X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Allan Muir's deals that make sense

Buffalo sends Brian Campbell to San Jose for Devin Setoguchi, Dan Spang and a 2009 first-rounder

Ideally, Buffalo gets Campbell under contract before Feb. 26, because they can't afford another talent -- and public relations -- hit like the one they suffered last summer. But if his demands are deemed exorbitant, there are several teams who'll pony up for his short-term services. The Sharks have been looking for a mobile, reliable puck-moving defender all season, and Campbell has the skills to power their postseason aspirations. They also have the system depth to part with an elite prospect like Setoguchi, a former first-rounder who could mature into the high-end scorer the Sabres crave. Spang is pegged as a defensive blueliner who could play on the second unit.
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

Re: Allan Muir's deals that make sense

How do 2 Minor leaguers and a draft choice help the Sabres this year? I think he's reaching here.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LABillsFan
      How do 2 Minor leaguers and a draft choice help the Sabres this year? I think he's reaching here.
      They don't. It would mean the Sabres are sellers instead of buyers this year.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• LABillsFan
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
        They don't. It would mean the Sabres are sellers instead of buyers this year.
        Maybe I'm dreaming, but sitting in 7th, and with the schedule being what it is, they could be very well in 5th if not 4th, Montreal still has their west coast trip to make, Boston doesn't have a cake walk in March, a 4-5 game roll by the Sabres could very well put them in a much better position. Wait a minute, this is the Sabres, why would they try and improve their chances of going deep into the playoffs again. Never mind.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

The thing is, a team that wants Campbell, a pending UFA, wouldn't want to give up substantial current talent because they'd be trying to make a run at the Cup. He'd be a rental for that purpose.

So, if we don't sign him long term, the choices are keep him and lose him for nothing, or trade him for prospects.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

It's a good ploy by his agent, I know. I'd like to see him stay and not have to take what is offered for the sake of it being better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X