• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Spygate, the bills, congress and a interesting scenario

Seems that some of the latest news on spygate not only has the Patriots in the crosshairs, but the league as well. If congress moves forward aggressively, like Specter is suggesting, this could prove very difficult for each NFL club.

In the latest ESPN article, the steelers agreed wholeheartedly with the NFL commissioner's handling of the situation. It leaves me thinking that none of the teams want to rock the boat. They know if this goes from Scandal to full blown exposure and dismantling of public trust and interest, these teams aren't going to be worth $1BN a piece. The TV contracts aren't going to keep pouring in.

and in some ways, that'd be absolutely hysterical that Ralph who was waiting for a gigantic payout ended up watching his asset crash and burn in value. And it'll prove the one thing that humans knew from the start of time. Greed ain't good.

Just my ramblings and thoughts on the big picture.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Re: Spygate, the bills, congress and a interesting scenario

So how would that affect the Bills? If Ralph's asset begins to crash and burn, it will be more likely for him to sell the team to the highest bidder, Toronto/LA/wherever. That's not good for us.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
      So how would that affect the Bills? If Ralph's asset begins to crash and burn, it will be more likely for him to sell the team to the highest bidder, Toronto/LA/wherever. That's not good for us.
      i don't know if that's true. It could end up that the highest bidder is suddenly in WNY.

I'd like to see them blow up the anti-trust of the NFL myself. I love the fact that the government is getting involved with these leagues as they rightly should. I'm sick of the little guy being exploited by all the power they have...not it would just be nice if the people in congress had a clue about what us working folk are really dealing with out here.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I want to agree with you, but before I do so I'd like to explore what the consequences are if the NFL no long is exempt from the anti-trust laws.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
          I guess what i'm trying to say that if the scandal revolves around the league and not just the patriots, the actual values of the team will decline. The theory is based on the fact that consumers will feel cheated in a significant way. Not like a boycott where people talk a big game about not following and buying the product and don't follow through.

I'm talking about a genuine lack of interest by a lot of fans where they don't show up for games, they don't renew tickets, TV ratings decline because people simply don't believe it. We pay for all the stuff because we think it's fair. if congress punctures a hole in that facade, i really do see a lot of die hard fans just saying, "it's not worth it. if they artifically make winners out of teams and leave the bills in the doghouse, what's the point of watching?"

All of a sudden, really rich people/corporations who were hoping to score by buying a team and increasing their revenue with more corporate deals and more ticket sales will rethink it. It's kind of a cash intensive investment deal to purchase a team and not a lot of guaranteed return if fans and suites can't be sold on the game.

That means that Ralph's heirs will end up settling for lower cash settlement to get rid of the team, or will have to stick with it to try to right the NFL ship.

I'm clearly extrapolating way into the future and none of these things are guaranteed. I'm just saying that it would be fitting to a league that will close shop on revenue generating teams simply to find more "juice" for their already exobinant revenue base. That is pure and simply greed. And that kind of greed is always repaid in your karma.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Sounds like the same fate of MLB.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

I see your point, but I just honestly don't see this having any negative impact on the NFL in those terms - ticket sales, tv ratings, etc..

Ok, maybe in the Boston area..

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                Will not tolerate vandalism.
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus
                that'd be absolutely hysterical that Ralph who was waiting for a gigantic payout ended up watching his asset crash and burn in value.
                Even if the value of the Buffalo franchise plummets 90%, to $60,000,000... that's still far more than the initial investment ($100 franchise fee IIRC plus first season's equipment, rent and salary) he put into the team.

Originally posted by trapezeus
                In the latest ESPN article, the steelers agreed wholeheartedly with the NFL commissioner's handling of the situation. It leaves me thinking that none of the teams want to rock the boat. They know if this goes from Scandal to full blown exposure and dismantling of public trust and interest, these teams aren't going to be worth $1BN a piece. The TV contracts aren't going to keep pouring in.
                I think you're right. Remember, Pittsburgh won Super Bowl XL on suspicious circumstances... it was one of the most controversial games in recent history. The other factor here is rights fees. It's starting to get to the point where the major networks are losing money on these deals (ABC, for instance). If it starts getting overboard the major networks are going to jump ship, leaving the NFL on their own network, which still won't be seen on very many TV sets, and Fox, because Murdoch is, well, Murdoch.

On a side note, Buffalo is in a good situation-- they're next to the Canadian border. They're one of a select few that could theoretically jump ship immediately to another established league (the CFL) if the NFL crashes and burns, Detroit and perhaps Seattle and Minnesota being the others.

Comment

• raphael120
                  Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                  • Oct 2005

I think this will look mostly bad on the Pats and NFL and less on the other individual, rule abiding teams.

But then again, they might find out someother things about other teams dealin with refs and what not that would blow open the whole thing because no longer would it be a localized problem with just the Pats and the NFL trying to stop the bleeding from that, but it would be having to deal with every single team.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

I don't see it getting that big. I think the NFL will just push the Patriots in front of the bus for this whole situation and make it like they completely acted all on their own and will bury this. There may be a hearing or something and the Patriots will have to pay a big fine, even bigger than before and lose more draft picks. Belichick will be forced into retiring. That will be the end of it.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

I think all of the scrutiny of the NFL, the adverse publicity, and the league wanting to tiptoe gently around Congress, may help the Bills' quest to stay in Buffalo.

After the whole Spygate mess, will the league really want one of its storied, blue collar franchises, one that fills its stadium with rabid fans game after game and year after year, running off to Toronto or LA for bigger bucks?

And to deal with Schumer the way they're dealing with Specter now?
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Its good news for the Bills IMO

With any sort of scandal like this a league re-establishes itself by going back to its core values.

Allowing teams to move to the biggest $$$ which just continue to tarnish the league and the league will want to say we have the fans interests at heart by staying where we are

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          I think all of the scrutiny of the NFL, the adverse publicity, and the league wanting to tiptoe gently around Congress, may help the Bills' quest to stay in Buffalo.

After the whole Spygate mess, will the league really want one of its storied, blue collar franchises, one that fills its stadium with rabid fans game after game and year after year, running off to Toronto or LA for bigger bucks?

And to deal with Schumer the way they're dealing with Specter now?
                          Oh man, I didn't think of that. Good point.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                            Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                            • Dec 2005

I guess congress doesn't have bigger things to worry about. I guess the pats are the only team in the league to steal signs.

Look i hate NE just as much as the next bills fans. But frankly i am sick of this crap. The last thing i need is some congressman whining about something ALL 32 teams do. The pats just got called out by the jets because of BB and Manmorons feud with one and other. This is old news and is frankly not worthy of any time on any news cast much like th clemens hearings which are nothing more then a waste of time.

Do any of you think the Pats or Clemens will come out and say "Yeah we cheated so what and if you don't cheat then your wicked ******ed"? No it will never happen so let this crap die. We got to see the pats loose thier perfect season. We don't have to hear GREATEST TEAM EVER anymore. We got to how much of a sore loser Bellichick is. We got to see the golden boy loose in the super bowl. Who gives a crap.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

A lot of good points made in this thread, and I agree with those who have stated, in general, that the hypothetical situation would be less damaging to Wilson and the Bills than it would for others around the league.

Ralph can't lose, really, unless the value of the franchise drops to zero literally. Those that stand to lose the most are the Krafts, Jones, and Snyders and you can call it karma or whatever you want but it isn't coincidence that the franchise embroiled in the center of the contoversy comes from an owner cut from their cloth.

I hope the other owners of the league are beginning to think the same thoughts you are, trap...If they do, they will endeavor in enough behind the scenes maneuvering to do just about anything to save their own asses. JJ, DS, BK and others may be birds of a feather and best buds at the owners meetings for other issues, but if the financial viability of the league and, by association, each franchise becomes threatened the others will throw Kraft under the bus in a millisecond.

Goodell has already proven he's going to put the hammer down on the players, now he needs to do the same with coaches, owners, etc.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X