PDA

View Full Version : The case against drafting Rivers

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Inexperience

More importantly the complete inexperience it would bring to the LB Corps. DiGiorgio is a capable backup but not starting material. Posluzny looks like he has the potential to be a good MLB for several years but has started only 3 games. After drafting Rivers at No11, we could hardly expect him to learn behind Ellison.

A LB Corps of "Crowell-Posluzny-Rivers" is incredibly inexperienced considering the inability of the DL to stop the run and the difficulty in learning the Cover2 defence.

A WR could learn from Evans and Reed, whilst any R1 pick on the DL would be surrounded by several years experience when starting.

Whilst we have a decent roster, our No1 needs to be a starter from Day1.

Picking up a Free Agent LB, whether a SLB or WLB, will allow some our younger LBs breathing space to develop and I include Posluzny, DiGiorgio and Ellison here. And LB is the best represented position in FA at present.

We can always draft one of the top LBs coming out in 2009 especially if Crowell leaves.

The No11 needs to go on a Day1 starter like a WR, a DL or even a CB where they will join a unit with experienced players to learn from

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
the case for him.

1- He could end up being the next Cornelius Bennet.

2- LB's have made a good early transition to the NFL. The last two defensive ROY's have been LB's: Patrick Willis and DeMarco Ryans.

I wouldn't worry about experience right now.. This team is already dreadfully young. I'm more worried about talent.

L.A. Playa
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Rivers has played for a pro team for the last 4 years

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Good post, kb. I have never been a fan of drafting a linebacker in the first round, and your experience argument gives me one more reason. I like WR, DT, or even DE at 11.

The Jokeman
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Inexperience

More importantly the complete inexperience it would bring to the LB Corps. DiGiorgio is a capable backup but not starting material. Posluzny looks like he has the potential to be a good MLB for several years but has started only 3 games. After drafting Rivers at No11, we could hardly expect him to learn behind Ellison.

A LB Corps of "Crowell-Posluzny-Rivers" is incredibly inexperienced considering the inability of the DL to stop the run and the difficulty in learning the Cover2 defence.

A WR could learn from Evans and Reed, whilst any R1 pick on the DL would be surrounded by several years experience when starting.

Whilst we have a decent roster, our No1 needs to be a starter from Day1.

Picking up a Free Agent LB, whether a SLB or WLB, will allow some our younger LBs breathing space to develop and I include Posluzny, DiGiorgio and Ellison here. And LB is the best represented position in FA at present.

We can always draft one of the top LBs coming out in 2009 especially if Crowell leaves.

The No11 needs to go on a Day1 starter like a WR, a DL or even a CB where they will join a unit with experienced players to learn from
The argument for taking Rivers at pick 11 is he's going to be the best player at that spot. Not to mention he fits a need. Add to that a rookie LB will probably make a quicker impact then a rookie WR. So all things considered think Rivers makes the most sense for both the short and long term assuming we sign a veteran WR in free agency.

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Rivers has played for a pro team for the last 4 years

I was under the impression that the USC Trojans are a college side?

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
the case for him.

2- LB's have made a good early transition to the NFL. The last two defensive ROY's have been LB's: Patrick Willis and DeMarco Ryans.

I wouldn't worry about experience right now.. This team is already dreadfully young. I'm more worried about talent.

Both Willis and Ryans got noticed playing on shocklingly bad teams. I'm not sure I want us there.

We can pick up Free Agent talent at LB

As it stands talent at DT and WR in Free Agency is marginal so if we really want to improve the team, we sign free agents where there is plenty of choice at the position, and draft at positions where there is plenty of depth.

Drafting a LB, when there is plenty of choice in free agency and settling for a medicore free agent WR or DT when we could draft a star makes little sense. We have 3 positions to fill - LB, DT, WR, and waiting to Day2 to hope to draft a starter is risky.

I think we should sign a free agent LB, draft a WR and DT in Rounds 1 & 2 or visa versa and we have 3 starters especially as its arguable whether Rivers is even the best LB in this draft.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I know our draft is largely dependent on who we pick up in free agency. But looking at our roster right now, our D is not going to improve significantly without a run stuffing DT, and our O will not get appreciably better without a complimentary WR for Evans.

They are more important than an OLB.

DraftBoy
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I know our draft is largely dependent on who we pick up in free agency. But looking at our roster right now, our D is not going to improve significantly without a run stuffing DT, and our O will not get appreciably better without a complimentary WR for Evans.

They are more important than an OLB.

There is nobody as a realistic option to be a DT or #2 WR at 11, our position kind of sucks

hydro
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I was under the impression that the USC Trojans are a college side?
:whoosh:

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 11:03 AM
There is nobody as a realistic option to be a DT or #2 WR at 11, our position kind of sucks

Well after the combine there will be risers and fallers. We may have to reach for DT or WR help.

Or we may have the opportunity to trade down especially if the Bears, the Vikings, the Buccaneers and maybe even the Panthers get in a squabble over Brohm.

However the LB class is weak this year, which helps explain a little of the 'buzz' around Rivers.

Does he look good, because of the poverty of alternatives to him? He may end up being as big a reach as others.

Certainly as stats compared to Xavier Adibi suggest his reputation proceeds his production.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I know, but assuming the two best DTs - Dorsey and Ellis - are gone, I don't think Malcom Kelly would be a big stretch at 11. I've looked at a few draft guides, and he is considered by most to be the best WR in the draft, and is rated between 11 and 20. Balmer might be too much of a stretch, though.

The Jokeman
02-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I know, but assuming the two best DTs - Dorsey and Ellis - are gone, I don't think Malcom Kelly would be a big stretch at 11. I've looked at a few draft guides, and he is considered by most to be the best WR in the draft, and is rated between 11 and 20. Balmer might be too much of a stretch, though.
Kelly isn't a bad selection at 11 but IMHO I'd prefer going elsewhere as feel can get a quality WR in Round 2 such as Adarius Bowman or Devin Thomas.

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Its only mid February.. But I will bet anybody whatever ZB they want to be that if Keith Rivers is on the board at 11 he's coming to Buffalo, and it will take Modrak about 45 seconds to announce the pick.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 12:39 PM
the case for him.

The problem, as with any draft pick, is that he could also be the next Brian Bosworth or Andy Katzenmoyer.

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I think it's absurds to make guarentee's about the draft in February.

But if the Bills do not sign a FA like Briggs (never) , Pace or even say a Boss Bailey.

I will GUARENTEE you that Rivers will be our pick if he's there at 11.. He is EXACTLY the kind of LB this defense needs.

Having said that, it's probably a moot point becuase I do not see him getting past Cincinnati, unless Ellis is somehow still on the board.

DraftBoy
02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I think it's absurds to make guarentee's about the draft in February....I will GUARENTEE you that Rivers will be our pick if he's there at 11.. He is EXACTLY the kind of LB this defense needs.

Did you seriously just contradict yourself in the same post? Yes I know I edited but one sentence you say its absurd and then two sentences late you make your own guarantee?

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
yes.. I forgot to add "But I guarentee"
So yes, I did contradict myself unintentionally.

Well, sort of anyway.. I said UNLESS the Bills sign a LB that matters in FA, then I will guarentee.. So maybe "then" and not "but" would be the right word.

Irrelevant, because he's going to be like WIllis last year.. He'll go 1-3 picks ahead of us.

Confused
02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I dont see Rivers being there at 11. I think there is better value in Adibi or Highsmith at OLB. I highly doubt K.Rivers is the next Biscuit. I also doubt any longterm plans that involve the development of Ellison. He sux balls.

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
If the rumours are true that we tried to sign Jimmy Kennedy last season but he wouldn't take a 2 year deal, this might be a recognition we need to get bigger in the interior of the DL as a priority and I would not be surprised if there is some manouvering to get a player like Balmer or Sims by trading down even if we don't get the normal value we would expect.

This doesn't concern me too much because there is considerable depth at positions which are of interest to us like TE, and WR and we could easily get 3 decent players in R3 - the likes of John Carlson, Justin King TE and maybe a C of the future like Justice added to a DT and WR on Day 1.

Don't Panic
02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
WRs take longer to develop than anybody, even some QBs. If you're going to argue that you'd rather not wait for a pick to develop, you shouldn't be advocating a WR then. If Rivers could do anything close to what Willis did for the Niners this year and he was there at #11, I can't see logically passing on him.

Ron Burgundy
02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I think you're right...we should draft a player with NFL experience.

I want a starter with the #11 pick. And you can put vets all around whoever we draft...he's still gonna be rooktits and take some time to develop.

Besides, it's up to the coaches to teach these guys, not the surrounding players. Veteran leadership is nice and all but we need some talent.

Don't get me wrong. I can see several arguments against Rivers, but this is weak.

PECKERWOOD
02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Either way we are inexperienced at the majority of our positions so getting Rivers will be just another drop in the bucket. Also, I'd rather have a young and inexperienced player with potential versus an experienced player who has already capped out at a mediocre level. Keith Rivers lack of NFL experience will have a minimal effect on the outcome of our team, if anything we would benefit from having a guy like Rivers. Are you saying that an experienced veteran like Coy Wire would do a better job or something?

John Doe
02-23-2008, 07:03 AM
However the LB class is weak this year, which helps explain a little of the 'buzz' around Rivers.

Mike Mayock predicts that 6 out of the first 36 selections will be outside linebackers. That sounds like a fairly strong class.