Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Belichick breaks silence on 'Spygate'

+ By Mike Reiss
    Globe Staff / February 17, 2008

FOXBOROUGH — Patriots coach Bill Belichick and vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli broke their silence regarding taping procedures and suggestions of improper conduct from former employee Matt Walsh, with Belichick saying he ‘‘couldn’t pick Matt Walsh out of a lineup’’ and Pioli noting that part of the reason for Walsh’s firing was because of him secretly tape recording conversations.

Since the days leading up to Super Bowl XLII when Senator Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania Republican, questioned the NFL’s destruction of tapes that resulted in record fines against Belichick and the Patriots, the club’s taping procedures — and Walsh’s potential role in them — have ignited a public firestorm.
    The Boston Herald, citing an anonymous source, reported Feb. 2 that the Patriots had taped the Rams’ walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. The Patriots and NFL strongly denied that story, and Belichick further addressed it Sunday.
    ‘‘In my entire coaching career, I’ve never seen another team’s practice film prior to playing that team,’’ he said. ‘‘I have never authorized, or heard of, or even seen in any way, shape, or form any other team’s walkthrough. We don’t even film our own. We don’t even want to see ourselves do anything, that’s the pace that it’s at. Regardless, I’ve never been a part of that.’’

• Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Belichick breaks silence on 'Spygate'

I never knew, it wasn't me, this guy is a proven cheat and a liar. I personally hope that he gets charged with a crime. Put him in front of congress and make him repeat this in a sworn statement to the bog boys and bring on the proof to bury him.

BB in Jail would bring me great pleasure.

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

I hope this gets very ugly.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
        + By Mike Reiss
        Globe Staff / February 17, 2008

...with Belichick saying he ‘‘couldn’t pick Matt Walsh out of a lineup’’
        you've got to be kidding...the guy is a "genius" and he doesn't remember people? I hope Walsh has tapes and documentation.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BSXIII
          Never trust a man wearing a sombrero
          • Apr 2004

Sorry guys, but I really don't think Matt Walsh has anything significant on the Patriots. That organization has pissed off and burnt bridges with so many former star players and coaches this decade. Bellicheck has been about as cut throat as they come, and there are plenty of people with an axe to grind against him, who would have a lot more insight on this stuff than this video assistant.

This Walsh clown had an entry level position, the same as about 15 other guys, thats it. The league has promised to cover his ass under one condition, he does not lie. An offer he refuses to take.

He's got nothing.
          I'm a long time lurker

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

I would laugh my ass off if Walsh has the tape of the Rams practice.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              I would laugh my ass off if Walsh has the tape of the Rams practice.
              that won't indicate that he was "told" to do it...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I am sure they are covering their tails so if Walsh has the video tapes they can play dumb and say they had no knowledge of the tape.

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

The ignorant snooty sports reporters (Pats fans) on my local news channel were saying things like, "Frivolous lawsuits." and "Specter is an Eagles fan and that's the only reason he's questioning this."

I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

Sorry naysayers but this Walsh guy DOES have something. Pioli even said he was fired because he recorded conversations and whatnot. Do you think those conversations might be even more damning to the Patriots organization? The guy won't take the NFL's deal because he knows they're going to want him to lie in favor of the league in order to put an end to the scandal.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Walsh isn't terribly credible, just a low-level guy they fired, but eventually his story will come out.

There is nothing new to Spygate. The Pats were caught and punished, and that was all there is to it. There are all sorts of rumors and such about them doing this thing or that, but there isn't an ounce of evidence that anything more than what was already discussed has occurred.

Walsh will eventually tell his story, and it will be nothing much. I realize you guys are all excited by the possibilities, but this story has been blown so far out of proportion.

Comment

• Mike13
                        • Aug 2005

In my entire coaching career, I’ve never seen another team’s practice film prior to playing that team,’’ he said. ‘‘I have never authorized, or heard of, or even seen in any way, shape, or form any other team’s walkthrough. We don’t even film our own. We don’t even want to see ourselves do anything, that’s the pace that it’s at. Regardless, I’ve never been a part of that.’’
                        Really? Yet you admitted to Goodell that you have been taping teams since 2000.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by BSXIII
                          The league has promised to cover his ass under one condition, he does not lie. An offer he refuses to take.
                          The reason he doesn't take that offer is because of the loophole that exists, the "he does not lie" part. Obviously it's not because he intends to lie, but because if the league doesn't like anything he says, they can count it as a lie and expose him to a mountain of legal actions. He then would be stuck with the burden of proof of his truthfulness, making him the defendent instead of the plaintiff.

That, is what he refuses to do.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                            Walsh isn't terribly credible, just a low-level guy they fired, but eventually his story will come out.

There is nothing new to Spygate. The Pats were caught and punished, and that was all there is to it. There are all sorts of rumors and such about them doing this thing or that, but there isn't an ounce of evidence that anything more than what was already discussed has occurred.

Walsh will eventually tell his story, and it will be nothing much. I realize you guys are all excited by the possibilities, but this story has been blown so far out of proportion.
                            Denial is a lonely place.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
                              Denial is a lonely place.
                              Obviously, it is an impossible subject to discuss with you guys, because you want to believe so bad. However, the facts are the facts, and in the end this will be much about nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X