PDA

View Full Version : My ideal free agency

kernowboy
02-16-2008, 04:34 AM
In a ideal world - or as ideal as its realistically going to be I'd like to see the following happening from the 29th Feb

Jeff Faine, Center. Yes more money in the OL, but Fowler is no more than a back up and getting your center pushed into you is no way to help Trent develop. Aged only 27

Teddy Lehman, LB. Has been injured the last couple of years, but had an awesome rookie season under Dick, can play multiple positions, and is a special teamer. Also regarded as an intelligent and adaptable player. He could keep this place warm for Sean Lee of Penn State in 2009. Age 26.

Outside of Corey Williams the DT available are mediocre so Williams will command huge money. We are better off focusing in the draft here.

Dan Kreidar FB. Sorry but Darian Barnes is now on his 6th NFL team since 2002!! Marshawn needs a bodyguard and even at 31, this guy could be a Sam Gash for us for the next 3 years as well as bring a youngster along.

and now for some wildcards

Mike Pearson LT. Currently with the Argos, but a decent true LT at the Jags before he got injured. He's only 27, but could be quality depth behind Jason. I think we need true LT depth not a swing tackle. If Walker got injured we could always move Butler outside.

Mike Williams WR. Now married, only 24, a Bills childhood fan. Offer him the minimum vet contract, bring him in, get him in shape. It took Jimmy Smith 5 years to get his act together, and who would say no to a 6ft5, 229lbs receiver? All those in FA strike me as being journeymen or not suitable in terms of the big WR we need. Even if we draft Bowman in R2 we still end up with Evans, Bowman, Reed, Parrish and Williams. Thats an awful lot better than last year.

I haven't looked at DEs as I think we have too much invested there already for any big names.

The secondary did well last year and I think we will look to a draft pick in R3 maybe to add some fresh blood

I thought about Crumpler but when a player falls off so badly, does this mean his career has imploded? With Royal, Gaines resigned and a draft pick which MUST happen, I can't see Crumpler coming in

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Mike Williams WR. Now married, only 24, a Bills childhood fan. Offer him the minimum vet contract, bring him in, get him in shape. It took Jimmy Smith 5 years to get his act together, and who would say no to a 6ft5, 229lbs receiver? All those in FA strike me as being journeymen or not suitable in terms of the big WR we need. Even if we draft Bowman in R2 we still end up with Evans, Bowman, Reed, Parrish and Williams. Thats an awful lot better than last year.

Nice work. I would not be opposed to this. I am not a fan of saying a player is like another (your Jimmy Smith example) because of the thousands of examples of guys who don't work out, but I would love for the Bills to give him a shot. It doesn't hurt any. I wouldn't even mind if they gave Charles Rogers a shot. The only problem is that guys like these have had many chances and now all of a sudden they are going to turn it around? There are reasons they keep getting cut or not picked up. I think it would be almost impossible for them to make a succesful comeback.

kernowboy
02-16-2008, 06:45 AM
I guess we could argue that about Teyo Johnson though.

Rogers is a suspension risk but for me, Williams went to a bad situation at the Lions, was traded but then unfairly cut by the Raiders for a dropped pass. At the Titans he's been learning the playbook but you can hardly saying that Young is a WR friendly QB. What makes me think a little that as a childhood Bills fan (self confessed) if he's going to make an effort it will be here.

Likewise with Mike Pearson. Having been released by the Jags he tried out with the Fins (who went with Carney) and then the Texans but has been playing well with the Argos. If Peters got injured I'd have far more faith in a good season continuing with a true LT who knows the system in place rather than trying to stick Chambers or Walker or Butler or even Merz there. LT might be the most important position on the team as its so hard to replace a good one

gr8slayer
02-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Sounds realistic, :goodpost:

jamze132
02-17-2008, 02:39 AM
I don't think Mike Williams has the fire to be an elite NFL receiver.

kernowboy
02-17-2008, 06:03 AM
I don't think Mike Williams has the fire to be an elite NFL receiver.

I'd be happy with a 6ft5, 229lbs WR who just happens to be very good if not elite.

Any player can be fired up if given the right setting. To me, it seems that Williams has not ever been given a real opportunity. Being drafted at 10, you'd expect to start but he's consistently not had the opportunity at the start of his career.

And I think that he now realises that this is his last chance if he wants to be a pro player. For me there is zero risk involved of bringing him into camp. In fact I would say there was more risk in Teyo Johnson.

Confused
02-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Williams is mad slow.

jamze132
02-18-2008, 02:23 AM
I'd be happy with a 6ft5, 229lbs WR who just happens to be very good if not elite.

Any player can be fired up if given the right setting. To me, it seems that Williams has not ever been given a real opportunity. Being drafted at 10, you'd expect to start but he's consistently not had the opportunity at the start of his career.

And I think that he now realises that this is his last chance if he wants to be a pro player. For me there is zero risk involved of bringing him into camp. In fact I would say there was more risk in Teyo Johnson.
I'm not sure a team who is coming off of back to back 7-9 wins and hasn't made the playoffs this millenium is the "right setting".

kernowboy
02-18-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure a team who is coming off of back to back 7-9 wins and hasn't made the playoffs this millenium is the "right setting".

What I mean by the right setting is playing for a team you supported. If that doesn't motivate someone, then nothing ever will