PDA

View Full Version : I am not an advocate of taking a WR in Round 1.

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I would much rather sign a possesion receiver and draft someone in rnd 2 or 3.

DraftBoy
02-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Names of who you like?

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I am a draft novice so I will leave it up to you to tell me solid 2nd or 3rd round WRs. In regards to Free agency I have been all about Wilford from day 1. He is exactly what we need. Parrish and Reed and the drafted WR would put together a solid corp...

kernowboy
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I think we can trade down in R1 and get an extra R2. After all Brohm will be available at 11, and the Bears, Vikings and Bucs could all be interested.

Looking at how it pans out I want a DT and a LB with our first two picks

I think we can go the following ways

Dan Connor in the 1st and Dre Moore in the 2nd

or

Pat Sims in the 1st and Erin Henderson in the 2nd

Either way we upgrade two positions in the defence front 7.

With the extra R2 pick I would love to land Adarius Bowman, the big type of bruising receiver who will cause havoc especially in tamdem with a TE in the 3rd like Bennett or Carlson or Keller.

We've upgraded the Defence and the Offence and still have another R3 pick

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I think we can trade down in R1 and get an extra R2. After all Brohm will be available at 11, and the Bears, Vikings and Bucs could all be interested.

Looking at how it pans out I want a DT and a LB with our first two picks

I think we can go the following ways

Dan Connor in the 1st and Dre Moore in the 2nd

or

Pat Sims in the 1st and Erin Henderson in the 2nd

Either way we upgrade two positions in the defence front 7.

With the extra R2 pick I would love to land Adarius Bowman, the big type of bruising receiver who will cause havoc especially in tamdem with a TE in the 3rd like Bennett or Carlson or Keller.

We've upgraded the Defence and the Offence and still have another R3 pick
I like this and if you think about it the Offense isn't that far off. Just upgrades at WR and TE are sorely needed(provided Edwards pans out)

The King
02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I am a draft novice so I will leave it up to you to tell me solid 2nd or 3rd round WRs. In regards to Free agency I have been all about Wilford from day 1. He is exactly what we need. Parrish and Reed and the drafted WR would put together a solid corp...

Wilford is not a definite answer he looks great on paper but he's probably just a situational as Roscoe.

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Wilford is not a definite answer he looks great on paper but he's probably just a situational as Roscoe.
Right I wouldn't expect him to put up 1000 yards or even need him to but he would add another needed dimension(Size and hands in the redzone) I would be fine with him putting up 45 catches for 600 yards and 6 TDs. He would open up things for Roscoe, Reed and Evans.

finsrclowns
02-14-2008, 03:40 PM
If there is defensive help at 11 we should grab it. Anyone who watched the 56-10 game knows we can't win without better front 7 play. I say finish the defense first.

Ultra Chimp 1
02-14-2008, 03:43 PM
It would be a serious mistake to not draft a WR round one. We have to not only sign a vet WR, but draft a WR in the first round as well.

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
It would be a serious mistake to not draft a WR round one. We have to not only sign a vet WR, but draft a WR in the first round as well.
Both you think? I wouldn't be upset if we did grab a WR at 11 just don't think it is necessary.

Philagape
02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't care whether it's through the draft or FA, but we must have a legit #2 WR on opening day. And I think offense is a higher priority.

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 03:52 PM
We're drafting a WR.

madness
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Neither am I.... unless it's Kelly. :D

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
We're drafting a WR.
Oh we are? Who is it?

Ultra Chimp 1
02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Both you think? I wouldn't be upset if we did grab a WR at 11 just don't think it is necessary.

Yup, both. I think you might be overestimating Parrish and Reed. They're really not that good. Reed is by far the worst option and really has no business playing on this team. He should have been demoted to the practice squad years ago.

Parrish is a good change up guy and an awesome kick returner, and that's it. I remember one game this season. I think it was against the pats. Anyways, we gave parrish the ball alot. More than usual. Parrish absolutley got stuffed almost every time. That tells me Parrish is more a secert weapon type.

If the opposing team doesn't see Parrish coming, then he usually suceeds. Take away the stealth advantage and he really is lacklustre. Put simply, you just can't give him the rock that much.

But you know what? I'd rather have Parrish than Reed if it came down toa choice. Reed is a pylon.

Evans is good, but not good enough going forward it seems. He needs help. The Bills don't just need another number two reciever. The Bills needs a 1b type guy.

We get the vet WR in there with Evans, draft the big young WR in the first, keep Parrish and hope for the best.

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh we are? Who is it?
Sweed.....

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Sweed.....
at 11? I thought his stock has gone way down?

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
at 11? I thought his stock has gone way down?
Well, we have a way of picking guys who shouldn't really be picked where we're picking them (according to the "experts.") He has everything we're looking for in a WR and might fit what we need better than anyone out there. I also think there's a good chance that we trade down.

kernowboy
02-14-2008, 04:16 PM
the thing is, we can pick up a WR who can easily start on Day1 in R2

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 04:18 PM
the thing is, we can pick up a WR who can easily start on Day1 in R2
You can pick up a lot of players in every round that can start on day one.

Night Train
02-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked a CB in Round 1, like McKelvin or Cromartie. They're better players than any of the WR's mentioned.

I agree with Thurm. A vet FA or a good hands guy in Rounds 2-4.

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked a CB in Round 1, like McKelvin or Cromartie. They're better players than any of the WR's mentioned.

I agree with Thurm. A vet FA or a good hands guy in Rounds 2-4.
What you all don't seem to understand is that there aren't any FA WR's out there that fit what we need. We need someone with size and strength; I know you all will bring up Wilford but it's not happening. Word is they are in talks for an extension.

Confused
02-14-2008, 05:09 PM
roy williams?

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
roy williams?
He's not a free agent and:

Booth Newspapers' Tom Kowalski reports the Lions will have to be "overwhelmed" by a trade offer to part ways with Roy Williams. Kowalski says Williams is on the block and that the Lions will certainly entertain offers, but they want to get one more year out of him. Williams is still expected to leave Detroit as an unrestricted free agenct next offseason.

Also take into consideration what he's going to command contract wise going to a new team. It just wouldn't happen here in Buffalo.

The Jokeman
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Names of who you like?

In order UFAs
Jerry Porter
Bryant Johnson
Justin Gage
DJ Hackett
Ernest Wilford

In order, WR options for Round 2:
Limas Sweed
Adarius Bowman
James Hardy
Early Doucet
Devin Thomas

In order, WR options for Round 3:
Earl Bennett
Keenan Burton
William Franklin
Andre Caldwell

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
UFAs I like in order:
Jerry Porter - Not a Bills type player.
Bryant Johnson - Inconsistent.
Justin Gage - Best of the bunch but they are working to re-sign him.
DJ Hackett - No thanks
Ernest Wilford - We'll have some serious competition and he's going to want to get paid well. But I'd take him if we could outbid the Jags and other teams. Good luck.

WR options for Round 2:
Limas Sweed - Will be gone in R1.
Adarius Bowman - Good pick, if he's there I'd take him.
James Hardy - Not the type of WR we're looking for.
Early Doucet - I'd take him if he's there in the second.
Devin Thomas - Pass

WR options for Round 3:
Earl Bennett - Pass
Keenan Burton - Pass
William Franklin - Pass
Andre Caldwell - Pass

patmoran2006
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
It depends onw hat we do via FA.
If we get a REAL #2 in FA, then there isn't a "need" for a WR in round one of the draft; Parrish and Reed are fine off the bench.

My PREFERENCE: or I should say what I hope happens is we sign Gage or Wilford via FA, and find Rivers (OLB) on the board at #11.

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
It depends onw hat we do via FA.
If we get a REAL #2 in FA, then there isn't a "need" for a WR in round one of the draft; Parrish and Reed are fine off the bench.

My PREFERENCE: or I should say what I hope happens is we sign Gage or Wilford via FA, and find Rivers (OLB) on the board at #11.
Titans are in talks with Gage and are likely to agree to an extension.

Wilford is going to come at a pretty high price tag, it will depend on whether Ralph wants to compete with the handful of other teams that will be looking to snatch his services.

Mad Max
02-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Agreed, nothing worse than waiting, and waiting, and .....for a WR to develop. That is IF he develops at all (Charles Rodgers, Mike Williams..) We can't afford the time or risk another colossal 1st round bust.

Sign Jerry Porter, he's the tough guy to play opposite our burner in Evans. Throw in a little Roscoe P. Coltrane and we got some West Coast Offense East Coast Style. Draft a WR project inrounds 3-4, and let him develop.

Draft a DE or DT in the first (no freaking corner backs..nothing less sexy than a mid 1st round CB pick..ruins my Saturday). Anyway we are in dire need for PRESSURE fro the DL, and since we have complementary players at best on squad currently...we gotta get someone for them to complement!!

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Agreed, nothing worse than waiting, and waiting, and .....for a WR to develop. That is IF he develops at all (Charles Rodgers, Mike Williams..) We can't afford the time or risk another colossal 1st round bust.

Sign Jerry Porter, he's the tough guy to play opposite our burner in Evans. Throw in a little Roscoe P. Coltrane and we got some West Coast Offense East Coast Style. Draft a WR project inrounds 3-4, and let him develop.

Draft a DE or DT in the first (no freaking corner backs..nothing less sexy than a mid 1st round CB pick..ruins my Saturday). Anyway we are in dire need for PRESSURE fro the DL, and since we have complementary players at best on squad currently...we gotta get someone for them to complement!!
Porter will not be signed by the Bills. He's not "our" type of player and he's going to be 30 soon and he has horrible production since his one good year (which wasn't even all that impressive.)

It's hard to dog on Rogers like you are because he started his career out injured and basically ended it injured. You can't control things like that.

The Lions had no business drafting Williams where they did in the first place. BTW, do you see a pattern with the two? Both drafted by the horrible Lions.... Who does do well when drafted by the Lions?

You can throw out players at every position that have busted and say we shouldn't draft that position because of it but that would just be stupid. We draft based on need, one of our needs is WR. If the right guy is there when we pick (where ever it may be) we take him. It's that easy.

jimbo
02-14-2008, 11:51 PM
you win by running the ball and stopping the run.

DT is the greatest need on this team BY FAR.

NO WR 1st rd!

Is there a stud DT far and away better then anyone else in the draft and if so what are the chances he is there at 11?

Help me out some of you experts what DT's might go quick and to whom?

gr8slayer
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
you win by running the ball and stopping the run.

DT is the greatest need on this team BY FAR.

NO WR 1st rd!

Is there a stud DT far and away better then anyone else in the draft and if so what are the chances he is there at 11?

Help me out some of you experts what DT's might go quick and to whom?
Well if I'm ranking DT's I'd go with:
- Dorsey - Obvious...
- Ellis - Will be gone by 11....
- Balmer - Will be there but 11 is too high to take him....
- Sims - Too high.....

The problem with going DT at 11 is that there just isn't anyone there (assuming Ellis doesn't fall) that will be worth taking. Personally I hope we find a way to trade down to 20ish and then take someone like Balmer or a DE like Campbell, this is of course assuming DRC is not available at that 20 spot.

ParanoidAndroid
02-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Cutting Peerless was a good sign that this team realizes where we stand at WR. It's a no-brainer that we need to find a legitimate #2 receiver. If we're really lucky, we'll find somone even better than Evans so he can become the killer deep threat that he is.

gr8slayer
02-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Cutting Peerless was a good sign that this team realizes where we stand at WR. It's a no-brainer that we need to find a legitimate #2 receiver. If we're really lucky, we'll find somone even better than Evans so he can become the killer deep threat that he is.
I present to you Limas Sweed.

jimbo
02-15-2008, 12:15 AM
well in that case, aside from any trades that could benefit buffalo using there first pick id say if there is a cant-miss stud wideout on the board at 11 that might be the next best thing unless there is a TE who merits an 11 pick overall.

jimbo
02-15-2008, 12:18 AM
thats a cool name.....Limas Sweed.

gr8slayer
02-15-2008, 12:21 AM
well in that case, aside from any trades that could benefit buffalo using there first pick id say if there is a cant-miss stud wideout on the board at 11 that might be the next best thing unless there is a TE who merits an 11 pick overall.
Some will argue this but I don't think there is a TE that's really worth a first round grade in this years draft. There are three WR's that will likely be available at the 11 spot that would be worth the #11, the two I would keep my eye on are Kelly and Sweed; both are 6'4-6'5 and have adequate speed.

One other "sexy" pick for us at eleven to keep an eye on is Rivers, Ellison obviously isn't the answer and it wouldn't hurt to add an athlete at OLB.

jimbo
02-15-2008, 12:30 AM
yes, now that someone more informed then me mentions LB and one who would merit an 11 pick i say go there before wideout. Our defense and offense were what 30 and 31 or vice versa. upgrade the defense first because the offense depends largely on Edwards learning curve anyway.

gr8slayer
02-15-2008, 12:38 AM
yes, now that someone more informed then me mentions LB and one who would merit an 11 pick i say go there before wideout. Our defense and offense were what 30 and 31 or vice versa. upgrade the defense first because the offense depends largely on Edwards learning curve anyway.
The good thing about WR and TE is that they are both fairly deep. There's a chance that someone like Sweed could drop because of his wrist injury that kept him out the majority of the year. If we went with Rivers in round one my draft would look like this:

Round two I'd go with James Hardy (assuming Sweed is gone). He's 6-7 220 and pretty damn fast. Some will say Doucet but we don't need more midgets, we need to get taller. We've already got two fast midgets in Evans and Parrish.

In round three my pick would be Martellus Bennett. He's 6-7 253 and is probably the best pure athlete available at TE in the draft.

I think we need to get bigger at our skill positions and these two would be a great start and be invaluable to Edwards and his transition.

jimbo
02-15-2008, 01:07 AM
absolutely, size and athleticism is imperative for this team at those positions.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I understand the concerns about taking a WR in Round # 1--they are legitimate concerns and I'm not going to blow them off, by any means. But, I think that there are reasons why the Bills just may end up taking a WR in the first round, if not at # 11, later on as a result of a tradedown:

1.) If Gage goes off the market, there are only 3 big WRs who will be available in free agency--Wilford, B.Johnson and DJ Hackett--and there are going ot be a lot of teams in pursuit of them.

All three of these WRs have big question-marks around them: Wilford beat out two 1st Round draft picks for a starting spot, but doesn't have great numbers or hands; B.Johnson hasn't managed to put up great numbers playing in a passing offense, with starts in relief of A.Boldin, and with two Pro Bowl caliber WRs taking coverage away from him; and Hackett, who has shown flashes of brilliance at times, hasn't been able to stay healthy and has an extensive injury history.

The Bills are certainly not going to be the only team that is going to be looking to sign a big WR like one of these three this offseason--they are each going to be getting several offers. While none of these three WRs is a "game-breaker", the price that they may end up commanding could be far more than they really are worth--at least to the Bills (especially if the Bills intend to retain L.Evans), who may find that they could better invest the money it would take to sign one of these WRs at a different position of need.

2.) With Dorsey and S.Ellis likely to be gone by # 11, there really isn't going to be a DT worthy of being picked that high still available. It's likely, however, that there will be a DT like R.Bryant or T.Laws still on the board when the Bills pick in Round # 3.

3.) While the Bills could go for Rivers or Connor at # 11, there are proven OLBs available in free agency who might be signed for less (or the same money) than it would take to get a WR in free agency to address that need and Adibi, who is likely to still be available in Round # 2, has the speed to be a great fit at OLB in the Bills defense.

4.) Similarly, while the Bills could definitely use a play-maker at CB, there are a number of CBs who could be good fits in a T-2 defense--T.Thomas, Lee, B.Flowers, C.Jackson, etc.--who should be available later on in the draft. I love DRC and McKelvin gets his hands on more balls than a gay hooker, but their talents aren't a necessity in a T-2 scheme and, in the long-term, either one would be likely to depart for a big payday elsewhere a la Clements.

5.) You want to get a play-maker for either your offense or defense when you pick in the first round--especially when you pick in the top third of the first round. The best playmakers in this draft at DT are likely going to be gone by the time the Bills pick. They can address their needs at CB, TE and LB either later in the draft or through free agency. Which leaves two positions where they can potentially get a big-time play-maker at # 11: DE or WR. D.Harvey and C.Campbell are possibilities at DE, but both have been known not to play up to their capabilities at times and the Bills have a lotof money tied up in Schobel (who they are going to have to look at replacing down the line, though) and Kelsay. On the other hand, the Bills are desperate to find a big, fast WR who can force opposing defenses to play L.Evans more honestly (and perhaps replace Evans if they can't re-sign him--and without Evans, the Bills have NO threats in their passing game right now!).

If M.Levy and S.Fairchild were still with the Bills, I would be thinking that D.Jackson would be the odds-on favorite to be the Bills' 1st Round pick: Levy's Cal connections (the Bills have drafted a Cal player each of the last two years) and Fairchild's insistence that his offense doesn't require any big WRs, along with the fact that Jackson is the smoothest, one of the fastest, and the most polished WR in this draft class being the reasons. And, if Jackson proves to be a legit 6' tall at The Combine, I still would not rule him out as a possibility--because he is the kind of game-breaker that you would want to get early on in the draft.

With Levy gone and Schonert now in charge of the Bills offense, I think that the Bills are more likely to be looking for a bigger WR than D.Jackson: a M.Kelly or L.Sweed. Both have the potential to be big-time game-breakers. Kelly is the Bills kind of player and he knows that he needs to get better, but he has deep speed and nice hands. Sweed is a bit bigger and more mature physically and seems to have overcome his tendency to drop the occasional easy pass while making the difficult catches, but Sweed has had a bad wrist injury that could be a real problem.

If Sweed's wrist is OK going forward, the Bills could get themselves a potentially much better WR--particularly down the road--by drafting one of these two (or even Jackson) than by signing Wilford, B.Johnson or DJ Hackett (and could use the money that it would take to sign one of these three WRs to sign either a DT or OLB in free agency).

Certainly, one has to be concerned about whether a WR taken in Round # 1 will ever develop into the kind of game-breaking player that you are looking to get in Round # 1--it's a high-risk/high-reward gamble that can easily backfire. But, if you are looking at what the Bills' needs are and what players are likely to be available when they pick in the 1st Round and then later in the draft, it's a gamble that they just may decide is worth taking this year.