PDA

View Full Version : Some really neat Sabres statistics / facts I'd like to share.....

Mitchy moo
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Buffalo is the hottest team in the league in the last 10 games played with a 8-0-2 record and is the only team with no outright losses in that stretch and is tied for the most wins with 8 (Dallas).

The Sabres have the lowest amount of outright losses @ home of any team in the eastern conference @ 8.

As of today, the Sabres are the #1 Penalty killing team in the Eastern conference.

The Sabres have 2 games in hand on all the teams currently situated 9-12 in the Eastern conference.

The Sabres have 15 home games and 10 away games remaining and are tied with the lowest amount of homes games played thus far with 2 other teams (carolina, phoenix) @ 26 games in the league. A huge majority ( ~85%) of the teams have a better record at home than they do away, which leads me to believe that the Sabres should play better than .500 hockey the rest of the way (based on averages).

Staying on the current pace and based on record alone, the Sabres should end up with ~94 total points for this season. Last year that good enough for 6th place in the conference and good for 7th the year before that.

Meathead
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
yeah they are sitting in a good position now. as long as they dont let up they should make it

the only neg to the whole thing is they have a ton of games against teams also fighting for playoff spots. i suppose you could say that about any team in the east but they are going to have to beat some desperate teams pretty consistently from here on out

Mitchy moo
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
yeah they are sitting in a good position now. as long as they dont let up they should make it

the only neg to the whole thing is they have a ton of games against teams also fighting for playoff spots. i suppose you could say that about any team in the east but they are going to have to beat some desperate teams pretty consistently from here on out

Though a majority of them we play at home, which gives us an advantage. If we beat most of them, they will realize that we are a playoff threat to be contended with. Earning respect comes with handing teams their asses, like Ottawa in the last game.

Nighthawk
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Crazy stats and it's even crazier to think how far this team has come in a month. I still think this team needs to make a move, but I can't complain about the way this team has played lately.

Ebenezer
02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
just remember...they are playing near perfect hockey to get where they are...don't be surprised if that doesn't translate to big time disappointment in the playoffs when other teams turn it up a notch.

Nighthawk
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
just remember...they are playing near perfect hockey to get where they are...don't be surprised if that doesn't translate to big time disappointment in the playoffs when other teams turn it up a notch.

I agree. That is the reason that I believe that they still need to make a move or two at or before the deadline.

Meathead
02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
no i dont think regular season results have anything to do with respect or who wins a playoff series. in fact i think the team with the better head to head record has a disadvantage in the playoffs because they have a tough time getting the edge early in a series and can find themselves down a game and strugging to get back to even as a result

beating nottawa was huge for the sabres confidence down the stretch so it was important for that. but in the event we face them in the postseason i would defenlly prefer having lost the season series to them

Dr. Lecter
02-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Kinda like Ottawa was doing in the 2nd half of last season?

Meathead
02-14-2008, 08:02 PM
at this point im not really worried about playoff matchups or even results. im just immensely happy theyve clawed their way back and should give us plenty to cheer for down the stretch and a reasonably good shot to the playoffs

once youre in anything can happen. sure i would acknowledge that the sabres do not appear built for a deep playoff run. but its at least possible things can change by then

in fact to some degree they already are. they have been playing more tight and physical on defense. they have been hitting quite a bit more all around. they have reduced looking for the pretty plays and committed to clogging the net and scrambling for rebounds instead

so theres at least reason to think they could surprise in the playoffs. but at this point all i care about right now is getting there

Mitchy moo
02-15-2008, 12:30 AM
at this point im not really worried about playoff matchups or even results. im just immensely happy theyve clawed their way back and should give us plenty to cheer for down the stretch and a reasonably good shot to the playoffs

once youre in anything can happen. sure i would acknowledge that the sabres do not appear built for a deep playoff run. but its at least possible things can change by then

in fact to some degree they already are. they have been playing more tight and physical on defense. they have been hitting quite a bit more all around. they have reduced looking for the pretty plays and committed to clogging the net and scrambling for rebounds instead

so theres at least reason to think they could surprise in the playoffs. but at this point all i care about right now is getting there

:dance:

Typ0
02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I think a big part of the trick here is to peak at the right time of the season. If we are peaking then we are done. Nice season. Some excitement. Trip to the playoffs. Done. However, if the fight in us is only getting started and we improve for the next six weeks there is a lot to come.

Mitchy moo
02-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Ruff took them golfing on their last florida trip for winning in Tampa. They have been pretty much aces since then as well.