PDA

View Full Version : Chargers trying to trade Neal.....

gr8slayer
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
The Chargers are trying to trade FB Lorenzo Neal. Neal had requested a release, knowing that he doesn't have a big role in Norv Turner's offense, but the team refused. They will try to trade him, but it will be tough to find a anything better than a late-round pick for a 37-year-old coming off a broken leg.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I'd stay away from him.

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd stay away from him.
why?
I bet you Marshawn Lynch isn't sharing those sentiments. Even if he's old and is a 2-year stop gap, he knocks linebackers on their ass.

It's not against league rules to have at least a couple of older vets with experience and leadership on the team, yanno.

gr8slayer
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Neal > Schmitt

Jan Reimers
02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
why?
I bet you Marshawn Lynch isn't sharing those sentiments. Even if he's old and is a 2-year stop gap, he knocks linebackers on their ass.

It's not against league rules to have at least a couple of older vets with experience and leadership on the team, yanno.
At 37, and coming off an injury, guys don't usually get better.

Frankly, I've seen too many Lawyer Milloy's, Troy Vincent's, and Robinson's (I forget his first name, but he almost broke his ankles trying to make a tackle against the Jets) to feel good about a 15 year guy coming off a broken leg.

And "yanno," I'm all for experienced leadership. I'm all for Alge Crumpler. But I'm not for guys so old that they are not only past their prime, they can't even remember it.

RockStar36
02-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd take him in a second.

The King
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Neal is the best FB of his time... so he's 37 he's better than anyone on our roster now... by a giant margin. Do a one year deal.

Jaybird
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
6 round pick

patmoran2006
02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
At 37, and coming off an injury, guys don't usually get better.

Frankly, I've seen too many Lawyer Milloy's, Troy Vincent's, and Robinson's (I forget his first name, but he almost broke his ankles trying to make a tackle against the Jets) to feel good about a 15 year guy coming off a broken leg.

And "yanno," I'm all for experienced leadership. I'm all for Alge Crumpler. But I'm not for guys so old that they are not only past their prime, they can't even remember it.
I would still sign him to a modest 2-year deal, which if he wants to play still and there isn't much out there for him to take, he probably would.

Have you forgotten how PATHETIC we were running the ball up the middle or in short yardage? neal, even if for only one year, maybe two would make a difference.

raphael120
02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I'VE HEARD....eh forget it...

Mad Max
02-21-2008, 05:03 PM
If we were >_< this close to competing for anything I would bring Neal on in a heartbeat. But guess what? We're not close at all. So let's plan for the long term, say 3 years, by then LoNeal will be a non-factor. Let's try and prep someone who will be around then, maybe Wright?

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
NO NO NO WAY

2 possible free agents that would not cost a draft pick

Dan Kreider, Pittsburgh Steelers, 31years old (6years younger) 5ft11, 255lbs

Zak Keasey, 49ers, 26years old (11 years younger) 6ft, 245lbs and helped lead the way for Frank Gore to run for over 1,100yds

Any sort of deal for Neal, including one involving giving up any draft pick in whatever round would be an act of insanity.

hydro
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I heard them talk about this on NFL All Access this afternoon. Mora was saying that he thinks he still has a lot in the tank seeing as he hasn't had a lot of field time in the past few years.

Michael82
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd offer a 5th or 6th round draft pick in a heartbeat! That guy can still hit like a train!

RockStar36
02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
If we were >_< this close to competing for anything I would bring Neal on in a heartbeat. But guess what? We're not close at all. So let's plan for the long term, say 3 years, by then LoNeal will be a non-factor. Let's try and prep someone who will be around then, maybe Wright?

First of all, anything can happen between now and next season. The Bills were pretty damn close to a playoff spot with a ton of holes, injuries, etc.

That being said, assuming the Bills FO thinks they are three years away, that is the worse way possible to look at this situation.

Eh, Lorenzo, you're really good but we suck so we're not even gonna try and improve. We'll just plan for a few years down the road when some rookie might be good.

Mr. Pink
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
6th for Neal would be a steal and a deal I would do in a heartbeat.

Even if Neal only has 1 more season left in the tank.

He's basically an extra guard in a running back's number.

Mad Max
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
......We'll just plan for a few years down the road when some rookie might be good.

Hoping that "some rookie migh be good" would be a foolish stance to take of course as most guys need time to develop. That's why we should plan for the future by >developing< a guy now (maybe Wright, maybe someone else) so that we'll be firing on all cylinders when we are ready.

kernowboy
02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
but Kreider is just as good if not better

and guess what? He's a UFA so no pick need be wasted

Philagape
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Zach Thomas ... Crumpler .. Neal ....

If we sign the broken-down 30-something club, we better make a serious run at a Super Bowl this year, or else what's the point? Are we there yet?

gr8slayer
02-21-2008, 06:42 PM

If we sign the broken-down 30-something club, we better make a serious run at a Super Bowl this year, or else what's the point? Are we there yet?
Damn near every team in the league is calling up Thomas and Crumpler for an interview. It's nothing out of the ordinary that we would do the same.

Michael82
02-21-2008, 08:55 PM
but Kreider is just as good if not better

and guess what? He's a UFA so no pick need be wasted
Good point. Kreider is very underrated. I would definitely have no problem with bringing him in either. :up:

Mr. Miyagi
02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
No thanks. At this point he's nothing but his well known name.

kernowboy
02-22-2008, 04:02 AM
My concern with using draft picks for veteran players in their 30s is that while a number of Day2 picks never make it out of training camp, there's always one or two that turn into a Marques Colston !!!

Watching MSN Foxsports, Alex Marvez said the one thing about this years draft was that it was 'EVEN' in terms of talent. Whilst he was referring to the top of the draft, I think that could equate across the board, and this means there will be still a lot of decent talent well into Day2 left on the draft boards.

We could well end up with a pretty decent DT in the rotation, a OG or C who can push into the lineup, a CB who might be able to step up, a decent LB yet we'll be crying into our beers because we'll have spent a pick in a very deep draft on a 37year old.

And whilst Neal has had a fine career, can anybody expect him to continue to reach those heights?

Dan Kreider is a top FB and only 31. He's blocked to allow his RBs, sometimes individually sometimes by committee, to continually exceed 1,000yds in his 7 year career, including blocks that have hammered the likes of Ray Lewis.

As a free agent, he costs no draft picks, has a good 3-4 years left in his legs, has played in a cold weather climate, and is at least the equal if not superior to Neal as well as being a huge upgrade over Barnes.

Full Backs tend to have multiple teams. Even Neal has played for several. The fact that Kreider has played for one, and was rookie of the year for the Steelers as an undrafted free agent shows just how highly regarded he is.

Jan Reimers
02-22-2008, 04:58 AM
I would still sign him to a modest 2-year deal, which if he wants to play still and there isn't much out there for him to take, he probably would.

Have you forgotten how PATHETIC we were running the ball up the middle or in short yardage? neal, even if for only one year, maybe two would make a difference.
No, I haven't forgotten, and I'm a big supporter of having a true fullback. I'm just leary of 37 year old players coming off injuries. They too often go down hill over night.

Bring in Kreider or Keasey, as mentioned by kernowboy, and I'll be much happier.

Jan Reimers
02-22-2008, 05:02 AM

The future is yesterday.

colin
02-22-2008, 07:17 AM
hmm,

i think this schmidt kid might be a very good one out of the draft, but he is projected as a 4th which means someone in the 3rd might take a shot at him.

i'd do a 7 for neal (he won't be cheap, not by fullback standards), but we are working FB into our O, so he might not want to be in on like 40% of snaps.

we'll see, but i wouldn't mind him on the team.

bigbub2352
02-22-2008, 09:12 AM
way too old for a FB, i would luv him 6yrs ago
Even though he has done a great job, just not a direction this team is going, dont need 1yr deals

DraftBoy
02-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Sign Kreider save the pick

Bert102176
02-22-2008, 09:55 AM
I like Neal a lot but I would rather us get schmitt in the 3rd or 4th but I think he would be gone by our 4th round pick

DraftBoy
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I like Neal a lot :up:

but I would rather us get schmitt in the 3rd or 4th but I think he would be gone by our 4th round pick :down:

gr8slayer
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
This obsession with Schmitt is just ridiculous. I really question the football IQ of people wanting us to spend a high round pick on a position that is being phased out all over football.

hydro
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
This obsession with Schmitt is just ridiculous. I really question the football IQ of people wanting us to spend a high round pick on a position that is being phased out all over football.

HE BREAKS HELMETS DAMNIT!

gr8slayer
02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
HE BREAKS HELMETS DAMNIT!
I don't give a **** what he does, it's a stupid pick. Unless he can stop the run, step into RG and block, sack a QB, or play DB we don't need him.

We have far too many other HUGE NEEDS that don't include FB.

yordad
02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
What the heck do they plan to get? A couple footballs and a backup punter?