PDA

View Full Version : Bills Negotiating with Gary

Romes
04-08-2003, 03:58 PM
http://www.wnsafm.com/billsreport.shtml

An NFL source has confirmed that the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions are in a two-team race for the services of unrestricted free agent running back Olandis Gary. Negotiations have begun with both teams. Jacksonville remains a distant third in the running for Gary as they are waiting to see how the negotiations play out before deciding whether to enter the bidding. Gary has not visited the Jaguars as of yet.

So, its between us and the Lions. I think we have a pretty good shot at him, since we are closer to the Super Bowl than the Lions. I would love to have him here. As his arrival would fill another depth need.

LtBillsFan66
04-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Great move for depth!

simpletask400
04-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Didn't the Lions just sign Bryson?

Why would are they going after Gary?

Ebenezer
04-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Not only that TD doesn't get into bidding wars...interesting...

HenryRules
04-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Are the Lions going for an all-injury backfield??

Maybe they'll see if Jamal Anderson wants to play too.

RedEyE
04-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Bryson's knee is still bothering him. He is holding out of Spring Training Camp to completely recover. I think that the Lions are second guessing their decision and want Gary in case Bryson goes down and we all know how fragile James Stewart is. Gary has better opportunity to seal a secondary roll with the Bills. The Lions will force him to really compete for second spot unless Bryson never recovers. I honestly don't care if he comes or not. I like our current RB squad, but if Gary makes the choice to come to Buffalo I won't be disappointed. The offseason competition for Henry can only prove positive results.

Billsouth
04-08-2003, 07:09 PM
im not a pessimist but i highly doubt that we will sign gary. think about it: gary has wanted to be a number 1 back ever since his break out year a few years ago. the lions have bryson and stewart as their backs and stewart will likely be cut. gary has a great opportunity to start and therefore detroit will probably be willing and able to pay him a good buck.

in buffalo not only will he be second string, but TD is not going to overpay for a back-up. therefore, he will end up making more and playing more in detroit.

Brian H
04-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Gary was in Detroit yesterday!

Stewie
04-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Didn't he say he'd be happy if he got 30% of the snaps? I think that number would be too high for TH's backup - hopefully they play TH as a 3 down back this year. So.. would he be a negative force in the locker room if he doesn't get to play?

ublinkwescore
04-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Love the Sig Paul B - I hate Baseball too - Baseball, Golf, Tennis, soccer, and basketball should be illegal to televise on TV.

Only football and hockey should be allowed to be televised.

While I'm talking about hockey - the rest of my hockey gear comes in tomorrow just in time for me to go play at the local rink - needless to say, I can't wait.

I'm gonna suck at hockey for a little while since I haven't played in so long (like 6 years - i've borrowed some ambition from a friend recently). But once I get coordinated at the sport again, I'm incredibly hard to get the best of when you check me, and I'm pretty damn good at being a puck hog - if I don't want to lose the puck, I'm not gonna part with it - unless you put like 3 or 4 people on me - then conventional wisdom says pass it.

Sorry for babbling on - I'm just so damn excited, I can't wait - I'm not gonna be able to sleep too good tonight.

Earthquake Enyart
04-09-2003, 07:21 AM
If Gary comes here and stays healthy, he's the starting HB by week 10.

Pride
04-09-2003, 07:34 AM
I believe that Gary said he would be happy with the 30% of the carries or workload. I dont see him getting over 25% of the workload. Then again, that could rise quickly if TH were to get injured.

I like TH as our starter, and I think they are alot alike. Both power backs, maybe TH a little more power though.

I am all for signing him, as long as noone is telling him that "RB is wide open this year". If he knows and desires to be a #2, he would be a great addition. Kenny Davis from the early 90's was the reason we were in 3 of those 4 SB's. He was a little more of a power back that Thomas. And Thurmas was not afraid to take a breather, knowing he trusted Davis to do well off the bench.

Earthquake Enyart
04-09-2003, 07:38 AM
Gary runs as hard as TH and he doesn't fumble.

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Are you calling for an open competition at RB, EE?

Earthquake Enyart
04-09-2003, 10:53 AM
I can't remember which game Henry was benched after his second or third fumble in favor of Bryson. If Gary was here to take over, TH wouldn't see the field again for quite a while.

BillsFanInMass
04-09-2003, 11:06 AM
What are You nuts Henry is way better than Gary. Henry will shake the fumbling problem and hes got the speed , the moves , the power and the best damn stiff arm ive ever seen he can bench like 500+ lbs. With a good defense he will get way more carries and have way more than his 1400 last season on a team who threw mostly in the second half. Go back to the film room EE.

TacklingDummy
04-09-2003, 11:06 AM
I'd love to see Gary in a Bills uniform, He's a better Running Back then Henry,period.

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2003, 11:14 AM
"If Gary comes here and stays healthy, he's the starting HB by week 10."

"Gary runs as hard as TH and he doesn't fumble"

I disagree with you EE. Gary may not fumble as much but that is about it.

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2003, 11:16 AM
"I'd love to see Gary in a Bills uniform, He's a better Running Back then Henry,period."

You are joking right?

Tatonka
04-09-2003, 11:24 AM
this thread as gone into a drastic downward spiral...

gary is not being brought in to replace henry.. he is being brought in to spell him..

get the rest of your thoughts out of your head.

Earthquake Enyart
04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
That's what they told Wally Pipp.

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
What are You nuts Henry is way better than Gary. Henry will shake the fumbling problem and hes got the speed , the moves , the power and the best damn stiff arm ive ever seen he can bench like 500+ lbs. With a good defense he will get way more carries and have way more than his 1400 last season on a team who threw mostly in the second half. Go back to the film room EE.
Henry doesn't bench 500+lbs. Come on where's the prove? I doubt many players in the league can bench that much. Who's the buffest in the league anyway? Michael Pittman and Alstott both look pretty damn big.

Tatonka
04-09-2003, 12:29 PM
henry most certainly does bench 500lbs.. i specifically remember reading that last year, and remember the announcers commenting on it when he delivered another crushing stiff arm that left someone flailing in the air..

as far as gary.. i am beginning to doubt he will be here.. TD doesnt like bidding wars.. he has submitted a contract proposal to gary..

gary is waiting to hear from the lion on their offer.. and dallas and KC both just jumped into the mix.. this is all per kffl.

The Spaz
04-09-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure Henry benches 500 but I do remember hearing 1 time at least 465 so that's still up there. Go Bills!

Bulldog
04-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Henry doesn't bench 500+lbs. Come on where's the prove? I doubt many players in the league can bench that much. Who's the buffest in the league anyway? Michael Pittman and Alstott both look pretty damn big.

I bet you there are alot more who can than you think. I know for a fact the A. Zerowe (sp), the running back for Pittsburgh, can.

The Natrix
04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I heard somewhere around 465 as well. No way would Gary replace Henry for anything other than an injury and please put down the crack pipe TDummy.

I'm thinking that Gary will sign with the Lions where he has a shot at the #1 spot, but I am definitely not ruling out Buffalo.

I would love for him to sign here. With the backups on the current roster, the Bills offense would be hard pressed to be able to function if Henry were to go down, especially since Drew Bledose time and time again has proved that he cannot carry an offense.

With the departure of Price and the fact that Drew Bledsoe WILL have some pitiful performances, it is essential that this team does not rely on the health of a single running back.

Tatonka
04-09-2003, 02:33 PM
i just remembered were i heard that henry benched 500 last time.. it was in the pro bowl.. anyone remember them talking about that after he stiff armed someone?

4thAndLong
04-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Doesn't Larry Chester?

Henry is a much better back than Gary, I like Gary, but only as a back-up.

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i just remembered were i heard that henry benched 500 last time.. it was in the pro bowl.. anyone remember them talking about that after he stiff armed someone?
Holy crap I probably couldn't bench 1/3 of that. That's like benching a motorcycle.

Throne Logic
04-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Who cares if they bench 500 lbs? Anything over 350-400 is probably sufficient for an RB, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, Gary couldn't stay healthy enough to be the starter. He knows this. His interviews had him saying he'd be happy as the backup. That actually concerns me a bit, unless he just wants a spot on a decent team.

Henry has the Starter's spot. If he fixes his fumbling issues, this will be a completely moot point.

Tatonka
04-09-2003, 04:48 PM
i had a buddy that i was very close with all through highschool.. Kirk... he was the best LB on our football team.. one of the best athletes on our team really.. pretty boy.. yadda yadda

in 10th grade, after football season ended, we joined track.. he did the high jump and hurdles, i did the shotput and long jump.

there was a running back on our football team named Keela. he was awesome too.. as a joke.. he thought it would be funny to yank the mat out from under kirk while he was doing the highjump.. kirk landed on his back funny and popped a disk. had to have surgery.. football career over..

during his rehab he had to do some pretty intesive workouts to strengthen his back again.. so he became a serious workout freak...

now, kirk was always strong and cut.. he probably benched about 275 in 10th grade, which was strong for a guy that weighed 210 at about 6'0".

after the injury, he became obsessed.. by the time we graduated highschool.. he was benching about 375.

i left for virginia for college, and he stayed in dallas. i went home to visit, and man.. the guy blew up.. he was about 220lbs.. but he looked like an icecream cone.. 28 inch waist, huge shoulders and chest.. he claimed at that point, he was benching 525 as a max... now your talking about one of my closest friends.. i believe him.. he went on to get a masters in physical therapy, and does that for a living now.. he doesnt work out like he used to, but still has a physicque like we all dream of.. and he said he never got higher than that. so i know it can be done.

obviously henry is a world class athlete.. so it doesnt surprise me at all.

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2003, 06:57 PM
I just don't understand how someone could say that Gary who's best season was 1,159 yards and 7 td 4 years ago in 99 could be better than Henry who had 1,400+ yards and 10 tds LAST YEAR, and hasn't torn his knee twice. Don't get me wrong I would like Gary for a backup but there is no way that he is a better rb than Henry.

Tatonka
04-09-2003, 07:48 PM
EE gets high alot i think thurm :snicker:

TacklingDummy
04-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Henry has fumbled 16 times in 2 years and his career longest rush is 34 yards.

Not only does Gary have break away speed, with career long rush of 72 yards, he only fumbled 2 times in 30 games.

A healthy Gary vs. a Healthy Henry would be very interesting. I wouldn't just give Henry the #1 spot.

4thAndLong
04-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
Henry has fumbled 16 times in 2 years and his career longest rush is 34 yards.

Not only does Gary have break away speed, with career long rush of 72 yards, he only fumbled 2 times in 30 games.

A healthy Gary vs. a Healthy Henry would be very interesting. I wouldn't just give Henry the #1 spot.

Henry isn't a runner that will explode like that. He's a hard-nosed runner that'll ware Ds out.

You said it...A healthy Gary. He has had problems staying healthy.

TacklingDummy
04-09-2003, 11:10 PM
If Gary got hurt we always have Henry to come in as his replacement.

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Again I will state:

"I just don't understand how someone could say that Gary who's best season was 1,159 yards and 7 td 4 years ago in 99 could be better than Henry who had 1,400+ yards and 10 tds LAST YEAR, and hasn't torn his knee twice. Don't get me wrong I would like Gary for a backup but there is no way that he is a better rb than Henry."

You are right tatonka EE does like that wacky stuff!

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2003, 11:28 PM
And again his 72 yard run was 4 years ago! He has done nothing over the last 3 years partly due to injury, partly because he was beat out by anderson and Davis. Henry is a power back. He bangs away at defenses and wears them down.

The Spaz
04-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Drugs are bad, haven't you heard!:)Go Bills!

Earthquake Enyart
04-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Again I will state:

"I just don't understand how someone could say that Gary who's best season was 1,159 yards and 7 td 4 years ago in 99 could be better than Henry who had 1,400+ yards and 10 tds LAST YEAR, and hasn't torn his knee twice. Don't get me wrong I would like Gary for a backup but there is no way that he is a better rb than Henry."

You are right tatonka EE does like that wacky stuff!

Hey! What's with the cheap shots at me pal?

TT :chair: EE

I think Gary runs a lot like TH but without all the fumbles.

Fat Tony
04-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Saying Gary Fumbled twice in 30 games is very misleading. Did he start those games? How many carries?

Whats his fumble to carry ratio?

Gary would be an excellent backup. I don't think he's going to blow away Henry in preseason enough to win the staring job.

TedMock
04-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Gary has more speed than Henry no doubt about it but Henry's more of a pounder than Gary. They'd compliment eachother well but I'd say Henry is the better back provided he cuts back on the fumbles. Don't forget that Gary played in Denver's offense. Everybody gets 1,000 yards in Denver. Mike Anderson ran for 1,000 yards the year after Gary did. I think Clinton Portis is the real deal as was TD before the injuries. Gary and Anderson are excellent back ups which is why they both re-upped their contracts to stay as backups. I give them credit for doing it too. I think Gary's better than Anderson and could be more than a backup but he's not the full time starter type either. 5-10 carries as a faster back than Henry would be ideal to change things up during the game. Henry definitely cannot fumble 8 times this year though. That'll haunt him forever if he doesn't stop it now.

Tatonka
04-10-2003, 10:11 AM
in regards to the denver offense.. portis got 1500 yards without starting until week 6..

gary got 1100.. on a better denver offense

and i think if you put henry in denvers offense.. he would easily surpass 1500yards

THATHURMANATOR
04-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Sorry EE just jokin man!

The Spaz
04-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Did Gary ever go to the Probowl I don't think so! We need to get off this notion of him starting over Henry it's absolutely ridiculous. Go Bills!

THATHURMANATOR
04-10-2003, 02:13 PM
I agree with Spaz on this one!

SoCalBillsFan
04-10-2003, 02:32 PM
i dont understand why adding another good RB could be a bad thing.

worried he'll start over henry? if that's the case, then we'd have RB BETTER than henry starting! yeah, that would suck....

I dont get it. Believe me I dont think he'll take the starting job, but it is ESSENTIAL to have a solid backup RB in the NFL today

TacklingDummy
04-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Did Gary ever go to the Probowl I don't think so! We need to get off this notion of him starting over Henry it's absolutely ridiculous. Go Bills!

Has Henry?

4thAndLong
04-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy

Has Henry?

Yeah.

The Spaz
04-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Yeah Henry went last year and he even scored a TD you must have a short memory span!:) Go Bills!

THATHURMANATOR
04-10-2003, 09:08 PM
I do want Gary socal but I am saying that Henry is a better RB. Yes Henry scored a TD in the probowl this year on a pass from Gannon.

BroncosFreak
04-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
in regards to the denver offense.. portis got 1500 yards without starting until week 6..

gary got 1100.. on a better denver offense

and i think if you put henry in denvers offense.. he would easily surpass 1500yards

Portis actually started week 5, and already had some carries before that. Gary first started on week 5 in '99 as well, but didn't have much prior to that. Regardless, Portis is the better back -- that's why Denver is keeping him.

I love Gary. He's shown flashes of being a great RB. However, he hasn't shown much since he tore his ACL. He seems to be content in a backup role, and never really complained about being a backup. I don't see him beating out Henry, but he could be a very capable backup.

SoCalBillsFan
04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I do want Gary socal but I am saying that Henry is a better RB.

well hell yeah he is :)

Throne Logic
04-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Jeeze, there must be a lull in the off-season action. What with this discussion. . .

Quick, TD! Sign another pro-bowler to keep the fans entertained!

Throne Logic
04-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Poor TD. He's going to get torn a new one next year by the fan base when he doesn't sign at least 8 or 9 future Hall-Of-Fame players who are currently in their prime.

Tatonka
04-10-2003, 11:02 PM
thanks for the clarification broncosfreak.

Earthquake Enyart
04-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Jeeze, there must be a lull in the off-season action. What with this discussion. . .

Quick, TD! Sign another pro-bowler to keep the fans entertained!

Why do you think I keep talking up Gary? :snicker:

I'm bored too. :eek: