PDA

View Full Version : Kentwan Balmer?

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't watch a ton of college football, but I see Balmer pretty high on al the "experts" draft boards yet nobody says a word about him on here. Can anyone tell me anything about this DT, and why he isn't being mentioned as a Buffalo Bill by anyone here?

DraftBoy
02-22-2008, 09:58 AM
He's been mentioned by numerous people, however all those threads are in the Scouting Zone. You can follow the link in my signature.

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I did look in there but not hard enough I guess. Thanks!

DraftBoy
02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
No problem, if you go to my Positional Rankings (pinned in the forum, or just follow the 2nd link in my sig) you'll see that I have him ranked as my #3 DT in this class behind Ellis and Dorsey.

TigerJ
02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing he'll go mid to late round one, which means if Buffalo doesn't trade down from #11, or up from #41, he's not going to end up as a Bill.

BILLSROCK1212
02-22-2008, 02:15 PM
i'm not sure if i remember correctly but pft.com i think has us taking him

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't watch a ton of college football, but I see Balmer pretty high on al the "experts" draft boards yet nobody says a word about him on here. Can anyone tell me anything about this DT, and why he isn't being mentioned as a Buffalo Bill by anyone here?

I recently took him with the 1st pick in my latest mock.

gr8slayer
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Not at eleven.

HHURRICANE
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
The Bills should move up and take Ellis.

kernowboy
02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I've seen a mock with Balmer going as high as No12 and the Broncos

Devin
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Balmer is currently the 3rd rated DT. Hes kind of an enigma really.

Physically and for the most part athletically he has all the tools, very gifted. The problem is his first 3 years he did next to nothing. There isnt much performance to base on. His senior year was fantastic. So now it becomes a question of whether the light came on and potential was realized OR if it was a fluke.

As stated before he has excellent size and frame and could easily add serious bulk (10-20 lbs), he could play either DT spot or a 3-4 end. VERY strong upper body, and generally has pretty solid fundementals, hes also pretty quick for a DT his size. When focused and and playing well Balmer was able to penetrate lines at will standing up linemen and throwing them aside with little effort.

The big knocks on him are his motor, his ability to read and react, and for the most part the fact he was such an underachiever prior to his senior year. His work ethic has always been in question, relying very often on athletic ability alone. Needs to develop better lower body strength.

All in all his ranking is probably about right and a low first/high 2nd at least at this point is likely close to right. Balmer has amazing potential and really SEEMS to be progressing nicely. I dont think hes a good fit for Buffalo as a rookie. Because hed be expected to start and I dont know how ready he is for that on our line. He really needs to be playing with a more solid unit as a rookie to be successful.

NFL comparison - Fred Robbins, DT NYG
Robbins was pretty similar in that it took hiim awhile to come into his own. Very very similar in size and style of play.

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks a lot!