PDA

View Full Version : More Draft Logic

Yasgur's Farm
02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
1 - I like WR Malcomb Kelly here as well as WR Bryant Johnson via FA. Our #1 need is skilled big WR's. I wouldn't be depressed if we took OLB Keith Rivers either.

2 - DE Phillip Merling (substitute Calais Campbell) here If he's still around. Our DE's are getting older and shrinking. This may be a bigger need than DT... Otherwise DT Pat Sims would be a great addition.

3a - CB Charles Godfrey brings the size and speed needed for nickle situations. Like WR, we need to get a little speed and size in our secondary... If he's not there I like TE Martin Rucker.

3b - DT Red Bryant would make our rotation formidable. I like John McCargo, Kyle Williams and even Larry Tripplett... My back-up pick here is WR Adarius Bowman.

4 - TE Jermichael Finley is the missing link for this unit. The Bills will keep Robert Royal And Michael Gaines.

5a - DE Chris Harrington. I got a sneaking suspision Aaron Schobel finishes his career at WLB... He's got the right size and speed... He'd make a great pass rushing OLB.

5b - C Jamey Richard. Aside from being a UB guy... Melvin Fowler needs to be replaced within the next 2 seasons.

6 - ILB Ben Moffitt will be the steal of the draft. He'll back up Poz and allow DiGi to move outside to displace Ellison.

7a - OG Shannon Tev age. We need to provide better inside depth than Duke Preston.

7b - OT Breno Giocomini. Kirk Chambers can't be the only answer for depth.

DraftBoy
02-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Why Red Bryant? He does not fit our system which we are not changing. Ive seen a lot of posters talk about him, but I dont see the affinity given the fact that he doesnt fit.

The Jokeman
02-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Why Red Bryant? He does not fit our system which we are not changing. Ive seen a lot of posters talk about him, but I dont see the affinity given the fact that he doesnt fit.
I think most fail to understand that not all DTs are the same. I think many have become enamored with him because he has size and some people equate size to able to stop the run etc. When the truth is we need an athletic NT type and that why is my prior mock had us going with Marcus Harrison but that was before I read about his drug charges so not sure fit in too well especially in the light of Hargrove being suspended for a year.

kernowboy
02-16-2008, 04:12 AM
The more I look at the draft, the more I want to trade down. I think Kelly is a reach at No11 and think we could engineer a trade for teams wanting someone like Derrick Harvey or Brian Brohm and get an extra R2.

I'd trade down and go

R1. LB Dan Connor - upgrade over Ellison, insurance if Crowell leaves. Will tolerate taking DT Pat Sims here

R2a. DT Dre Moore - I think our current ends will be much better with a better DL middle. WLB Erin Henderson is an alternative

R2b. WR Adarius Bowman - I don't think he'll drop to the middle of the 3rd

R3a. TE John Carlson - lets just properly upgrade and hopefully find our Jason Witten

R3b CB Justin King - will be a solid pro

R4 DE/OLB Titus Brown - a little light at the moment but could easily carry another 20lbs

R5a C John Sullivan - slipping a little after a bad Michigan game but still great value

R5b T Kirk Barton - a lack of athleticism hurts his grade but could become a quality RG allowing Butler to move out to RT

R6 WR Taj Smith - because Parrish has a heavy cap figure and this local lad is quick

R7a FB Jed Collins - played a lot of TE, but did really well as a FB well walling off passing rushers and creating holes for the RB

R7b QB Alex Brink

Personally I'd go for Sims in R1. We can make do with Teddy Lehman at LB and draft Sean Lee in 2009 if Crowell leaves.

We should sign Mike Pearson of the Argonauts to backup Peters

I want to see Faine as our big ticket free agent as I think his ability will massively help Edwards development

I'd also like us to give a minimum contract to Mike Williams WR, a Bills childhood fan. At 24, he's young enough to turn it around like Jimmy Smith of the Jaguars did.

Night Train
02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
I just can't see a #2 WR being drafted at #11 overall. You're overpicking/overpaying a positional need, with your #1 WR looking for a new/big contract. Plus WR's take forever to develop, since they're not used to being smashed by pro CB's at the LOS. Solve this in Free Agency with a proven NFL WR, who won't cost nearly as much.

To me, it's about the Bills not having a high enough pick to select true Blue Chip DT's Dorsey or Ellis. Once they are gone, the majority of the talented top 20 talents seem to be positions we don't have needs at.

LB ? Meh. Conner is too thin in the hips and legs. Rivers vanishes for long stretches. Abidi is no bigger than Ellison. I just don't see the impact player there in the 1st round.

TE? No TE is worth a 1st Round pick.

CB is deep and has a couple rare talents in McKelvin of Troy and Cromartie of Tenn. St. - But then the argument of picking a Cover 2 CB that high.

If given the opportunity to trade down, the Bills should take it. I like a lot of players in the middle rounds, like some mentioned above. I just hate to see the Bills reach early in the draft.

kernowboy
02-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Thats why I'm erring towards taking two DTs with our first two picks.

The interior DL is a need. There's not alot apart from journeymen after Williams and both Sims and Moore are big penetrating DTs who can create havoc.

Its not unheard for a team to take two players at the same position early in the draft - The Steelers took Timmons and Woodley in Rounds 1 & 2 last year.

Taking a WR so high almost guarantees he has to play - if we get a big WR with an extra pick having traded down, there is less pressure.

TigerJ
02-16-2008, 12:27 PM
I like the idea of a trade down in round one, but I'm not counting on it.

DraftBoy
02-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I like the idea of a trade down in round one, but I'm not counting on it.

I'd love to trade down say 5-7 spots and whichever of;

Rivers
Connor
Kelly
DRC
Sims
Balmer was left thats all I really would target in Rd 1 to be honest

Yasgur's Farm
02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I'd love to trade down say 5-7 spots and whichever of;

Rivers
Connor
Kelly
DRC
Sims
Balmer was left thats all I really would target in Rd 1 to be honestThat would be a great scenario... But I'm not planning on it.