PDA

View Full Version : I understand why we overpay in FA

Yasgur's Farm
02-22-2008, 06:29 AM
When OBD identifies a need, they target the best of the 2nd tier at that position... With enough years left in the tank to play 4 or 5 years at a high level. Then they make him an offer he can't refuse.

This is both smart and essential in that it's what it takes to get a player to come to Buffalo.

This season (same as last) we'll look past the Randy Moss' and target the Bryant Johnson's (I don't know if Wilford is young enough)... And we'll overpay. BUT... At this point... Does anybody think we overpaid for Dockery and Walker?

Jan Reimers
02-22-2008, 06:54 AM
I agree. Our current approach is much better than overpaying old, big name has-beens - which Donahoe did on several occasions.

kernowboy
02-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Agreed.

Wilford is 29, whilst Johnson is 26.

Starks and Lehman could be targets at DT and LB as they are 24 and 26 so have decent periods ahead of them.

A slight disappointment is we've not been successful in reclamation projects - guys out of the league, or have failed elsewhere - who we could maybe turn around here.

colin
02-22-2008, 07:36 AM
i think we are gonna sign a front 7 guy who is an absolute stud at a high price tag.

we might also get a wr at highish cost, but i'm certain one front 7 star is coming our way, and 2 if you include the draft.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-22-2008, 07:54 AM
That is usually what bad teams have to do with players.

bigbub2352
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I think a Dark horse could be Kelly DT from Oakland he is 6ft 6 and good quickness, i like Starks too, we get one of those guys and draft a beefeater in the 3rd round i would be more than happy
Same stance at WR go out get Johnston, or Hackett or Wilford and draft a wr
Cut Reed and have Parrish as your 4, that is more than solid
sign Gaines and draft a TE i hope Bennett in rd 2

patmoran2006
02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
We have to overpay for a player because of the state of the team.. If all things are even, barely anybody will come to Buffalo.

That's why we locked up Dockery so fast. We overpaid him. If he got a similar contract don't you think he'd have stayed in Washington? Or went to a team like Jacksonville, New Orelans etc?

It is what it is. I don't have a problem with it, when it's a player that's both a need and a good player.. Dockery was a good signing, whether he got overpaid or not. Kelsay was NOT a good overpaid signing.

This puts a lot of pressure on the GM (or whoever is actually running **** nowadays). They MUST identify 2-3 players per year that are worth overpaying for.

patmoran2006
02-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I think a Dark horse could be Kelly DT from Oakland he is 6ft 6 and good quickness, i like Starks too, we get one of those guys and draft a beefeater in the 3rd round i would be more than happy
Same stance at WR go out get Johnston, or Hackett or Wilford and draft a wr
Cut Reed and have Parrish as your 4, that is more than solid
sign Gaines and draft a TE i hope Bennett in rd 2
I think so to about Kelly. He hurt his knee last year.. But this guy has a lot of ability and he can also line up at DE.

He's a more talented Anthony Hargrove; that's what he is.