PDA

View Full Version : Get a DL like Allen in FA, draft the WR!!

HHURRICANE
02-18-2008, 08:02 AM
The WR crop in FA is not very good. However, there are many young FA for the DL and we should look to sign one in FA:

Jared Allen, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs

Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Justin Smith, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens

Corey Williams, UFA, Green Bay Packers

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 08:13 AM
He's getting the tag, as are Suggs and Haynesworth.

Smith will end up in Pittsburgh and Williams likely isn't realistic either.

Also, with as much money as we have invested in our DE's you can eliminate Allen, Smith, and Suggs before we even start talking about tags.

jamze132
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
He's getting the tag, as are Suggs and Haynesworth.

Smith will end up in Pittsburgh and Williams likely isn't realistic either.

Also, with as much money as we have invested in our DE's you can eliminate Allen, Smith, and Suggs before we even start talking about tags.
Agreed. Our best bet is to look to the draft for a DE. 2nd round will do if we can get a nice WR in RD1. I would take a good look at FA as far as TEs go though.

streetkings01
02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
If we were to sign J. Allen we would have the largest payroll in the history of the NFL at the DE position. 2/3 of our cap would go into the DE position since Allen will be getting a contract similar to Schobels.

HHURRICANE
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Sadly, the Schobel re-signing has yet again hand tied us into being able to do nothing.

I would rather have a 25 year old monster that a 31 year old has-been.

Devin
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Smith is the only player on that list that wont get tagged.

DraftBoy
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Smith is the only player on that list that wont get tagged.

You hear Williams is getting tagged?

streetkings01
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
You hear Williams is getting tagged?No way he gets tagged with Jenkins, Pickett, and Harrell on the roster.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Sadly, the Schobel re-signing has yet again hand tied us into being able to do nothing.

I would rather have a 25 year old monster that a 31 year old has-been.

Aaron Schobel has very little to do with this, but since you brought up his contract, I'd rather pay him $7.14 million per season (on average) than Chris Kelsay $5.75 million per; if you want to assign blame or complete lack of short- and far- sightedness, that's where it lies for us being fiscally constrained at the position. I was an advocate of letting someone else overpay for Kelsay last year; I never wanted it to be us.

As far as Jared Allen goes, he's not a feasible option. First of all, he will not be paid like Aaron Schobel; after 15.5 sacks last year in a mere 14 games- on top of three previously productive seasons- he will receive a contract more along the lines of Dwight Freeney's (6 years, $72 million) than Aaron Schobel's (7 years, $50 million). Secondly, he will be tagged. Depending on which tag he receives, either no team can sign him to a contract OR he can be signed to a contract but that team has to forfeit two 1st-round picks to Kansas City (on top of the massive contract that team has to pay Allen). Sorry, Buffalo won't be doing that.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-18-2008, 06:53 PM
POSTED 7:39 p.m. EST, February 18, 2008

CHIEFS TAG ALLEN

The Kansas City Chiefs have placed the franchise tag on defensive end Jared Allen, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Allen, a four-year veteran, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. Last year, the Chiefs limited Allen's movement as a restricted free agent with the highest possible tender, which would have required any team signing Allen to come up with a first-round pick and a third-round pick as compensation.

It's unclear whether the Chiefs used the exclusive or non-exclusive version of the tag on Allen. Under the exclusive version, the tender will be higher, but he will not be allowed to negotiate with other teams.

Allen is generally regarded as one of the best defensive linemen in the game. But a history of drinking and driving likely will give other potential suitors pause.

YardRat
02-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't like the restrictions a team would put on itself with a philosophy of 'we're going to get X in FA, then we'll be able to draft Y in the first'. If you've got needs, attempt to address them with both if the opportunity presents itself.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if the Bills signed a WR or DT and then also used #1 for the same position if that player is BPA.

gr8slayer
02-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't like the restrictions a team would put on itself with a philosophy of 'we're going to get X in FA, then we'll be able to draft Y in the first'. If you've got needs, attempt to address them with both if the opportunity presents itself.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if the Bills signed a WR or DT and then also used #1 for the same position if that player is BPA.
I agree 100%

Devin
02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
You hear Williams is getting tagged?

lol yeah!