PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Specter: Goodell's Spygate explanations don't pass scrutiny

YardRat
02-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Forked from: Specter: Goodell's Spygate explanations don't pass scrutiny (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2329682)

I think this all one big joke and a total waste of tax payer dollars.

Roger Goodell is a pro Buffalo commissioner, so losing him actually hurts us.

He destroyed the tapes to avoid further scrutiny because no matter what he did to resolve the issue it wouldn't have been right.

He also was protecting the integity of the league which I support.

Sometimes the IQ on this board is disturbing.

I'd appreciate it if someone would explain how destroying evidence and possibly covering up further transgressions by the Patriot's organization regarding cheating destroys the integrity of the league.

gr8slayer
02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I was fine with all of this after the Jets game, one game, two games, whatever. But now that there are multiple people coming out and saying that they not only can attest that the Patriots were cheating before then but have evidence of the cheating I'm pissed off. Add to that the fact that it appears our commissioner is in on it by destroying evidence and this could get ugly real quick. I personally still think congress should be worrying about the 74,000 people who just got laid off in Detroit or the war in Iraq but it will all be worth it if they can pin those ****ers.

YardRat
02-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I expected more responses....kind of.

hydro
02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Its a saturday. Not many zoners on :idunno:

Meathead
02-16-2008, 04:29 PM
i didnt understand your question

hurricane said PROTECTS the integrity of the league

but you said DESTROYS (ie damages) the integrity of the league

of course destroying the tapes in such a rush would damage the integrity of the league because its getting rid of evidence in a manner that strongly suggests they just wanted to get rid of the problem before it could do more damage instead of handling it properly

perhaps you meant to ask why destroying the tapes would PROTECT the integrity of the league. if so then i would say it could only do that if nobody questioned it further. but in actuality if anybody pushed back, which spector did, then it could cast a pall on the integrity of the league for the reason i stated that it appears to be a coverup. and if this walsh guy indeed does have tapes of the cheats taping superbowl practices against the rules then it could explode into a scandal of epic proportions. of course that would have happened whether or not they destroyed the tapes prematurely but doing so only makes it appear more strongly like they tried to cover it up

so which is it

YardRat
02-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Protect/destroy, attack/defend, patriot/terrorist....It's all the same thing it just depends on who's writing the history book.

Just be quiet and play along.

dplus47
02-16-2008, 10:12 PM
i agree with meathead. goodell's actions did nothing for the league but damage its integrity. had he been forthright and honest about a real investigation, no matter how many teams that investigation might implicate, the league would be demonstrating integrity by trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

by trying to cover up the problem, goodell may have been attempting to protect the perceived integrity of the league, but he was doing nothing to protect its actual integrity.

goodell should be smarter than that. this is not an age where you can just destroy information and keep it from the public. the information you're trying to hide just sprouts up everywhere. has the man been ignoring u.s. politics for the last 40 years?

we have left the age where controlling information = power. the flow of information is now virtually uncontrollable; it becomes less controllable every day. power now is about what you do with the information you have.

unfortunately, most people in positions of leadership are still playing by the old rules. for example, goodell has proven he would be a great NFL commissioner if it were still 1956.

Meathead
02-17-2008, 06:25 AM
as soon as i heard they destroyed the tapes i was like wtf, already? seemed waay early to me. but frankly at the time i didnt consider it a coverup because i dont think that way. i figured they were just a few scraggly tapes that hardly got used. then all of the other stuff started to come out and when i thought about it more i realized the magnitude of what had happened. im just glad spector is following up on it because for a while there it looked like the cheats were going to get the george bush treatment - we arent going to call you on it because we are too embarrassed we let you get away with it in the first place

YardRat
02-17-2008, 06:31 AM
He should have saved the tapes, and used them for the Honesty Seminar at the next owner's meetings.

http://www.weirdspace.dk/SouthPark/Graphics/Mackey.jpg

"Cheating is bad....mmm kay?"