PDA

View Full Version : Kelly won't run 40....

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly has chosen not to run the 40-yard dash at this week's NFL Combine. Kelly claims he's still bothered by a leg contusion, or bruise, he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl. He could still run at Oklahoma's March 11 Pro Day, but the Combine offers more of a level playing field. Because speed is always a huge question for big receivers, this doesn't look good for the 6'4 Kelly.
:rolleyes:

DraftBoy
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh what the hell is this crap, run you puss!

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 06:02 PM
He's afraid that his slow ass time will hurt his status, oh well, he's the number two WR in the draft anyway :up:

DraftBoy
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
He's afraid that his slow ass time will hurt his status, oh well, he's the number two WR in the draft anyway :up:

I agree :up: but we differ on whose #1

Ebenezer
02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't think he has run a sub 4.5 40 has he? I can see his rationale but it is going to cost him unless he drops a sub 4.45 on his own track...however, maybe he is really injured and doesn't even run on 3/11.

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree :up: but we differ on whose #1
It's because you just don't know what you're taking about, that's all :up:

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't think he has run a sub 4.5 40 has he? I can see his rationale but it is going to cost him unless he drops a sub 4.45 on his own track...however, maybe he is really injured and doesn't even run on 3/11.
Or maybe he's just being a pussy.

Ebenezer
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Or maybe he's just being a pussy.
My point is that he is not as speedy of a receiver as some would wish. That doesn't make him a pussy. Everything he does between now and the draft is an investment. He is better not to run then to go run a 4.5 or worse.

And it doesn't matter. Some team will invest the pick and I feel they will be very happy with it.

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
My point is that he is not as speedy of a receiver as some would wish. That doesn't make him a pussy. Everything he does between now and the draft is an investment. He is better not to run then to go run a 4.5 or worse.

And it doesn't matter. Some team will invest the pick and I feel they will be very happy with it.
He runs more like a 4.6

At any rate, the 40 yard dash is one of the most overrated things in all of football. There's a difference between strait line speed and football speed; give me football speed any day.

Yasgur's Farm
02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Why do people insist that measurables always take a back seat? Of course 40 times are important... Otherwise they wouldn't be part of the combine.

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Why do people insist that measurables always take a back seat? Of course 40 times are important... Otherwise they wouldn't be part of the combine.
Because I played football at every level minus NFL and played with guys who ran 4.8's but were the fastest players on the field.

Football speed > forty speed.

X-Era
02-20-2008, 06:49 PM
:rolleyes:

For us fans of drafting Kelly this is a "win"

If he does well, he could goup from the mid 1st grade many have him at. Without it, I think he will really be at 11.

Its not Kellys speed that makes him so good, its his routes, moves, and incredible hands.

He reminds me of Moulds when he came out. Hes just a bit lankier.

Mr. Pink
02-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Because I played football at every level minus NFL and played with guys who ran 4.8's but were the fastest players on the field.

Football speed > forty speed.

Agreed.

Just because you can run a 4.4 in shorts and a t-shirt doesn't mean you can do in pads. Track speed doesn't always translate to game speed.

X-Era
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM

They will be very very happy IMO!

In case anyone forgot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZHjgrXArI

Heres some 06 highlights:

http://footballjabber.vodpod.com/video/855571-malcolm-kelly

Confused
02-20-2008, 06:51 PM
He runs more like a 4.6

At any rate, the 40 yard dash is one of the most overrated things in all of football. There's a difference between strait line speed and football speed; give me football speed any day.

roscoe parrish. fastest guy i have ever seen on a football field. WAAAAYYYYY faster than the 4.43 he ran at the combine.

mysticsoto
02-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Now I'm positive we won't be drafting him. Without knowing his 40 number, there is no way in hell the Bills should be grabbing him at #11. The only way that might be justified would be if he ran a sub 4.5 - which he probably can't anyway.

I guess that's kind of good - the Bills are less likely to overreach with him at #11. And that's fine. We will get a decent WR likely in the 2nd rd that will be excellent.

But that 1st rd pick is definitely a puzzler on who best to choose...

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I would almost rather we not draft any WR's. It would make me feel more confident that we are working on getting Evans re-signed long term.

yordad
02-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Agreed.

Just because you can run a 4.4 in shorts and a t-shirt doesn't mean you can do in pads. Track speed doesn't always translate to game speed.Well, one would think there is a pretty high correlation. He is a wide receiver guys. He does happen to run straight from time to time.

mysticsoto
02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I would almost rather we not draft any WR's. It would make me feel more confident that we are working on getting Evans re-signed long term.

We can sign Evans AND draft a decent prospect or two. We should take advantage of the depth this year and grab some good quality outside of the 1st rd...

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, one would think there is a pretty high correlation. He is a wide receiver guys. He does happen to run straight from time to time.
There are few times in a given game where a player will have to run 20 yards much less 40. It's as worthless as the QB rating.

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
We can sign Evans AND draft a decent prospect or two. We should take advantage of the depth this year and grab some good quality outside of the 1st rd...
I know that we CAN sign Evans, I question if we WILL sign him. I think you understand that I'm not against drafting a WR, I was being semi-sarcastic.

mysticsoto
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I know that we CAN sign Evans, I question if we WILL sign him. I think you understand that I'm not against drafting a WR, I was being semi-sarcastic.

If we don't sign him, it will likely be b'cse he WANTS to go somewhere else or is being completely unreasonable in his asking price...either way means we should be prepared in case we won't have him here...which is why I'm for drafting 2 WR prospects this year!

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 09:31 PM
If we don't sign him, it will likely be b'cse he WANTS to go somewhere else or is being completely unreasonable in his asking price...either way means we should be prepared in case we won't have him here...which is why I'm for drafting 2 WR prospects this year!
AND I'M NOT AGAINST DRAFTING TWO! :lol:

I think he's worthy of Andre Johnson/Steve Smith money, anything more and he's crazy.

yordad
02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
There are few times in a given game where a player will have to run 20 yards much less 40. It's as worthless as the QB rating.Well, not to nitpick, but it is a passer rating, not a QB rating. And, it measures completion %, tds/ints, and yards per attempt. It is a darn good stat in my book. Name the best QBs in the league. Then name the ones with the highest passer rating. Pretty high correlation there too.

If Kelly doesn't run, he doesn't get picked at 11.

gr8slayer
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, not to nitpick, but it is a passer rating, not a QB rating. And, it measures completion %, tds/ints, and yards per attempt. It is a darn good stat in my book. Name the best QBs in the league. Then name the ones with the highest passer rating. Pretty high correlation there too.

If Kelly doesn't run, he doesn't get picked at 11.
:sigh: :shakeno:

I've gone through this same argument far too many time with the new people, go back into the archives and you'll find my counter argument.

yordad
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
:sigh: :shakeno:

I've gone through this same argument far too many time with the new people, go back into the archives and you'll find my counter argument.What are you going to say? It doesn't count throwing the ball away.... It doesn't take into account poor supporting cast.... it doesn't count dropped balls?

Well, it is still the best passing stat. If you subtract attempts for throw aways, and if you could count drops as completions, it could be better. If you could somehow factor in reducing it some based on sacks, and increasing it based on lack of pocket time, then all the better.

But, as is, it is still the best at "judging" passing production. Actually, it takes all the "judging" out of it. It is strictly objective. And, although it isn't a certainty, there is no denying the high correlation between being the best QB, and having the most production.

TigerJ
02-20-2008, 10:32 PM
If Kelly doesn't run at his pro day, or fails to post an impressive time, he won't get drafted anywhere in te top half of the first round. He may end up being a very late first round pick, or slip out of round one entirely.

Confused
02-21-2008, 06:21 AM
James Hardys keep lookin better and better.

I say draft Rivers @ 11 or trade down. I think Hardy will be there in the 2nd. Hardy would be a steal in RD2. Hardy and Martellus Bennett would add some serious size to our Offense.

X-Era
02-21-2008, 06:42 AM
If Kelly doesn't run at his pro day, or fails to post an impressive time, he won't get drafted anywhere in te top half of the first round. He may end up being a very late first round pick, or slip out of round one entirely.

Understand why some of you feel that way but I will be shocked if it happens like that. Hes a top 15 pick whether he runs or not.

X-Era
02-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Not seeing your take man, with all due respect. Why have a boatload of backups instead of a true talent? Just dont see it.

Malcolm Kelly is better, day one, than any WR outside of Evans on the Bills, can you say that for some 2nd or late rounder?

Confused
02-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Hardy is better than Reed. Hardy is more of a target than Parrish. Thats a pretty profound statement EdwardsEra, outside of Evans(who aint all that), our WR corps suck donkey deek. Sweed is an upgrade. Manningham is not a possesion WR, but is still a better prospect than Reed. Reed was the 1st or second WR in his class and has been basically a bust. Bowman. Any of these guys would be a starting No.2 day one.
With Kelly not running, Hardy is now the No1 "big WR" in the draft and No3 overall.

DraftBoy
02-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Understand why some of you feel that way but I will be shocked if it happens like that. Hes a top 15 pick whether he runs or not.

2nd Round grade from NFL Exploratory Committee and 4th Round Grade by OU coaches and Staff (bias obviously) the kid is way over hyped and should of stayed in school.

mysticsoto
02-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Not seeing your take man, with all due respect. Why have a boatload of backups instead of a true talent? Just dont see it.

Malcolm Kelly is better, day one, than any WR outside of Evans on the Bills, can you say that for some 2nd or late rounder?
WRs can take time to develop. If we can't sign Evans b'cse he's being unrealistic in his demands, we can have 2 young WRs hopefully that can contribute. One we absolutely need this year at #2. Malcolm Kelly would be great to obtain, but at #11 is kind of high. So what do we do? Trade down. Easy to say here. Not so easy to do when the time comes. You have to get an offer that is worthy of you moving down. Then if you are lucky enough to have someone to want to move up and pay what it would require, you have to decide how low to go. Does Kelly get by Philadelphia in the mid round? What's the backup plan if someone drafts him before our trade down pick can choose him? Are we content with that risk? Who is there that we may settle for and for which position?

As to talent, there is ALOT of talent at the WR position so let's not putdown the level that they are in. It is great that there is a flood of WRs given that we need some. What's my take? Draft a #2 WR either by trading down (may not be possible) or in the 2nd. Then draft another later that may be raw but with potential to develop. This WR can take Aiken's spot since he clearly will never develop into a viable WR for us. Yes, we will miss Aiken on STs, but this year, Coy Wire should be back from injury and Jenkins was starting to turn it on in STs. We'll also have George Wilson back and I believe he plays STs. Wright is also a good addition. I'm not sure if Barnes plays STs but it almost seems logical that a FB should since their life is blocking...

I don't see anything Earth shattering here. Grab your #2 WR in a traded down 1st rd or early in the 2nd rd and grab another later in this high depth year for development for the future...

DraftBoy
02-21-2008, 07:56 AM
WRs can take time to develop. If we can't sign Evans b'cse he's being unrealistic in his demands, we can have 2 young WRs hopefully that can contribute. One we absolutely need this year at #2. Malcolm Kelly would be great to obtain, but at #11 is kind of high. So what do we do? Trade down. Easy to say here. Not so easy to do when the time comes. You have to get an offer that is worthy of you moving down. Then if you are lucky enough to have someone to want to move up and pay what it would require, you have to decide how low to go. Does Kelly get by Philadelphia in the mid round? What's the backup plan if someone drafts him before our trade down pick can choose him? Are we content with that risk? Who is there that we may settle for and for which position?

As to talent, there is ALOT of talent at the WR position so let's not putdown the level that they are in. It is great that there is a flood of WRs given that we need some. What's my take? Draft a #2 WR either by trading down (may not be possible) or in the 2nd. Then draft another later that may be raw but with potential to develop. This WR can take Aiken's spot since he clearly will never develop into a viable WR for us. Yes, we will miss Aiken on STs, but this year, Coy Wire should be back from injury and Jenkins was starting to turn it on in STs. We'll also have George Wilson back and I believe he plays STs. Wright is also a good addition. I'm not sure if Barnes plays STs but it almost seems logical that a FB should since their life is blocking...

I don't see anything Earth shattering here. Grab your #2 WR in a traded down 1st rd or early in the 2nd rd and grab another later in this high depth year for development for the future...

Solid plan to me

Bmax
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I agree i would much rather improve our front seven then take a WR who may bring little if anything year one...We have been down this road before... Let's not pass on this years Tommie Harris or Will Smith ....

Merling, Sims or Rivers could give us a playmaker on DEF which is something we need DESPERATELY....

The FA pick up at WR should allow us to wait till the 2nd rd to get a guy in this years deep class.....

Bmax

madness
02-21-2008, 08:05 AM
For us fans of drafting Kelly this is a "win"

If he does well, he could goup from the mid 1st grade many have him at. Without it, I think he will really be at 11.

Its not Kellys speed that makes him so good, its his routes, moves, and incredible hands.

He reminds me of Moulds when he came out. Hes just a bit lankier.

:goodpost:

Right on the mark and I completely agree with the Moulds comparison. On top of all that, the kid is supposed to have a great work ethic just like Eric.

People sound like they expect us to be SB contenders within the next two years. If we can lock up Evans, we need a receiver that will hit his prime alongside Edwards and Lynch. Kelly could be that guy with a veteran WR out of FA, similar to his style, to groom him.

Yasgur's Farm
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
What are you going to say? It doesn't count throwing the ball away.... It doesn't take into account poor supporting cast.... it doesn't count dropped balls?

Well, it is still the best passing stat. If you subtract attempts for throw aways, and if you could count drops as completions, it could be better. If you could somehow factor in reducing it some based on sacks, and increasing it based on lack of pocket time, then all the better.

But, as is, it is still the best at "judging" passing production. Actually, it takes all the "judging" out of it. It is strictly objective. And, although it isn't a certainty, there is no denying the high correlation between being the best QB, and having the most production.My point for bringing this up was not to bash anyone... especially gr8slayer.

But I get so sick of people using the "most overrated" label whenever a particular stat or fact doesn't fit their argument or hypothesis.

IMO... Tangibles are the facts that prove Intangibles... Not the other way around.

yordad
02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Solid plan to meAgreed

My point for bringing this up was not to bash anyone... especially gr8slayer.

But I get so sick of people using the "most overrated" label whenever a particular stat or fact doesn't fit their argument or hypothesis.

IMO... Tangibles are the facts that prove Intangibles... Not the other way around.
Agreed

Night Train
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Who cares ? We're not drafting a WR in the 1st anyhow.

Give Evans the $$, not some unproven college player. Then find a hands guy in FA or Rounds 2-4 of the draft.

X-Era
02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
2nd Round grade from NFL Exploratory Committee and 4th Round Grade by OU coaches and Staff (bias obviously) the kid is way over hyped and should of stayed in school.

Thats interesting considering you have clamored for him for a long time prior to this.

I dont agree with what they came up with and many pundits dont either including Kiper, and Mayock at the very least.

Are these the same guys that tell some kids they will be first rounders only to see them drop badly?

X-Era
02-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Hardy is better than Reed. Hardy is more of a target than Parrish. Thats a pretty profound statement EdwardsEra, outside of Evans(who aint all that), our WR corps suck donkey deek. Sweed is an upgrade. Manningham is not a possesion WR, but is still a better prospect than Reed. Reed was the 1st or second WR in his class and has been basically a bust. Bowman. Any of these guys would be a starting No.2 day one.
With Kelly not running, Hardy is now the No1 "big WR" in the draft and No3 overall.

Manningham is yet another WR that will do little in the NFL from Mich, IMO. Braylon Edwards is the best out of the group in the past decade.

Im not sure why people continue to clamor for WR's out of Mich when so many have done so little.

David Terrell
Marquise Walker
Steve Breaston
Jason Avant

Sweed can play but is injured to often. Hes bit too lanky and can disappear at times

X-Era
02-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I agree i would much rather improve our front seven then take a WR who may bring little if anything year one...We have been down this road before... Let's not pass on this years Tommie Harris or Will Smith ....

Merling, Sims or Rivers could give us a playmaker on DEF which is something we need DESPERATELY....

The FA pick up at WR should allow us to wait till the 2nd rd to get a guy in this years deep class.....

Bmax

You wont catch me saying it has to be a certain position or bust, thats not solid draft planning, IMO

Id love several of the guys you mention, but yeah, Id b e very happy if we landed Kelly.

I have 3 or 4 guys that Id love us to land at 11 at this point.

Glenn Dorsey
Sedrick Ellis
Keith Rivers
Malcolm Kelly

Id be happy with any of them.

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
You wont catch me saying it has to be a certain position or bust, thats not solid draft planning, IMO

Id love several of the guys you mention, but yeah, Id b e very happy if we landed Kelly.

I have 3 or 4 guys that Id love us to land at 11 at this point.

Glenn Dorsey (no chance in hell)
Sedrick Ellis (see Dorsey)
Keith Rivers (20% shot at best)
Malcolm Kelly ( if you like he's your guy,he'll be there)

Id be happy with any of them.

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
There are probably 7-8 WR's in this draft who could step in tommorow ahead of Reed and be our #2.

I expect us to sign one of the better WR free agents, PRAY Rivers falls to us, and if not, draft the best value at #11, which could easily end up being Kelly .

Hamilton Billsfan
02-22-2008, 07:02 PM
If he doesn't run then draft Rivers in the first and hope the other teams sour on him and we get him in the second round..............could happen......

yordad
02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
If he doesn't run then draft Rivers in the first and hope the other teams sour on him and we get him in the second round..............could happen......That would be pretty sweet. Of course it isn't likely, but stranger things have happened.

There are probably 7-8 WR's in this draft who could step in tommorow ahead of Reed and be our #2.

I expect us to sign one of the better WR free agents, PRAY Rivers falls to us, and if not, draft the best value at #11, which could easily end up being Kelly .Right on.

Devin
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
:pray: we dont draft a WR in round 1.

X-Era
02-23-2008, 07:17 AM

I expect us to sign one of the better WR free agents, PRAY Rivers falls to us, and if not, draft the best value at #11, which could easily end up being Kelly .

I dont see that.

I dont see 7-8 WR's that are legit #2 WR's. I want an upgrade to Reed, yes, there probably are several WR's who would be that. But no, I dont see 7-8 who ALSO are worthy to be a #2 WR right out of the gate.

DraftBoy
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Thats interesting considering you have clamored for him for a long time prior to this.

I dont agree with what they came up with and many pundits dont either including Kiper, and Mayock at the very least.

Are these the same guys that tell some kids they will be first rounders only to see them drop badly?

Yep bought into the hype, I admit it

Pundits are the people who are grading these kids as sure fire first rounders just to see them fall badly, not the exploratory comittee, they are usually very accurate.

DraftBoy
02-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I dont see that.

I dont see 7-8 WR's that are legit #2 WR's. I want an upgrade to Reed, yes, there probably are several WR's who would be that. But no, I dont see 7-8 who ALSO are worthy to be a #2 WR right out of the gate.

1, Malcolm Kelly
2. Early Doucet
3. Adarius Bowman
4. Devin Thomas
5. Limas Sweed
6. James Hardy
7. DJ Hall
8. Earl Bennett
9. Jordy Nelson
10. DeSean Jackson
11. Mario Manningham
12. Andre Caldwell

Id say there about 12 guys who could be a better pure WR at the #2 slot then Reed.