PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich has impressive workout

Earthquake Enyart
04-08-2003, 12:12 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune (need to register for link or buy a paper) they say Leftwich ran a 4.89 40 and his leg showed no instability during the shuttle or 3 cone drills. Threw impressively to Bengal WR's including Warrick. Then he went off to Cincy for more private workouts. Marvin Lewis is said to like his leadership, athletic ability and charisma. Weighed in at a svelth 236.

Ingtar33
04-09-2003, 01:38 AM
Yep... Leftwich was very good... no problem with the leg.

lordofgun
04-09-2003, 01:38 PM
I just read on sportsline that Leftwich was less than impressive.

Ingtar33
04-10-2003, 01:00 AM
?

God there is no pleasing people some people... Leftwich was both very good, and very athletic... he moved well, and showed the accuracy we all know he has (which is the best of any QB in this draft). The only people who couldn't be impressed were people expecting him to throw 100 yard bombs (he threw several 60+ yard strikes), complete every pass (Warrick dropped two that hit him in the hands), run a 4.4 (he ran a very respectable 4.88), and shoot fire out of his ass!

In fact he impressed us with something we weren’t sure he could do… he threw on the run both left and right, with accuracy which would have impressed Elway. I know the Bengals whisked him off to Cinci right after the practice, something they hadn’t intended to do, for an extended and private tryout team meeting… Sounds like they weren’t impressed :rolleyes:

The Spaz
04-10-2003, 06:53 AM
The Bengals never know what the want or even know what there looking for there a joke for a football aorganization! Go Bills!

Earthquake Enyart
04-10-2003, 08:29 AM
In my dream world, the Bengals take Leftwich and Palmer falls to the Bears.

lordofgun
04-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
?

God there is no pleasing people some people... Leftwich was both very good, and very athletic... he moved well, and showed the accuracy we all know he has (which is the best of any QB in this draft). The only people who couldn't be impressed were people expecting him to throw 100 yard bombs (he threw several 60+ yard strikes), complete every pass (Warrick dropped two that hit him in the hands), run a 4.4 (he ran a very respectable 4.88), and shoot fire out of his ass!

In fact he impressed us with something we weren’t sure he could do… he threw on the run both left and right, with accuracy which would have impressed Elway. I know the Bengals whisked him off to Cinci right after the practice, something they hadn’t intended to do, for an extended and private tryout team meeting… Sounds like they weren’t impressed :rolleyes:

Nice. I trust you over some stupid sportsline writer, that's for sure.

lordofgun
04-10-2003, 08:47 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2003/04/07/banks_insider/

There's the article I was speaking of. Sorry, it was SI, not sportsline.

Ingtar33
04-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Gotcha... I've never read this guy before... It seems to me that he "heard" that people got what they expected. I'll agree with that. He wasn't flawless, but he was a little bit better than Palmer at his workout (the only QB in this draft who even comes close to Leftwich's arm strength and accuracy is Dave Ragone, and maybe Chris Simms)...

The "under center" concern is a red herring that us scouts sometimes buy. I've never seen a QB, who worked out of shotgun in college have difficulty working under center because inevitably they will take snaps under center in goal line, and if there is something horribly wrong with them it would have shone first... heck in 15minutes I could teach anyone to take a snap under center and drop back correctly (even to the 3/5/7 set drop back).

Palmer’s status is a study in combine/workout numbers clouding scout’s eyes. Palmer showed very well in his physical numbers. Most guys get hoodwinked by them, they see a QB who runs the 40 fast, and can jump well and think Elway. Well anyone who’s actually watched Palmer would see he’s a pure pocket passer, and that Leftwich actually moves better in the pocket. All that speed and athleticism trapped in the pocket still results in a primarily pocket passer. About the only thing you get from Palmer you don’t get from Leftwich is Palmer would be more natural in a QB rollout or bootleg than Leftwich would be.