PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Primer

X-Era
02-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Like this format:

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2008

A few names stood out to me that I havent seen us talk about before:

Michael Turner: we made a run at him last year, he signed only for one year according to this, why not use him as our backup to Lynch?

Calvin Pace: DE/OLB type who an rush the passer. Never lived up to his 1st round billing but could be a nice situational LB/DE type A.L.A Hargrove

Thats just to name a few

kernowboy
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Its a little out of date and I think the FA list on www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) is better as its been updated with the FA who have been franchised or resigned.

In terms of your suggestions, I think Ware maybe but he's at 272lbs suggesting he's more of a pass rusher .. I'd be more comfortable bringing in someone who is a true LB like Bailey or Lehman, both of whom have played under Jauron.

On the RB side, Turner will get a big pay day but another option might be TJ Duckett of the Lions. Martz didn't like him but he got over a 100yds in his only start and avg 5.1 per carry. At 254lbs he'd be great for those goal line charges.

jamze132
02-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Like this format:

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2008

A few names stood out to me that I havent seen us talk about before:

Michael Turner: we made a run at him last year, he signed only for one year according to this, why not use him as our backup to Lynch?

Calvin Pace: DE/OLB type who an rush the passer. Never lived up to his 1st round billing but could be a nice situational LB/DE type A.L.A Hargrove

Thats just to name a few
Turner will get a lucrative deal from another team needing a feature back. If the Chargers didn't draft him, he would already be a top 10 back.

Bruce is Loose
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Its a little out of date and I think the FA list on www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) is better as its been updated with the FA who have been franchised or resigned.

In terms of your suggestions, I think Ware maybe but he's at 272lbs suggesting he's more of a pass rusher .. I'd be more comfortable bringing in someone who is a true LB like Bailey or Lehman, both of whom have played under Jauron.

On the RB side, Turner will get a big pay day but another option might be TJ Duckett of the Lions. Martz didn't like him but he got over a 100yds in his only start and avg 5.1 per carry. At 254lbs he'd be great for those goal line charges.

I LOVE his mock draft! Especially if we can sign DL help (and maybe a CB) in free agency.

The Jokeman
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I LOVE his mock draft! Especially if we can sign DL help (and maybe a CB) in free agency.
That's a solid mock but I'm still perplexed with this Owen Schmitt lovefest.

Bulldog
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Turner will get a lucrative deal from another team needing a feature back. If the Chargers didn't draft him, he would already be a top 10 back.

I wonder if A.J. Smith would have the balls to trade LT and sign Turner to a long term deal. I know it sounds crazy, but LT isn't getting any younger and he's taken a lot of carries the last few years. Just a thought.

Jeff1220
02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I can't remember where I saw it (no link), but I saw an article that said Chicago was interested in Turner. Even as speculation, it makes a lot of sense, since Benson doesn't seem to be of the feature back ilk and Turner is from Illinois.
Besides, RB is pretty much the least of my worries with Lynch/Jackson/Wright. I really don't expect anyone else to be picked up for RB except, maybe camp fodder, but that role will likely go to A-Train this year.

Oaf
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
1. Kelly
2. Highsmith
3. Martelleus Bennett (TE)
3b. Steve Justice (C)
4. Owen Schmitt

Not bad at all. Concerns are,

How fast does Kelly become a threat for us? He is a slight reach in a relatively
poor WR class.

Can someone fill me in on Bennett? What's his game like?

Last concern, we didn't address DLine at all. Does this assume we were able to get a pass rusher and another DT via FA? That's a tall task. Dline should be as much of a priority as WR.

Oaf
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I wonder if A.J. Smith would have the balls to trade LT and sign Turner to a long term deal. I know it sounds crazy, but LT isn't getting any younger and he's taken a lot of carries the last few years. Just a thought.
That would be an unbelieveable set of events! :eek:

evol4276
02-21-2008, 04:57 PM
so sick of hearing about turner, tho id much rather have him as a backup than anything else. so not worth the price when we have bigger needs imo

Mad Max
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Accurate.