PDA

View Full Version : Campbell expected to reject latest offer

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230260&hubname=nhl

The Buffalo Sabres and defenceman Brian Campbell are still a ways apart on a new contract, as the veteran defenceman and his agent Larry Kelly are expected to turn down the team's latest multi-year offer.

Sources told TSN that the deal, offered Wednesday, is a three-year contract averaging less than $6 million a season.

Campbell, who will become an unrestricted free agent on July, is making $1.75 million this year and is among several big names rumoured to be on the move going into Tuesday's trade deadline.

Campbell is fourth on the team with 41 points (four goals, 37 assists) and ranks ninth among NHL defencemen in scoring.

In his eighth year with the Sabres, Campbell is coming off a career season, when he had 48 points (six goals, 42 assists) in 82 games last year.

Dr. Lecter
02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/02/21/campbell_sabres/

Sportsnet.ca -- Sportsnet has learned the Buffalo Sabres recently made a formal offer to Brian Campbell that the all-star defenceman rejected.

Sources said the Sabres were set to make Brian Campbell among the top-paid defenceman in the league but the stumbling block remained the length of the deal which was believed to be only in the three-year range.

Nighthawk
02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Now, I would be OK with the SAbres trading him, but what is this FO doing? Why the hell would you offer a 3 year deal? That's plain ignorant! If you want the guy, offer him a 5 year deal and be done with it. If you don't want him, trade him and be done with it. Just don't insult the player's intelligence. This FO is freakin' ******ed...I'm sorry, but they just are.

Dr. Lecter
02-21-2008, 09:38 PM
The only thing I can think is that they are going to follow up with a 5 or 6 year deal at 5.5 - more years and less per year.

LABillsFan
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I think you're right

Nighthawk
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
The only thing I can think is that they are going to follow up with a 5 or 6 year deal at 5.5 - more years and less per year.

Maybe, but they just make themselves look stupid when they try to deal with players this way. I'm OK with 5.5 million over 5 years, but I wouldn't want them to pay him anymore than that.

raphael120
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah Im sorry but this is total bull****.

The front office is very incompetant, I mean...really....why would you only offer 3 years? He's going to be very good for years to come...this is infuriating.

If they want to follow up with a 5.5 or something cheaper, how the hell cheap are you when it comes down to maybe saving 2 million over the span of 3 years???

REDICULOUS!

RockStar36
02-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Trade him

Michael82
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
3 year deal!?! What a dumb idea! Come on Golisano! Open up your wallet and give him a 6 year deal for $5-6 million per year. He'll sign it. Just offer it.

BlackMetalNinja
02-21-2008, 10:03 PM
He's going to get 5 years, 6 million per and he knows it... We either need to just pony it up or move him by Tuesday, plain and simple. Quit dickin around already.

hydro
02-21-2008, 10:10 PM
They have really made a mockery of this whole situation.

Mitchy moo
02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
This FO tries to play cat and mouse with everyone they deal with, they will never learn.

Do we really want Tom G. in charge of the Bills FO?? I pray for someone else to keep them in Buffalo.

LABillsFan
02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
What is with the posturing, I mean really, both sides know what his value would be on the open market, it's not like you're buying a used car and being nervous you're going to get ripped off.

hydro
02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
What is with the posturing, I mean really, both sides know what his value would be on the open market, it's not like you're buying a used car and being nervous you're going to get ripped off.

It's as if they think they are going to trick him into signing a deal on their terms. He has the upper hand here and they need to realize that.

Philagape
02-21-2008, 10:22 PM
It's always the length of the deal. Our FO is a bunch of timid chicken**** pussies that don't want to commit long-term until they're forced to. If we had an owner who gave a crap, they would be so fired. Unless the owner is one of the pussies too.

Michael82
02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
It's always the length of the deal. Our FO is a bunch of timid chicken**** pussies that don't want to commit long-term until they're forced to. If we had an owner who gave a crap, they would be so fired. Unless the owner is one of the pussies too.
Great post! :bf1:

Dr. Lecter
02-22-2008, 06:07 AM
3 year deal!?! What a dumb idea! Come on Golisano! Open up your wallet and give him a 6 year deal for $5-6 million per year. He'll sign it. Just offer it.

You can't give him 6 million.

Vanke = 7 million
Campbell = 6 million
Roy = 4 million
Miller = 6 miller (To be)

That is 23 million in 4 guys. Add in that players like Paille and Stafford are coming up as RFA's. And that Campbell is not even the Sabres best D-man.

Part of the reality is, the Sabres, since they have developed a number of talented players are going to lose them in today's NHL regardless of what they do.

Michael82
02-22-2008, 06:30 AM
You can't give him 6 million.

Vanke = 7 million
Campbell = 6 million
Roy = 4 million
Miller = 6 miller (To be)

That is 23 million in 4 guys. Add in that players like Paille and Stafford are coming up as RFA's. And that Campbell is not even the Sabres best D-man.

Part of the reality is, the Sabres, since they have developed a number of talented players are going to lose them in today's NHL regardless of what they do.
Sorry Lecter...but you have to give him $6 million (it's actually a fair price if it's long term). The reality is that the NHL salaries are jumping up just as fast as before, or faster. The cap will probably be near $70 million in a couple years. And you are fooling yourself if you believe that they will be able to sign Ryan Miller for $6 million per season. He's a pretty good goalie, plus he is the leader and true captain of this team. I see him costing $7-8 million per year.

Dr. Lecter
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Sorry Lecter...but you have to give him $6 million (it's actually a fair price if it's long term). The reality is that the NHL salaries are jumping up just as fast as before, or faster. The cap will probably be near $70 million in a couple years. And you are fooling yourself if you believe that they will be able to sign Ryan Miller for $6 million per season. He's a pretty good goalie, plus he is the leader and true captain of this team. I see him costing $7-8 million per year.

It does not matter if it is the fair price. It will be too much money in the long term and it will tie up too much money in 4 guys.

And how do you get the $70 million figure? Have revenues increased that much?

And if Miller gets that much, that just jacks my scenario up to $25 million. Even at $70 million that is over a third of tha cap in 4 players.

How do they pay Paille? Stafford? Tallinder? Conolly? Pominville?

don137
02-22-2008, 07:04 AM
The question is can you pay someone who is your best offensive defensman but is average at defense 6MM a year. In the long run will this hurt the team? Without a big TV contract these escalating salaries are going to paid by raising ticket prices. I am very mixed on Campbell. He is great on offense but I think a 6MM contract will suck up too much salary cap.

BlackMetalNinja
02-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Developing all this talent at home comes with a price. We've increased all their values so that we simply won't be able to afford to keep them all in the long run. That's the curse of the success we've had the past few years.

Michael82
02-22-2008, 08:36 AM
It does not matter if it is the fair price. It will be too much money in the long term and it will tie up too much money in 4 guys.

And how do you get the $70 million figure? Have revenues increased that much?

And if Miller gets that much, that just jacks my scenario up to $25 million. Even at $70 million that is over a third of tha cap in 4 players.

How do they pay Paille? Stafford? Tallinder? Conolly? Pominville?
Stafford? Connolly? :yawn:

bigbub2352
02-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Gotta Love Larry Quinn, this guy truly is an *******, Maybe this is not our best offer, regardless, then will come back with more years and proally 5mil a season, and it will get rejected, then we wont trade him because we dont want to look like sellers and they will say we will go at it again before July 1st, then he will walk for like 7mil a season

All of this could have been avoided if u signed him last year, after we lost out on Breire and Drury and didnt sign anyone, Here is were the mismanagemnt continues, lets go out and sign Teppo useless at over 3mill a season but not give ur best young defenseman the contract he deserves before he hits FA, and u would have signed him cheaper

Seriously **** this front office
We r the Minor League of the NHL
Develop for everyone else

Dr. Lecter
02-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Stafford? Connolly? :yawn:

Stafford is 22 years old and will only get better.

Connolly, when healthy, is probably the Sabres best or second best forward. Have you noticed how much better the PP is with him in the line-up?

Or do you want 4 players and 16 Mike Ryans?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Soupy isn't worth 5-6 years guys. Of course if they do this crap to Miller when he's due then I may have a different view.

raphael120
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
When it comes down to Campbell or Miller, I say bye bye Campbell and be able to sign Miller to a long term deal. He deserves it, he's one of the best goalies in the league and part of the reason why we won most of our games when our offense sucked major balls.

JD
02-22-2008, 04:01 PM
**** it.

Im ready for some Sekera and a little bit of Funk in my life.