PDA

View Full Version : My revised Free Agency signings

kernowboy
02-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Having considered this last week and with the date rapidly approach I've revised some of my thoughts

Offense

Jeff Faine, New Orleans Saints
I think we should go after Jeff Faine. Although he's smallish, he's a fighter and aged 27 he's a potentially a long term fit of 7-8 years. It saves us drafting another center of the future like Duke Preston - we can still grab a backup in the draft. Fowler is too easily pushed off the ball, while Faine has better technique. He was a ProBowl alternate and as the Saints have depth, they may not push to hard to retain him

Mike Pearson, Toronto Argonauts
"And in the Championship game, the Bills are starting Kris Chambers at LT due to injury to Jason Peters" - NO THANKS - Pearson started 31 games at LT for the Jags, and only due to injury did he start to slip especially when the Jags drafted Barnes. A cheapish pickup he provides quality depth at the most important position on the OL

Malcolm Floyd, San Diego Chargers
A RFA, the Chargers now have a very deep receiving corps. He always did well in pre-season and was almost named started this year after Parker went down before they traded for Chambers. He's only 26, but his stats are 6ft5, 225lbs and runs the 40 in 4.44. Worth trading a lower round selection for

Dan Kriedar, Pittsburgh Steelers
We've brought in Barnes, but he tends to get cut annually and we're his 6th NFL team. Kriedar is a loyal stalwart, a bulldozer of a FB at 255lbs and at 31 could still be playing at a Sam Gash level in 3 years time. It will help hasten Mashawn's development and allow us to develop a younger FB like the Seahawks did with Strong-Wheater

Mike Williams, Tennesse Titans
Ok I know, but he's only 24, no 'dangerous' character issues and on his day 6ft5, 229lbs, and runs the 40 in 4.56 which I hasten to add his .23 faster than Wilford who is 5 years older and much more expensive. Now with a stable family life and as a childhood Bills fan, I think if he'll make an effort anywhere it will be here, especially if the support of the Bills fans gives him the confidence he clearly requires

Cleo Lemon, Miami Dolphins
I think JP will be traded by the exhibition games. We need a decent back up in case Trent doesn't develop or gets injured. I see this as only a 2year option as I think we'll be looking closely at Todd Boeckman in 2009

We'll look to resign Gaines and draft a TE whilst I think a couple of OL will be drafted to start building some depth. After Fowler, I think Butler did enough to justify another season at RG

Defense

Randy Starks, Tennesse Titans
A lackluster last year raises concerns as does some over aggressive tendancies but he's only 24, and at 6ft3 and 312lbs, has the opportunity to become a key man in the interior. He may not be as expensive as some other options but has considerable upside. Certainly I'd prefer him on the roster to Jason Jefferson

Teddy Lehman, Detroit Lions
Injured for quite a bit of his career, he seems to have overcome this. Had a sterling rookie season under Jauron and is still only 26. He can play SLB, MLB and is a good STeamer. Whilst we talk about drafting a LB in Round1, I am concerned at how inexperienced this leaves us especially as I feel our Round1 pick needs to be starting on Day1. Lehman gives us experience and a backup option in case we cannot resign Crowell next year

Eugene Wilson, Patriots
Whilst I think Simpson will be a great FS, there is no way to tell how he will come back from his injury. Wilson gives veteran leadership whilst still only 28, and with the Pats other FA priorities, we may be able to sneak him out of Foxborough. He'd be an upgrade over George Wilson and Jim Leonhard

YardRat
02-19-2008, 05:47 AM
That would be decent but I wouldn't expect that many known quantities to be signed by the team.

DraftBoy
02-19-2008, 05:57 AM
I would love Malcolm Floyd but I can't see SD giving him up despite their depth he is there only big target WR wise.

lightningbolt444
02-19-2008, 06:47 AM
I would love Malcolm Floyd but I can't see SD giving him up despite their depth he is there only big target WR wise.

ummmm not quite

<TABLE class=roster_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class="" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>81</TD><TD>Osgood, Kassim (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/kassim-osgood.htm)</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>6-5</TD><TD> 220</TD><TD>San Diego State</TD><TD> 5 </TD><TD>27</TD></TR><TR class="" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>83</TD><TD>Jackson, Vincent (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/vincent-jackson.htm)</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>6-5</TD><TD> 241 </TD><TD>University of Northern Colorado</TD><TD> 3</TD><TD> 25</TD></TR><TR class=" gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>84</TD><TD>Davis, Buster (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/craig-davis.htm)</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>6-1</TD><TD> 207</TD><TD>Louisiana State</TD><TD> 0</TD><TD> 22</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=roster_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=" gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>40</TD><TD>Naanee, Legedu (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/legedu-naanee.htm)</TD><TD>TE-WR</TD><TD>6-2</TD><TD> 226 </TD><TD>Boise State</TD><TD> 0 </TD><TD>24</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=roster_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=" gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>85</TD><TD>Gates, Antonio (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/antonio-gates.htm)</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>6-4</TD><TD> 260</TD><TD> Kent State</TD><TD> 5</TD><TD> 27</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

id accually go out on a limb and say they have the biggest corps in the nfl as a whole

Ickybaluky
02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
The only guy I see as an upgrade is Krieder.

Faine is a try-hard guy you root for, but he is small and gets pushed around. I don't see him as an upgrade over Fowler.

Eugene Wilson has talent, but fell off badly in the last couple years. Maybe part of his problem is struggling with injuries, but he was a healthy scratch a couple times late in the year and was the 7th DB in the playoffs. The Pats aren't going to make any real effort to keep him.

Starks is a dog. He has the body, but bow-wow.

Ditto Mike Williams, who reportedly has ballooned up to over 280 lbs. Maybe you can put him at OT.

The rest are JAGs.

I would think you would want more of an upgrade.

One guy I think the Bills should look at is Tommy Kelly. He is coming off surgery, but when healthy he was a versatile inside player who could really help you guys.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2008, 07:09 AM

Vincent Jackson? Antonio Gates? Hello?

Mitchell55
02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Having considered this last week and with the date rapidly approach I've revised some of my thoughts

Offense

I think we should go after Jeff Faine. Although he's smallish, he's a fighter and aged 27 he's a potentially a long term fit of 7-8 years. It saves us drafting another center of the future like Duke Preston - we can still grab a backup in the draft. Fowler is too easily pushed off the ball, while Faine has better technique. He was a ProBowl alternate and as the Saints have depth, they may not push to hard to retain him

"And in the Championship game, the Bills are starting Kris Chambers at LT due to injury to Jason Peters" - NO THANKS - Pearson started 31 games at LT for the Jags, and only due to injury did he start to slip especially when the Jags drafted Barnes. A cheapish pickup he provides quality depth at the most important position on the OL

A RFA, the Chargers now have a very deep receiving corps. He always did well in pre-season and was almost named started this year after Parker went down before they traded for Chambers. He's only 26, but his stats are 6ft5, 225lbs and runs the 40 in 4.44. Worth trading a lower round selection for

We've brought in Barnes, but he tends to get cut annually and we're his 6th NFL team. Kriedar is a loyal stalwart, a bulldozer of a FB at 255lbs and at 31 could still be playing at a Sam Gash level in 3 years time. It will help hasten Mashawn's development and allow us to develop a younger FB like the Seahawks did with Strong-Wheater

Ok I know, but he's only 24, no 'dangerous' character issues and on his day 6ft5, 229lbs, and runs the 40 in 4.56 which I hasten to add his .23 faster than Wilford who is 5 years older and much more expensive. Now with a stable family life and as a childhood Bills fan, I think if he'll make an effort anywhere it will be here, especially if the support of the Bills fans gives him the confidence he clearly requires

I think JP will be traded by the exhibition games. We need a decent back up in case Trent doesn't develop or gets injured. I see this as only a 2year option as I think we'll be looking closely at Todd Boeckman in 2009

We'll look to resign Gaines and draft a TE whilst I think a couple of OL will be drafted to start building some depth. After Fowler, I think Butler did enough to justify another season at RG

Defense

A lackluster last year raises concerns as does some over aggressive tendancies but he's only 24, and at 6ft3 and 312lbs, has the opportunity to become a key man in the interior. He may not be as expensive as some other options but has considerable upside. Certainly I'd prefer him on the roster to Jason Jefferson

Injured for quite a bit of his career, he seems to have overcome this. Had a sterling rookie season under Jauron and is still only 26. He can play SLB, MLB and is a good STeamer. Whilst we talk about drafting a LB in Round1, I am concerned at how inexperienced this leaves us especially as I feel our Round1 pick needs to be starting on Day1. Lehman gives us experience and a backup option in case we cannot resign Crowell next year

Eugene Wilson, Patriots
Whilst I think Simpson will be a great FS, there is no way to tell how he will come back from his injury. Wilson gives veteran leadership whilst still only 28, and with the Pats other FA priorities, we may be able to sneak him out of Foxborough. He'd be an upgrade over George Wilson and Jim Leonhard

Can you put positions next to each guy, because I didnt bother to read what you wrote and Ive never heard of half of them.

colin
02-19-2008, 07:38 AM
good list, but i think we will grab at least one big time guy

DraftBoy
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Vincent Jackson? Antonio Gates? Hello?

Jackson yes, but Gates is a TE, I dont consider him into the equation when I say they dont have tall WR's. Royal is 6'4, Gaines 6'3 but you still continually here posters talk about how we need taller targets and I pretty clearly stated WR's, not TE's. But I did miss on Jackson, completely slipped my mind.

Osgood while of some size never sees the field for SD as is indicative by the fact that his career high is 15 catches in a season and in the past two he has a total of 2 catches. He was a player at San Diego State and maybe they feel like he deserves a shot, but Floyd is a guy who year before last became a redzone target for them 15 catches, 3 TDs and this year was hurt the majority of the year. I would be shocked to see them give up on him so quickly. This will be his 5th year he's entering.

Davis doesnt have bad size at 6'1, but he's not a huge WR like Floyd, Osgood, or Jackson are. He'll be a good WR for them though paired with Jackson and Chambers.

DraftBoy
02-19-2008, 07:42 AM
ummmm not quite

<TABLE class=roster_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class="" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>81</TD><TD>Osgood, Kassim (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/kassim-osgood.htm)</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>6-5</TD><TD> 220</TD><TD>San Diego State</TD><TD> 5 </TD><TD>27</TD></TR><TR class="" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>83</TD><TD>Jackson, Vincent (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/vincent-jackson.htm)</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>6-5</TD><TD> 241 </TD><TD>University of Northern Colorado</TD><TD> 3</TD><TD> 25</TD></TR><TR class=" gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>84</TD><TD>Davis, Buster (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/craig-davis.htm)</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>6-1</TD><TD> 207</TD><TD>Louisiana State</TD><TD> 0</TD><TD> 22</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=roster_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=" gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>40</TD><TD>Naanee, Legedu (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/legedu-naanee.htm)</TD><TD>TE-WR</TD><TD>6-2</TD><TD> 226 </TD><TD>Boise State</TD><TD> 0 </TD><TD>24</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=roster_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=" gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><TD>85</TD><TD>Gates, Antonio (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/antonio-gates.htm)</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>6-4</TD><TD> 260</TD><TD> Kent State</TD><TD> 5</TD><TD> 27</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

id accually go out on a limb and say they have the biggest corps in the nfl as a whole

Missed on Jackson, yes but Osgood rarely plays, and Davis is only 6'1, and while he's not short he is not tall either. Gates and Naanee are both TE's and I was talking about WR's.

mysticsoto
02-19-2008, 07:59 AM
ummmm not quite

<table class="roster_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><td>81</td><td>Osgood, Kassim (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/kassim-osgood.htm)</td><td>WR</td><td>6-5</td><td> 220</td><td>San Diego State</td><td> 5 </td><td>27</td></tr><tr class="" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><td>83</td><td>Jackson, Vincent (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/vincent-jackson.htm)</td><td>WR</td><td>6-5</td><td> 241 </td><td>University of Northern Colorado</td><td> 3</td><td> 25</td></tr><tr class="gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><td>84</td><td>Davis, Buster (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/craig-davis.htm)</td><td>WR</td><td>6-1</td><td> 207</td><td>Louisiana State</td><td> 0</td><td> 22</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table class="roster_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><td>40</td><td>Naanee, Legedu (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/legedu-naanee.htm)</td><td>TE-WR</td><td>6-2</td><td> 226 </td><td>Boise State</td><td> 0 </td><td>24</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="roster_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="gridRowRollover" onmouseover="this.className += ' gridRowRollover';" onmouseout="this.className = this.className.replace(' gridRowRollover', '');"><td>85</td><td>Gates, Antonio (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/antonio-gates.htm)</td><td>TE</td><td>6-4</td><td> 260</td><td> Kent State</td><td> 5</td><td> 27</td></tr></tbody></table>

Legedu Naanee is a TE? I thought he was a WR??? I remember him b'cse I wanted the Bills to draft him...

Just went to their website and he's listed as a TE/WR...if I recall, last year, he did a few returns on STs...

kernowboy
02-19-2008, 08:15 AM
The only guy I see as an upgrade is Krieder.

Faine is a try-hard guy you root for, but he is small and gets pushed around. I don't see him as an upgrade over Fowler.

Eugene Wilson has talent, but fell off badly in the last couple years. Maybe part of his problem is struggling with injuries, but he was a healthy scratch a couple times late in the year and was the 7th DB in the playoffs. The Pats aren't going to make any real effort to keep him.

Starks is a dog. He has the body, but bow-wow.

Ditto Mike Williams, who reportedly has ballooned up to over 280 lbs. Maybe you can put him at OT.

The rest are JAGs.

I would think you would want more of an upgrade.

One guy I think the Bills should look at is Tommy Kelly. He is coming off surgery, but when healthy he was a versatile inside player who could really help you guys.

Kelly???? Coming of injury and rarely achieved anything. He's no better than Starks and will be more expensive. He significantly upgrades over Jefferson and has the youth to get much better. His first couple of seasons with the Titans were pretty reasonable.

With Mike Pearson and Mike Williams they will be very cheap and there is no harm in looking - reportedly by whom? The Press? I'd rather believe the Buffalo Bills scales in the weight room.

Faine has got the frame to get bigger and with the technical ability could be a leading Center as his peers already consider him this voting him a pro-bowl alternate

Wilson would be an upgrade over George Wilson and Jim Leonhard.

Lehman would be an upgrade over Stammer and Haggan and would bring experience to a LB corps edging out Ellison to.

Hasn't the success of the Pats told us you bring in players who have enjoyed little success elsewhere and have them enjoy success with you?

DraftBoy
02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Legedu Naanee is a TE? I thought he was a WR??? I remember him b'cse I wanted the Bills to draft him...

Just went to their website and he's listed as a TE/WR...if I recall, last year, he did a few returns on STs...

At 226 he could be a WR, what did he run 40 wise?

mysticsoto
02-19-2008, 08:46 AM
At 226 he could be a WR, what did he run 40 wise?
4.41 40 - although some websites listed him in the 4.3's. He was a track star before, and I wanted him just on the chance that we could use that tremendous speed. He was the #25 WR taken...

DraftBoy
02-19-2008, 09:04 AM
4.41 40 - although some websites listed him in the 4.3's. He was a track star before, and I wanted him just on the chance that we could use that tremendous speed. He was the #25 WR taken...

Hmm...dont know SD would list him at TE then, maybe they plan to bulk him up some?

mysticsoto
02-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Hmm...dont know SD would list him at TE then, maybe they plan to bulk him up some?

More than likely he's having trouble controlling his own weight...

hydro
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Can you put positions next to each guy, because I didnt bother to read what you wrote and Ive never heard of half of them.

:rofl: "I am too lazy to read what you wrote, so could you help me?"

DraftBoy
02-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Cause Im a nice guy;

Faine-OC
Pearson-OT
Floyd-WR
Kreider-FB
Williams-WR
Lemon-QB
Starks-DT
Lehman-LB
Wilson-FS

EDS
02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't see any harm in signing Pearson for a potential back-up role. Hard to believe he could be worse then Chambers.

Mitchell55
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Cause Im a nice guy;

Faine-OC
Pearson-OT
Floyd-WR
Kreider-FB
Williams-WR
Lemon-QB
Starks-DT
Lehman-LB
Wilson-FS

Thank you. :up:

venis2k1
02-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Please refer to my thread "the case against Jeff Faine"

kernowboy
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Please refer to my thread "the case against Jeff Faine"

I heard you.

Dan Koppen weighs 296lbs
Tom Nalen weighs 286lbs

Quality centers like Faine, can overcome lack of size through proper technique. Goodwin only played 2 games not 14 like Faine, hardly a valid comparison.

Fowler lacks both size and technical expertise. Faine is only 27 so might have a good 8 years left so counts as a decent and strong investment.

OpIv37
02-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Offense

Defense

Eugene Wilson, Patriots

"I'll take Players who will never wear a Bills uniform for $1000, Alex".

I wouldn't be opposed to any of those guys except Cleo Lemon, but I just don't see the Bills making any moves for them- especially not Wilson. The FO seems to like our half-assed safety corps.