Which is our most important position to consider in the first round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Which is our most important position to consider in the first round?

We could end up with the #1 WR (Kelly), but WR's usually take at least one year to acclimate. Most likely wouldn't pay off until year 2.

We could end up with the #1 OLB (Rivers), but OLB is not our most glaring need on defense.

We could end up with the #1 TE (Davis), but we could get as good if not better all around talent in the 2nd RD at TE with Carlson.

We could end up with the #4 DE (Campbell), we will not have a #3 DE for our rotation because Hargrove is gone so we NEED a formidable DE from FA or high in the draft.

We could end up with the #3 DT (Balmer), in my opinion not worth this pick and we could do better with our 1st RD pick.

We could end up with the # CB (Talib), we don't need a shut down corner in the 1st RD for a cover 2 defense.

I'd say if we are looking to get the most bang for our buck and if we are trying to build from the draft and find another day 1 starter then we either have to grab Kelly-WR or Rivers-OLB at #11. I STRONGLY believe that we need to solidify the TE position and not with another average TE from FA or the draft. Go get Carlson in round 2.

If we can fill a few positions via FA...Wilford/Johnson at WR and Starks/Williams at DT then we can go after Rivers in round 1, Carlson in round 2, Caldwell in round 3a, Lawrence Jackson in round 3b and Terrell THomas in round 4. FA could be crucial for us in order to get to the level that we need to be for the playoffs this year.
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • Bmax
    • Aug 2003

Re: Which is our most important position to consider in the first round?

Te in rd one would be a mistake...DAVIS NOT WORTH THE 11 PICK.....

Merling DE from Clemson could be an option......Combine work out will tell the story...

Bmax

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

To me the draft is about building depth/collecting the best talent so you don't necessarily always need to draft for need. Therefore if a talent like Rivers is available you take him in part because we need help at one of our outside LB spots and Angelo Crowell is due to become an UFA in a year or two and something have to factor. I'm not sold there i s any TE worth taking in Round 1, don't feel Balmer being a guy would want at DT. Campbell is high on my list either. I could see taking a CB but like Jenkins better as not sold on McGee or Greer.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

I want us to trade down and grab a guy like Early Doucet or Reggie Smith.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

We've got to do something to upgrade our porous defense. I suggest starting where it all starts and looking at DT's and DE's.

Comment

Looking at the scenarios both the Bears and the Vikings are possibly looking for a QB. Both might be prepared to surrender a R2, to make sure they nab Brohm or Ryan.

Trading down to 17 would still allow us to grab Dan Connor or go for someone who is climbing fast like Pat Sims of Auburn. Either would be a significant upgrade over Ellison or Triplett.

Into R2 and armed with 2 picks, we could either draft a DT like Dre Moore or a LB like Erin Henderson. With the extra pick I would hope our big receiver in the form of Adarius Bowman is still there

I think Carlson will be available in R3 as TE seems to be a position where there is much of a muchness and it will fall to individual preference. I think he is a better long term bet than Davis

I would also hope we might give serious consideration to Justin King, who is a deep CB class would be a steal

if Crowell does leave we can always go after Sean Lee, and if we've drafted Connor this year then we'll have a Nittany Lions Corps .. stranger things have happened.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

I always like to draft the best player available in regards to your needs. Right now this team has room for improvement on both sides.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

WR, DT and DE are my first round priorities. We need desperately to open up the offence with a big, rangy 2nd WR, and to stop the run and pressure the opposing QB -both of which start on the D line.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Im more worried about rounds 3-7 to be perfectly honest
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    Im more worried about rounds 3-7 to be perfectly honest
                    That's where drafts are won and lost.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                      That's where drafts are won and lost.

Yep and we badly need to win this one
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Agreed

In Marv's first draft Day2 was excellent bringing in Simpson, Williams, Butler, Ellison, Pennington and Merz. All have started games, 5 are still on the roster and I still think its a shame we didn't hang on to Pennington

In 2007, it was abysmal. Wright, Wendling, Schouman and Ah You the last selection was a disgrace. It would not surprise me are on the roster come the start of the 2008 season (Ah You didn't make it out of training camp) though I think we need to have a look at Wendling.

With Day2 starting with R3, I would be disappointed if we could not find at least two starters amongst our 8 current picks and I am however this could be as many as 4.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
                          We could end up with the #1 WR (Kelly), but WR's usually take at least one year to acclimate. Most likely wouldn't pay off until year 2.

We could end up with the #1 OLB (Rivers), but OLB is not our most glaring need on defense.

We could end up with the #1 TE (Davis), but we could get as good if not better all around talent in the 2nd RD at TE with Carlson.

We could end up with the #4 DE (Campbell), we will not have a #3 DE for our rotation because Hargrove is gone so we NEED a formidable DE from FA or high in the draft.

We could end up with the #3 DT (Balmer), in my opinion not worth this pick and we could do better with our 1st RD pick.

We could end up with the # CB (Talib), we don't need a shut down corner in the 1st RD for a cover 2 defense.

I'd say if we are looking to get the most bang for our buck and if we are trying to build from the draft and find another day 1 starter then we either have to grab Kelly-WR or Rivers-OLB at #11. I STRONGLY believe that we need to solidify the TE position and not with another average TE from FA or the draft. Go get Carlson in round 2.

If we can fill a few positions via FA...Wilford/Johnson at WR and Starks/Williams at DT then we can go after Rivers in round 1, Carlson in round 2, Caldwell in round 3a, Lawrence Jackson in round 3b and Terrell THomas in round 4. FA could be crucial for us in order to get to the level that we need to be for the playoffs this year.
                          To me, LB is in fact our most glaring need.

Our defense was pretty bad last year. But we do have things to build on. Kyle Williams and McCargo are both solid players. Jabari Greer earned himself a starting spot IMO. McGee is solid. Whitner is a very good player. Simpson was good before the injury. I think the secondary is fine. DE could use a bit of help because Schobel is starter material and Kelsay is OK in a rotation but Denney isnt good enough and we still need one more.

At LB, we have Crowell as a solid player, and Pos who looks decent but is still unproven. Thats it. Ellison isnt good enough IMO.

So, I can see us needing an upgrade at OLB, and then rotational DE and DT types.

Thats based on need. But its not the final answer. The truth is that if you can upgrade at non-need positions sometimes you do it to make your team better. Thats why CB should be on the table. Neither McGee or Greer are stars and we face star WR's.

On O we can use more playmakers plain and simple. Evans is coming into a contract year and our #2 WR hasnt been good enough since Evans filled it.

We still dont have a great TE either.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

i think we go Rivers in the 1st round, i think we go Sweed at WR in the second or a big WR, Carlson TE in the 3rd or Bennett, and go best DT with size available with the other 3rd, We come out of the draft on day one like that i am very happy
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Defensive Line is my choice. We need to upgrade the DT position and I wouldn't mind a stud DE either.

I wouldn't mind a LB either if that is the top player rated when we pick.

A bonafide 2nd WR would also be nice, but we have to stop the run 1st and get consistent pressure on the QB before we add a WR

Comment

Working...
                              X