X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Specter: Goodell's Spygate explanations don't pass scrutiny

A day after meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in Washington D.C., Sen. Arlen Specter said he continues to be troubled by a number of issues surrounding the league's handling of Spygate and will continue his investigation.

Specter (R-Pa.) told ESPN.com that Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) offered support on Thursday for his inquiry into the New England Patriots' questionable videotaping practices, saying Leahy is "prepared to have the committee pay for people who travel and investigate." Leahy sat in on a part of Wednesday's session with Goodell and league counsel, Specter said.

"I'm determined to go forward," said Specter, the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee. "You have answers and positions where [Goodell] is saying that with the destruction of tapes that, 'We did the right thing. We're absolutely sure.'

"Well, that is absurd . . . Goodell says things that don't make sense."

Sen. Arlen Specter listened to Roger Goodell's explanations for the league's actions regarding Spygate, but didn't hear satisfactory answers and will continue his investigation, writes ESPN.com's Mike Fish.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Specter: Goodell's Spygate explanations don't pass scrutiny

Wow! This thing could get very ugly soon. It sounds like they are going to personally protect that former Patriots video assistant too. The one that has info about the Super Bowl practice recording. I can't wait to hear more. May the New England Patriots dynasty talk be forever tarnished, as badly as Roger Clemens' legacy was tarnished....

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

the nfl could be in more trouble than even the cheatriots
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

if somebody produces a videotape that they have been hiding this will explode and be the sports story of the decade.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• njsue
          Jersey Girl!!!!!!
          • Sep 2003

Woooooooooooooohooooooooooo down with the Cheatriots

Comment

• Dujek
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Jan 2008

This could spell serious trouble for more than just the Patriots.

Goodell has basically been accused of a cover-up, and if it turns out to be true his position as NFL Commissioner would be untenable.

Comment

• njsue
              Jersey Girl!!!!!!
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Dujek
              This could spell serious trouble for more than just the Patriots.

Goodell has basically been accused of a cover-up, and if it turns out to be true his position as NFL Commissioner would be untenable.
              The ? is did Robert Kraft slip some $$$ to Goodell push the whole embarrassing issue under the rug?

Comment

• Dujek
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by njsue
                The ? is did Robert Kraft slip some $$$ to Goodell push the whole embarrassing issue under the rug?
                Covering it up should be enough to have him removed and publicly flogged. If it emerges he was bribed he could be sharing a cell with a certain M Vick.

To be honest I would doubt any money changed hands, Goodell probably thought he was doing the best thing for the league at the time, unfortunately he was very, very wrong.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Stupid move by Goodell to begin with. WTF? Does he have a picture of Richard Nixon hanging on his office wall?

What about Tagliabue? Possibly 90% of this happenend on his watch...How much does he know and how much did he let slide?
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                    Stupid move by Goodell to begin with. WTF? Does he have a picture of Richard Nixon hanging on his office wall?

What about Tagliabue? Possibly 90% of this happenend on his watch...How much does he know and how much did he let slide?
                    whoever goes after this is going to have big brass ones 'cause it could get really ugly.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

How did the NBA skate by with its dirty referee(s) scandal, which involved gambling and giving information to known gamblers, but the NFL gets killed for what appears to me a far more questionable offense?

Could it be Specter's Eagles losing the SB to the Pats?
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                        • Sep 2003

This is really dumb. Given that there was agreement as to what was on the tapes, Goddell was correct to destroy them.
                        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I think there is far less here than meets the eye.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Good ole boys trying to take care of eachother, sounds like a complete cluster F-.

I hope Roger and Kraft get torched.

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                              This is really dumb. Given that there was agreement as to what was on the tapes, Goddell was correct to destroy them.
                              Just because Goodell says he agreed with Belichick about what was on them, doesn't mean there wasn't a cover up for something else being on them. He said he didn't want anyone else (other teams) to get a hold of the tapes, so he destroyed them. Sorry but, if they're locked away in his office, how would other teams get their hands on them?? That's the lamest excuse!

I keep thinking back to that sick thought I had about Goodell making a deal with Belichick. Lose the SB, and I'll destroy the evidence. They played like CRAP, wouldn't give the ball to Moss, their OL didn't protect Brady at all, etc. Coincidence? Maybe. I'll be the first to puke if that's what happened.
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X