PDA

View Full Version : Zach Thomas: Classy to the end

LtFinFan66
02-15-2008, 04:47 AM
This is the kind of quote you like to see from a player when he is released by a team. Not some of the crap guys have talked about their former teams of late. Thanks Zach and you will be missed!

"I want to thank the entire organization, especially Mr. Huizenga, for making my 12 seasons with the Dolphins as memorable as they were," Thomas said. "I also want to thank all the coaches and teammates that I’ve had during my career for helping me to grow both on and off the field. I have a tremendous appreciation and admiration not only for the Dolphins organization, but for the fans as well, for all of the support that they have given me. I can’t thank Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and the rest of Dolphins management enough for handling this situation in a first-class manner. I am healthy and look forward to playing in 2008, but will always consider myself a Miami Dolphin"
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806af7df&template=with-video&confirm=true

Night Train
02-15-2008, 05:42 AM
I may dislike the Fins but Thomas and Jason Taylor do carry themselves well on and off the field. That DOES count for something, in my world.

TacklingDummy
02-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Overrated.

Maybe the Bills should take a look.

Mr. Miyagi
02-15-2008, 06:42 AM
I agree, I hate the Dolphins but you've got to give props to class like that. :bf1:

May Zach Thomas does well wherever he goes except the Patriots.

Dujek
02-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Classy statement from someone who has been a credit to his team and the league.

TedMock
02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I may dislike the Fins but Thomas and Jason Taylor do carry themselves well on and off the field. That DOES count for something, in my world.

Zach Thomas has always carried himself with class and has always played above his 5'10" frame. There's something to be said for the hard work he displayed.

I disagree with you on Taylor. A tremendous talent, no doubt, but a whiner beyond most. He does good things in the community and he's a good ball player. I just cannot stand the cry baby, spoiled brat crap that has become routine for him.

Mike13
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Barney Rubble was a great LB for the Dolphin and he really was a class act.
I'd take him over loud mouth Joey Porter any day.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I bet the Redskins will be interested..

DynaPaul
02-16-2008, 12:08 PM
He definitely took the high road to that whole ordeal. I'm surprised that they're releasing him. I think he has a little gas left in the tank and he seems like a player Parcells would like. I wish him well wherever he goes unless it's the Pats.

LtFinFan66
02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I read today that he is meeting with the Saints and the Cowboys. I can live with either of those

gr8slayer
02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Thomas has always been one of my favorite players, he's the kind of guy I wish didn't have to get old.

RockStar36
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I read the other day that if he plays in 2008 he will only play for a team that he considers a Super Bowl contender.

Ickybaluky
02-18-2008, 08:28 AM
I read today that he is meeting with the Saints and the Cowboys. I can live with either of those

He is visiting the Patriots today. I have read he has interest from Dallas, New Orleans and Buffalo as well.

Dallas and NE seem the most likely destinations.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 08:32 AM
He is visiting the Patriots today. I have read he has interest from Dallas, New Orleans and Buffalo as well.

Dallas and NE seem the most likely destinations.
Who wouldn't want to play for a cheater right? Best chance to win.

Luisito23
02-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Hahaha!

Ickybaluky
02-18-2008, 08:39 AM

I know your hatred of the Cowboys is partly due to your living there, but you really shouldn't put them down.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I know your hatred of the Cowboys is partly due to your living there, but you really shouldn't put them down.
I'm actually quite fond of the Cowboys and am a season ticket holder :up:

Ickybaluky
02-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm actually quite fond of the Cowboys and am a season ticket holder :up:

I know, I thought you hated them from the way you talked about them before. I think you were talking about Cowboy fans, though.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
I know, I thought you hated them from the way you talked about them before. I think you were talking about Cowboy fans, though.
The Cowboys much like the Patriots are chalk full of bandwagon fans. Thus I can't stand either team and their "life long fans."

OpIv37
02-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Zach Thomas WAS classy- now that he's talking to the dirtbag Pats, I'm losing respect for him.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Zach Thomas WAS classy- now that he's talking to the dirtbag Pats, I'm losing respect for him.
:lol: where have you been Op? This board needs more reality.

OpIv37
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
:lol: where have you been Op? This board needs more reality.

new job- I can't post at work anymore.

But I was off today.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
new job- I can't post at work anymore.

But I was off today.
No more AIM?

OpIv37
02-18-2008, 06:48 PM
No more AIM?

nope- I'm behind a government firewall.

!Papacrunk!
02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I would say that after all of the hard work, heart and soul he put on the field, he deserves to get the payoff with a championship caliber team--even if it's the Patriots. It would just suck to see him in those colors. If he was to go there, I wonder what would happen with Seau and Bruschi? I'm sure they could have all three, but that would obviously be a very old corps. I really don't see him going anywhere else--I'm sure he'll follow through and still visit the other teams, but since the Patriots offered him a contract I'm not sure what else would get in the way.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I would say that after all of the hard work, heart and soul he put on the field, he deserves to get the payoff with a championship caliber team--even if it's the Patriots. It would just suck to see him in those colors. If he was to go there, I wonder what would happen with Seau and Bruschi? I'm sure they could have all three, but that would obviously be a very old corps.
Sadly, there are a lot of players I've said the same thing about. It sucks to see an HOF caliber player (excluding Dan Marino) not win a championship.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
nope- I'm behind a government firewall.
They gave you a job after that petition?

!Papacrunk!
02-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Sadly, there are a lot of players I've said the same thing about. It sucks to see an HOF caliber player (excluding Dan Marino) not win a championship.

I've always wondered if the SB ring would be the thing to get him over the top for getting into the HOF.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 08:07 PM
I've always wondered if the SB ring would be the thing to get him over the top for getting into the HOF.
In my opinion his statistics alone are HOF worthy.

OpIv37
02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
They gave you a job after that petition?

hahaha I contract with the federal government.

The petition was against the state government.

But I did go to a tax guy this year cuz I'm afraid I'm going to get audited.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2008, 04:37 AM
I would say that after all of the hard work, heart and soul he put on the field, he deserves to get the payoff with a championship caliber team--even if it's the Patriots. It would just suck to see him in those colors. If he was to go there, I wonder what would happen with Seau and Bruschi? I'm sure they could have all three, but that would obviously be a very old corps. I really don't see him going anywhere else--I'm sure he'll follow through and still visit the other teams, but since the Patriots offered him a contract I'm not sure what else would get in the way.

I think Dallas will push hard for him. It makes a lot of sense, because they could use his veteran leadership. Remember, Wade Phillips brought a couple veteran LB to SD (Randall Godfrey and Donnie Edwards) to help solidify the young guys. He seems to be in a similar position in Dallas.

As for age at LB, I could see the Pats signing him and rotating him with Seau and Bruschi (assuming they come back). That is a big concern, as they really need to inject some youth in the back-7 on defense. The Pats have made an offer and are supposedly still negotiating. I think money will be a factor.

!Papacrunk!
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I think Dallas will push hard for him. It makes a lot of sense, because they could use his veteran leadership. Remember, Wade Phillips brought a couple veteran LB to SD (Randall Godfrey and Donnie Edwards) to help solidify the young guys. He seems to be in a similar position in Dallas.

As for age at LB, I could see the Pats signing him and rotating him with Seau and Bruschi (assuming they come back). That is a big concern, as they really need to inject some youth in the back-7 on defense. The Pats have made an offer and are supposedly still negotiating. I think money will be a factor.

I really wonnder if money would be the issue. At this point in his career, Zach has acquired a fairly large amount of wealth I imagine. People like Seau who have already made their millions are willing to take a reduced salary just to play with a contendor--that's the beauty of living off the success of one's team.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I really wonnder if money would be the issue. At this point in his career, Zach has acquired a fairly large amount of wealth I imagine. People like Seau who have already made their millions are willing to take a reduced salary just to play with a contendor--that's the beauty of living off the success of one's team.

I think money is an issue. He can still want a chance to win and take a better contract. If he gets a better deal from Dallas, he probably would feel pretty good about his shot to win, given that they are a good team. Any number of teams give him a shot to win. It would be dumb of him to not explore his options.

All I'm saying is it makes sense for him to visit teams and try to solicit offers. If he is going to put his body on the line, he should get as much as possible. He can limit himself to just contenders and still work out the best deal.

gr8slayer
02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Free agent Zach Thomas is scheduled to visit with the Texans next week.
There won't be many visits during the Combine, which begins Wednesday and goes through February 26. Houston would be a strange landing spot for Thomas, unless Gary Kubiak's coaching staff believes he could play outside.