PDA

View Full Version : Do We Trade Down?

raphael120
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
How bout this scenario?

We trade down to the 20's...if Dan Connor is still there, nab him and in the 2nd we get best WR available (Sweed?) and trade our now 1 of 3 third round picks (and a fourth rounder) to get back UP into 2nd round and get best TE available. Next round we have 2 3rds. We can get a CB and a DT. Then in the next few rounds get best player available.

So not only do we address our LB's big time and get another stud LB that will form a bad ass Penn State LB tendem in Poz/Connor that will solidify our LB corps for years to come, but we also address the WR and TE situation, get a CB and DT that may work out in the 3rd round.

So trading down, in essence, we get 3-4 instant contributors to our lineup.

That's big.

kernowboy
02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Like the thinking, but whether we pick up Connor or Rivers and assuming Poz starts, that leaves us massively inexperienced in the linebackers.

Taking into account your approach

Trade down to the 20s and pick Pat Sims, a big penetrating DT (6ft4, 316lbs, 4.92)

Continue to fix the interior DL in R2 by drafting Dre Moore, (6ft4, 307lbs, 4.82)

We fix our interior DL for next 5 years

Take a 3rd and a 4th and trade back up into the 2nd to pick up Adarius Bowman

With our two thirds we can then draft a TE (John Carlson) and a decent CB (Justin King)

But by trading down into the 20s we should also have gained a 4th pick

And the linebackers - with the likes of Hobson, Bailey, Boley, Lehman and Caleb Miller available we can pick up a decent FA who will bring experience to what will otherwise be a very inexperienced unit.

ddaryl
02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
we have plenty of picks and money to make some significant plays in FA and still maintain cash to cap.

I don't see a reason to move out of the #11 position, which historically has produced quite a handful of pro-bowl players.

but if all the players at coveted positions rated high enough for us are off the board then yes moving down is an option.

but I would stay put at #11 and see what falls to us 1st.

DraftBoy
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
How bout this scenario?

We trade down to the 20's...if Dan Connor is still there, nab him and in the 2nd we get best WR available (Sweed?) and trade our now 1 of 3 third round picks (and a fourth rounder) to get back UP into 2nd round and get best TE available. Next round we have 2 3rds. We can get a CB and a DT. Then in the next few rounds get best player available.

So not only do we address our LB's big time and get another stud LB that will form a bad ass Penn State LB tendem in Poz/Connor that will solidify our LB corps for years to come, but we also address the WR and TE situation, get a CB and DT that may work out in the 3rd round.

So trading down, in essence, we get 3-4 instant contributors to our lineup.

That's big.

Like the thinking and Im assuming you have us getting;

1st, 3rd and 4th for 1st?

But I think we can take Connor in Rd 1, say Sims/Balmer in Rd 2, Bowman in Rd 3a, Bennett inf Rd 3b, and Terrell Thomas/Trae Williams in Rd3c. Add in Justice with Rd 4a, and Hayes with 4b and you have 4-5 instant impact guys and good depth added too.

venis2k1
02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
The problem with trading down is you need a partner. We need to be sitting on a player that is so good that a team is willing to give up multiple picks for him. Unless Kenny Philips has such a good combine that he is seen as a legit top 10 pick, i cant see that happening.

DraftBoy
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
The problem with trading down is you need a partner. We need to be sitting on a player that is so good that a team is willing to give up multiple picks for him. Unless Kenny Philips has such a good combine that he is seen as a legit top 10 pick, i cant see that happening.

Phillips or Brohm would be the bait Id have to think

raphael120
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Like the thinking and Im assuming you have us getting;

1st, 3rd and 4th for 1st?

But I think we can take Connor in Rd 1, say Sims/Balmer in Rd 2, Bowman in Rd 3a, Bennett inf Rd 3b, and Terrell Thomas/Trae Williams in Rd3c. Add in Justice with Rd 4a, and Hayes with 4b and you have 4-5 instant impact guys and good depth added too.

I believe we'd get a 1rst and 3rd if we traded down? Depends where in the 20's we trade down to...if it's late 20's we get that extra 4th I believe.

But I'm sure there are plent of suiters for wanting to trade up...if not, we stay pat and we still have an opportunity to trade back up into the first if we want, or back into the second. We have too many picks and too many needs to just sit back and draft depth players.

HHURRICANE
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
We continue to play just mediocre enough to keep us out of the real good pickups. Why is everyone so eager to trade down and get another McCargo.

If anything, assuming we trade Losman, we should give up some of our 11 picks and move up and bring someone on board that actually might make a difference.

As much as I love Marshawyn how much of an impact would have A. Peterson, or Patrick Willis made on this team?

What if Dorsey is available at #4?

Don't Panic
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Still hurts to think we came so close to Willis... luckily Marshawn won me over.

If Rivers is gone, I'd gladly trade down. If we had 5 of the top 100 players in this draft in Bills unis next year (which is feasible with a trade down), we'd be significantly better.