PDA

View Full Version : SD Tribune has Buffalo 7th in Cap Room

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080221/news_1s21nfllist.html
According to the San Diego Tribune, we're 7th most under the cap in the league.

Various newspapers and sites have differing cap amounts. But two things are certain.
1- We are in really good shape cap wise
2- We have minimal money to worry about in regards to retaining our own FA.

In a nutshell, there isn't an excuse in the world to not make this football team better in a few important positions over the next month or so.

Confused
02-21-2008, 01:00 PM
never happen.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Great news. The problem is getting Ralph to spend it.

ddaryl
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Ralph spent plenty of cash last offseason so I don't see or even understand how anyone would think this year will be different. We'll bring in a couple of UFA's that WILL improve our team

also this list is much different then other lists.

Bulldog
02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
The NFL Netwok had Buffalo with the 3rd most cap room.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Ralph spent plenty of cash last offseason so I don't see or even understand how anyone would think this year will be different. We'll bring in a couple of UFA's that WILL improve our team

I'd love to see us nail 2 or 3 quality free agents. Then, with another good draft, we just might turn the corner.

JD
02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I just want to see Poz play

JJamezz
02-21-2008, 02:10 PM

I still don't understand this cash to cap thing.. Yeah, they spend a ton of money on Dockery and Walker, but weren't they still ~20-something million under the cap throughout the season?

Mitchy moo
02-21-2008, 02:15 PM
My great uncle's nephew's brother's next door neighbor has Buffalo.............

Please let Clump do the calculations and then we will know where we are at. I really don't give a rats azz what other places think either, we have a boatload of money to spend.

Bulldog
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
In a nutshell, instead of spreading the signing bonus over the length of the contract like most teams do, Buffalo is going to count the entire bonus towards the cap for the year in which the deal was signed. So if a player gets a 5 year, $40 million deal with a $15 million signing bonus, he will count $20 million towards buffalo's cap for the first year of the deal. The $15 million bonus plus the $5 million base salary he'll be paid. The downside is that Buffalo won't have a ton of money to spend doing the accounting this way. The upside is that the player will only count $5 million towards the cap the following year, allowing Buffalo to pursue other free agents.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
You have to wonder if all of these varying amounts from all these different sources are including the somewhat esoteric figures of the "Like to Be Earned" ("LTBE") incentives, which may effectively be adding $13 million dollars (according to Clump) to our available amount under 'CTTC' and the total salary cap. I saw another source this morning regarding LTBE that corroborated Clump's figures.

Mitchy moo
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
The upside is that the player will only count $5 million towards the cap the following year, allowing Buffalo to pursue other free agents.

This is the upside year.

Bulldog
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
This is the upside year.

To a certain degree yes. Because of the cash to cap, Bufflao will once again be able to go after a couple of higher priced free agents. But again, sticking to the cash to cap approach, that cap space will be used quickly when signing bonuses are factored into the mix. Basically, all I can really see the cash to cap accomplishing is that Buffalo will never be in a position where they have to completely purge their roster due to salary cap constraints. I see it as a way to consistantly field a competitive team, but I don't know if it will be enough to ever put them over the top.

streetkings01
02-21-2008, 03:26 PM
To a certain degree yes. Because of the cash to cap, Bufflao will once again be able to go after a couple of higher priced free agents. But again, sticking to the cash to cap approach, that cap space will be used quickly when signing bonuses are factored into the mix. Basically, all I can really see the cash to cap accomplishing is that Buffalo will never be in a position where they have to completely purge their roster due to salary cap constraints. I see it as a way to consistantly field a competitive team, but I don't know if it will be enough to ever put them over the top.Thats what good drafting is for!

John Doe
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
To a certain degree yes. Because of the cash to cap, Bufflao will once again be able to go after a couple of higher priced free agents. But again, sticking to the cash to cap approach, that cap space will be used quickly when signing bonuses are factored into the mix. Basically, all I can really see the cash to cap accomplishing is that Buffalo will never be in a position where they have to completely purge their roster due to salary cap constraints. I see it as a way to consistantly field a competitive team, but I don't know if it will be enough to ever put them over the top.

According to The Buffalo News, about 2/3 of the teams in the NFL use "cash to cap." I don't know if this is true or not, but that is what they contend:

The cash-to-cap philosophy that the Bills employ — along with roughly two-thirds of the rest of the league — should impact the Bills’ spending to about the same degree as it did last year. The Bills have roughly $44 million to spend in base salaries and bonuses that they pay out this year before they hit $116 million in real cash. That’s roughly how much they used up last year in signing free agents and rookies.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/280649.html

TigerJ
02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
According to The Buffalo News, about 2/3 of the teams in the NFL use "cash to cap." I don't know if this is true or not, but that is what they contend:
Let me guess. Dan Snyder of the Redskins is among the owners who don't use cash to cap.

I know Philadelphia is one team with a history of using unattainable bonuses written into player contracts to build cap room in following years when they have cap space they don't need. Buffalo did that with Schobel's contract last year, and it actually improved their cap position this offseason.

John Doe
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Let me guess. Dan Snyder of the Redskins is among the owners who don't use cash to cap.

Snyder's system is known as "cash to crap." Don't confuse the two.

TacklingDummy
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080221/news_1s21nfllist.html
According to the San Diego Tribune, we're 7th most under the cap in the league.

Various newspapers and sites have differing cap amounts. But two things are certain.
1- We are in really good shape cap wise
2- We have minimal money to worry about in regards to retaining our own FA.

In a nutshell, there isn't an excuse in the world to not make this football team better in a few important positions over the next month or so.

It's great that the Bills have alot of cap room. The only problem is, do the Bills(Ralph) actually have the money to spend?