• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Jauron Is Looking For A Big 2 Gap DT

It's in Allen Wilsons' Buffalo News article this morning. He wants the big run stuffer/clogger, which is not the norm for the Cover 2. So that brings a lot more prospects into the picture for DT. Sounds like the Bills finally recognize that they cannot stop the run with the current lineup and scheme.

He also stated the FA market is getting thin with all the tags being applied but he's still interested in finding a vet DT and #2 WR, prior to the Draft.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Jauron Is Looking For A Big 2 Gap DT

That's good news. Sounds like we're backing off the Cover 2 to some extent, or at least modifying it.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

If we go after a DT and a WR in the same manner we snagged Dockery and Walker last year, and also picked up a TE and LB of some kind during FA I'd be very content going into the draft.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

This is very good news.

The only concern however is a lack of depth and quality in Free Agency at these positions.

Of the DTs left I think only Randy Starks merits a look as he's big enough to stuff the run, but can also get into the backfield on occasion. At WR, there are too many No3 WRs trying to convince us that they can become No2s. There are very few TEs either with maybe Eric Johnson the standout as an UFA.

Whilst this may change as teams re-evaluate their rosters, the only position where there is any FA depth is LB. Jauron doesn't seem to have mentioned this position, suggesting they believe that a LB corps is only as good as DL which allows them to make positive rather than negative plays.

I would not be surprised if the likes of Pat Sims, Balmer and Dre Moore appear very high in our considerations on Day1 of the draft along with a true No2 WR. Any combination of Malcolm Kelly/Dre Moore or Pat Sims/Adarius Bowman would suit me, and it is quite possible that with a good combine and interview some of these guys will move up the charts.

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

This is a welcome change... I don't see why we can't still run the Cover 2 with one DT who serves as the two-gap run-stuffer. You're still sending 3 DL every play, and you take away (or diminsh the effectiveness of) the run up the middle (which I can still envision torching us on several occassions last season). I guess the key to making this switch is having 3 other DL who can get in the backfield consistently (which I would argue we don't have), so maybe there's a big shake-up in stor with DL personnel.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Offer something to Green Bay for Corey Williams. I bet they would trade him, as they already have a couple solid DTs.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

lazy *****

Jauron acknowledged that wide receiver, a pass receiving tight end and run-stuffing defensive tackle are the Bills’ biggest needs.

Wide receiver and defensive tackle are two positions he’d like to address in free agency. The tight end position is up in the air. Robert Royal is the only proven one on the roster. The Bills did sign Teyo Johnson and Jauron wants to bring back Michael Gaines, an unrestricted free agent.

The Bills are looking for a receiver to start opposite Lee Evans. They also want a bigger target because their top four wideouts are under 6-foot.

Jauron didn’t mention any names, but Chicago’s Bernard Berrian, Jacksonville’s Ernest Wilford, Seattle’s D.J. Hackett, New Orleans’ Devery Henderson and Arizona’s Bryant Johnson fit that description.

“Nothing against the guys we have now because I like those guys,” Jauron said. “But a bigger receiver would be a little bit different addition to fill our offense out. That way, we give opponents a number of different looks and a number of different problems.”

Jauron also said the team wants a bigger defensive tackle who can hold gaps and occupy blockers. That class narrowed a bit with Albert Haynes-worth (Tennessee) and Corey Williams (Green Bay) getting franchised by their teams. But San Francisco’s Isaako Sopoaga is among the other candidates.
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Henderson and Berrain are under 6ft I believe.

Comment

• colin
                  Drew's my hero!
                  • Jul 2002

minni runs a cover 2 variant w big tackles.

god phat pat would look awesome in a bills uni.

frankly, big run stuffer + big wr in fa = sean rogers and roy william from his old team.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Thank God!! Maybe if Fewell would grow some nuts and get more aggressive with his blitzes ala New York Giants then I would feel much better.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

Awesome to hear this because I miss having a Ted Washington or a Pat Williams in there

Comment

• eyedog
                        • Jul 2002

LOL, you think so DICK.
                        You really think you finally need the big run stuffing d-tackle.

What gave you that idea and what took so damn long to fiqure it out.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                          • Feb 2005

At least this coaching staff isnt as cocky and tight lipped abotu what they are looking for, i respect DJ for this lettin people now they recognize were they got to get better,

We can trade a pick to get up in the draft like we did for McCargo
                          Really it all depends on what we do in FA
                          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Bills Formulating DRaft/Free Agency Plans

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/282045.html

I think the following Jauron quote is a good sign..

"Jauron acknowledged that wide receiver, a pass receiving tight end and run-stuffing defensive tackle are the Bills’ biggest needs
                            Wide receiver and defensive tackle are two positions he’d like to address in free agency. The tight end position is up in the air. Robert Royal is the only proven one on the roster. The Bills did sign Teyo Johnson and Jauron wants to bring back Michael Gaines, an unrestricted free agent.

The Bills are looking for a receiver to start opposite Lee Evans. They also want a bigger target because their top four wideouts are under 6-foot.

Jauron didn’t mention any names, but Chicago’s Bernard Berrian, Jacksonville’s Ernest Wilford, Seattle’s D.J. Hackett, New Orleans’ Devery Henderson and Arizona’s Bryant Johnson fit that description.

"Nothing against the guys we have now because I like those guys," Jauron said. "But a bigger receiver would be a little bit different addition to fill our offense out. That way, we give opponents a number of different looks and a number of different problems."

Jauron also said the team wants a bigger defensive tackle who can hold gaps and occupy blockers. That class narrowed a bit with Albert Haynes-worth (Tennessee) and Corey Williams (Green Bay) getting franchised by their teams. But San Francisco’s Isaako Sopoaga is among the other candidates. "
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------
                            It's good to see that our coach is acknowledging what we talk about daily. I dont why, I sure shouldn't be with this team.. But for some reason I'm really confident we're going to address these two positions with clear-cut upgrades.

This may have me rethink our draft strategy. I still think WITHOUT a doubt if Rivers (Keith) is on the board we jump at him.. But assuming he's gone, I'm starting to think that dropping down to a draft spot where we could still SAFELY land TE Fred Davis would be a good move.

I would then focus my next few picks on a potentially good cornerback, a center and another DE with a high ceiling.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

Re: Bills Formulating DRaft/Free Agency Plans

I have to say for the first time since we hired him, DJ sounds like he knows what he wants to do this offseason and i applaud him for that, Not being secretive is a welcomed approach for the offseason for once, and also shows that the Bills FO shares the same opinions for once with there fans,

It seems to me we actually got the right plan for the offseason, i havent been this pumped since last season LOL
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X