PDA

View Full Version : Owen Schmitt

yordad
02-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Well, lets here it. Predict where he will go. Predict what he will do. Tell me if you want him, and when. Don't be scared.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-20-2008, 02:57 AM
If he's still on the board when the Bills are up with their second 5th round pick, I'd take him. But, I wouldn't consider taking him before then.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but I think that the Bills can get another FB for their offense who could be as good or better in the long run later in the draft. Also, I'm not as down on D.Barnes as some people: while it is true that he has lost his job a few times, on a couple of occasions it was because the team he was on was going with a one-back set with H-back more than a FB and, from what I can remember from when he was with the Jets not long ago, he can block.

Now, as I said, Schmitt is an interesting player who could be a very good NFL FB, but, having seen him a lot in college, he reminds me a lot of former Bills FB Jamie Mueller--a guy who hit so hard that he ended up having to retire after only a couple of years because of concussions. And, from some of the remarks that I've heard Schmitt make, he's had a couple of concussions already (when a guy talks about not remembering part of a game, he's pretty much saying that he played with a concussion--not a smart thing to do and a real warning flag). One of my real concerns with Schmitt is that he will come in, start to really play well, but, then, have to quit just as his career is taking off because of concussions.

As I've said, I like him and I would not be unhappy if the Bills were to get him in the draft. But, because of what I see to be his injury-risk, I would not want to invest a mid-round pick where I might be able to still get a real play-maker at a position of need on him. In Round # 5--maybe earlier if the Bills get a compensatory pick in Round 3 or Round 4--I would be willing to take him.

However, because of all of the hype that Schmitt has gotten, I seriously doubt that he will last that long. (The only reason that I can see that he might is that B.Leonard from Rutgers really didn't produce much last year and there are a couple of other FBs in this draft who are just as good or perhaps even better blockers than Schmitt--and that may cause some teams that might be interested in him to hesitate to take him as early as some draftniks think he should go.)

clumping platelets
02-20-2008, 02:59 AM
I would grab him in the 3rd or 4th.........

Confused
02-20-2008, 06:25 AM
great post LBF. While I'm noy as high on Schmitt as I once was, His attitude and potential for this team look bright. I think the fans here will love him. He goes out and breaks a few heads(hopefully not himself in the process) or punches in a crucial TD will really put asses in seats here.

IF we draft him, it wont be till at least the fourth. Unless he runs a 4.59 @ the combine!!!!!

mysticsoto
02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
I think 5th rd would be ideal for him, unless we are able to address alot of our holes in FA. If we could get a decent veteran WR and maybe a decent LB or even CB, 4th might be doable. Again, it's hard to say b'cse it depends on who has dropped that might be of better value to us by the 4th rd...

DraftBoy
02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
6th would be the earliest Id take him

bigbub2352
02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
4th depending on what we do in the first 3 rounds,

venis2k1
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I would consider him in the third, jump on the chance to take him in the 4th.

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 12:28 PM
6th, no earlier.

VeggieMan14
02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I would loooooove to have this guy. Take him in the third IMO because i dont think he will be there in the fourth but if he is definately in the fourth