deal to move up that many spots. If the Chiefs like him that much and dont think he'll be around with their next pick, they'll take him, therefore one of those impact players will have to drop and so on and so on.

Dozerdog
04-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
I would deal say our #1 and a 5th for the #16. McDougal should be there then, and Boss Bailey might even be there. Would be a great pickup.

LOL- So would I- If some GM really wanted to get fired he'd make that trade.

I have a question- would you trade DOWN to the Raiders for their 5th round pick? You would get lynched.

colin
04-08-2003, 08:37 PM
We should just draft that dude that KC wants.

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-08-2003, 08:59 PM
It would take a 2nd rounder, and I wouldn't be willing to give that up.

Bert102176
04-08-2003, 09:09 PM
I think with the money problems the Raiders are having I think we could trade our 23rd for both of their first rounders

clumping platelets
04-09-2003, 10:56 AM
I would give a 3rd to move to the #16, but it would likely take our #2 with us getting back a 4th or 5th.

DL Kevin Williams, Oklahoma St

:up:

Ebenezer
04-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I think with the money problems the Raiders are having I think we could trade our 23rd for both of their first rounders

I like that idea, don't think it will happen though. Also, I would want to make that trade before draft day.