• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Goalie gear to shrink AGAIN!

NAPLES, Fla. - Shrink the goalies. Again.

That was the unanimous message from the NHL's 30 GMs Tuesday as they tried to address once and for all an issue that's played over and over again like Groundhog Day.

"Everybody is tired of the conversation," said Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland. "If we can't get this right, then we have to sit down and look at the alternatives. And obviously bigger nets is one of the alternatives. That's something I don't really think anybody wants to do. Our hope is to get the goalie equipment right."

Day 2 of the GM meetings produced a minor trade - veteran defenceman Jaroslav Modry was sent from Los Angeles to Philadelphia for a third-round draft pick. The meeting also dealt with other topics such as the IIHF-NHL player transfer agreement and other collective bargaining issues but the clear headliner was the decision to forge ahead with a plan to further reduce goalie equipment.

"It's the right thing," said veteran New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello, whose own goalie Martin Brodeur is certainly not among the cheaters. "Time has finally come where it's sort of taken a life of its own. As far as we're concerned, Marty probably wears the smallest equipment out there. But I don't think that's the point.

"What was impressive today was that it was unanimous, that every manager, no matter what their thought process was before, that it's finally got to the point where it has to get addressed."

The GMs agreed to form a committee of current and past skaters, goalies and GMs to come up with a way to further reduce and streamline equipment without putting the goalies at risk. The inclusion of current skaters and goalies is key - they can't make these changes without the endorsement of the NHL Players' Association.

• SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

Re: Goalie gear to shrink AGAIN!

I've been following hockey and I can't remember the last time the goalie equipment shrunk and if it did it couldn't be that major. Sometimes I wonder what you are thinking about when you post.

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

I think you are being a little hard on LW. This is at least linked to a news article...
      BERNIAC!

Comment

• JD
        Sabres Zone
        • Sep 2003

Good.
        “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

About time. Watch footage from the 80s and earlier, and today's goalies are like the Michelin man
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

I'm sorry, but Brodeur wears some of the biggest pads in the NHL. What crack is that guy on???

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Jan 2004

here's a good comparison's that somebody came up with

Hasek when he was in Chicago

Hasek with Sabres

and Hasek with Detroit (Now)

Patrick Roy

Luongo

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

The pads are the biggest problem, IMO, they are suppose to protect legs, not cover 75 percent of the net. Start with the width of the pads. Goalies legs can be much different when it comes to width.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                  I've been following hockey and I can't remember the last time the goalie equipment shrunk and if it did it couldn't be that major. Sometimes I wonder what you are thinking about when you post.
                  baseless attack

simmer down there john boy
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                    baseless attack

simmer down there john boy
                    When was the last time they reduced goalie equipment cause according to the title it happens pretty much every year?

Comment

• LABillsFan
                      • Aug 2002

I love the skates

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Dude
                        that slimey ass of an admin at the zone
                        • Feb 2005

After viewing the before and after images, it's obvious that all these goalies are on the juice.

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

Anyone remember Ruff saying "It looks like he has bricks stacked on his shoulders" referring to Garth Snow..

fyi, in 2003 they set harder restrictions on goalie pads
                          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            I'm sorry, but Brodeur wears some of the biggest pads in the NHL. What crack is that guy on???
                            Actually he doesn't

"I don't have a problem with it," Brodeur said. "One guy who's 170 pounds probably shouldn't look bigger than a guy who's 220. I've got 30 pounds on a lot of guys, but they look bigger than me because they're wearing size XXL pants. Look at (St. Louis goalie) Manny Legace. He's a small guy who wears 38-inch pads (in length), the maximum. Olaf Kolzig wears 38s, but he's 6' 4". There are a bunch of guys who should be wearing 36s. (Brodeur wears pads that are 34½ inches.) Because Legace is small, the pads are allowing him to cover areas that he probably shouldn't be covering. The way it is now, it isn't fair."

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                              Actually he doesn't

"I don't have a problem with it," Brodeur said. "One guy who's 170 pounds probably shouldn't look bigger than a guy who's 220. I've got 30 pounds on a lot of guys, but they look bigger than me because they're wearing size XXL pants. Look at (St. Louis goalie) Manny Legace. He's a small guy who wears 38-inch pads (in length), the maximum. Olaf Kolzig wears 38s, but he's 6' 4". There are a bunch of guys who should be wearing 36s. (Brodeur wears pads that are 34½ inches.) Because Legace is small, the pads are allowing him to cover areas that he probably shouldn't be covering. The way it is now, it isn't fair."
                              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...fly/index.html
                              Actually, "pads" includes all his equipment and it IS some of the bigger in the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X