PDA

View Full Version : What about rod coleman?

Mitchell55
02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
He is great at sacking the QB and he probably wouldnt be much to get. He would fit here and is a good size player. We need a DT and he would be the perfect fit.

kernowboy
02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
He's 31 ... his sack totals have dropped and dropped and dropped

What he'll cost is the opportunity to develop a youngster who has the chance to get better

Why are we trying to turn Ralph Wilson stadium into a retirement home?

gr8slayer
02-16-2008, 02:51 PM
:meh: maybe....

Oaf
02-16-2008, 03:18 PM
He's 31 ... his sack totals have dropped and dropped and dropped

What he'll cost is the opportunity to develop a youngster who has the chance to get better

Why are we trying to turn Ralph Wilson stadium into a retirement home?
Not that bad of an idea. We have one of the greenest teams in the league. Signing one guy over 30 doesn't mean we're starting an old people's home. It would be a "meh" signing to me.

jamze132
02-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Not that bad of an idea. We have one of the greenest teams in the league. Signing one guy over 30 doesn't mean we're starting an old people's home. It would be a "meh" signing to me.
I think what he meant is that their have been a lot of ideas from other posters on here that involve bringing in veterans on the wrong side of 30. Obviously it is all coincidental but funny nonetheless.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Normally, I dismiss the suggestions that a lot of people here post about the Bills picking up this or that better-known, older, veteran player who has been cut by one of the other teams in the NFL--but, in this case, I would not dismiss the suggestion out of hand because the Bills had, in fact, recently expressed an interest in acquiring Rod Coleman.

During the 2006 season, when the Bills were considering bringing in Corey Simon and, then, their proposed deal with Tampa Bay to acquire Anthony "Booger" McFarland was trumped by Indy at the last minute (at the time it was reported that, the Bills were upset with the Bucs because while they were negotiating a deal with the Bucs for McFarland and thought that a deal was imminent, Indy stepped in and made a better offer for McFarland that the Bucs did not give them a chance to match or better), they also made inquiries about Rod Coleman as well. I remember reading somewhere that Atlanta really didn't want to trade Coleman at the time and basically rebuffed the Bills by asking for more, in terms of draft picks, than the Bills were willing or could afford to give up (I don't recall exactly what they wanted, but I do remember thinking at the time that it was a lot--too much).

Even though we're more than a year and a half down the road and Coleman is now on the wrong side of 30, if the Bills were interested enough in Coleman to talk with Atlanta about trading for him then, I have to think that he's still on their "radar screen" and they have to at least be considering the possibility of bringing him in: he has been successful playing in their system and, even though he is over 30, DTs tend to take longer to develop coming out of college, but also tend to be able to play well longer and later into their 30s as well (and being in the Bills rotational system would certainly help an older player to keep his level of play up during games).

Whether they do end up bringing him in will likely depend on a number of factors. Coleman has played pretty much all of his careerin the South, would he want to come to play in a place as cold as Buffalo? Coleman was relatively well-paid for a DT in Atlanta, what kind of money is he going to be looking to get--is he looking to be a starter and get starter's money, etc.? Given the number of teams around the league that play the Tampa 2 defense, there will likely to be several teams for an upgrade at the 1-tech DT spot who may be interested enough in Coleman to offer him considerably more than the Bills could offer (St.Louis (as well as Minny and Detroit) plays in a dome--which might be attractive; TB, a playoff team in the South, may want him back; Indy could offer the chance to win a ring as well as playing in a dome; etc.). In addition to whether Coleman would be interested in playing in Buffalo and how much money it would take to sign him, the Bills would also have to consider the effect that having him in their DT rotation would have on the other DTs that they have on the roster (they would have to move McCargo to the 3-tech spot, with Coleman and K.Williams at the 1-tech spot, etc.) and how much of their salary cap they can afford to have invested in the DT spot (and whether Coleman's production would be worth what it would cost in those terms), etc. And, then, they would have to be able to get a deal done with his agent....

But, unlike a lot of possible signings that get proposed here, the idea that the Bills might be interested and helped by signing Rod Coleman is not a bad one at all. Based on their previous interest in him, this is one more well-known player who has hit the market that I would not at all be surprised to see the Bills pursue vigorously and, perhaps, even sign.

Personally, I think Coleman is a player who can help the Bills immediately (I like the idea of McCargo and Tripplett rotating at one DT position and Coleman and K.Williams rotating at the other) and allow them to use a mid-round draft pick (3rd or 4th Round) on a young DT (Bryant, Laws, Rubin, etc.) that they can give a year (Tripplett's contract should be up soon!) or two to develop so that they do not have to depend on a rookie coming in next season to shore up the middle of their defensive line (it takes time for DTs to develop and only the very top prospects are really ever able to have any kind of impact their rookie seasons). If he's willing to come to Buffalo for a reasonable price, I would try to sign him if I were the Bills--I could see him giving the Bills 3-4 good seasons in their DT rotation (all I think it would be reasonable to expect would be 3 years and I'd bne happy with that).

kernowboy
02-17-2008, 04:49 AM
The big problem with Coleman is I think he has shot his bolt

His performance has fallen off considerably from a couple of pro-bowl years and he is another small DT of under 300lbs. In 18 months, Kyle Williams and John McCargo have shown some progress.

DT are very hard to find especially quality ones. I mean the big 310lbs guys who can run sub 5.0.

There always seems to be lots of quality WRs in every draft, and also a range of decent DEs, OLs, LBs and CBs. Skill positions like QB, and RB are tougher but not a requirement.

Picking up someone like Coleman, might make us think we can avoid a DT high in this draft and whilst we might fight find a Williams we could lumber ourselves with Tim Anderson Mk2.

The likes of Sims, Balmer, and Moore will be available to us with manovering in the draft. Bryant and Rubin appear pure NTs with little pass rushing ability, Laws is another undersized guy. Okam could be another Rodrique Wright. We need to stop messing about and get some big yet agile bulk in the middle that know where the backfield is and we need to do this with the top candidates not pray and hope. That is why I am opposed to draft a WR at 11. We could easily find someone at 57 and have a decent choice to.

The only reasonably priced FA Defensive Tackle we ought to be considering is Randy Starks who at 6ft3 and 312lbs has the size and at 24 could become a fixture with 4 seasons under his belt in the NFL already.

colin
02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
if he can be motivated he can be great.

older guys can bang in the middle if they are on the right team.

if we add him, l. coles, and draft a DE/DT and WR/and or TE in the first 3 we will have cap room for a stud like briggs or whoever at OLB and have the right number of vets for our team.

guys, our team has a real shot at upgrading this season.