PDA

View Full Version : Modrak says Malcolm Kelly is the real deal

X-Era
02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
His words.

He then went on to question alot about Sweed, injury, and play.

Tom tends to be a pretty straight shooter. If your a fan of us drafting Malcolm Kelly, this ought to get your heart pumping. We seem to like him.

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
To bad he isnt running the 40 i was kinda looking forward to it

Yasgur's Farm
02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
It's not like the world has never seen Malcolm run before..

Luisito23
02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9W7nTi4JFQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9W7nTi4JFQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Goobylal
02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
The Bills aren't taking him. They're taking Sweed in the 2nd. ;)

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 08:30 PM
It's not like the world has never seen Malcolm run before..

i no but i would still like to see it

Ebenezer
02-22-2008, 08:30 PM
they never take people they talk up before the draft

Mitchy moo
02-22-2008, 08:33 PM
<OBJECT height=355 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9W7nTi4JFQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT></P>
the cat can ball.:dance:

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 08:34 PM
The Bills aren't taking him. They're taking Sweed in the 2nd. ;) If we dont get kelly i would take hardy over sweed

X-Era
02-22-2008, 08:51 PM

REally? guys like Antoine Winfield and Marshawn Lynch would disagree with you

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
REally? guys like Antoine Winfield and Marshawn Lynch would disagree with you ooooooo burn:candle:

Mr. Miyagi
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
REally? guys like Antoine Winfield and Marshawn Lynch would disagree with you
If I recall correctly they talked up Adrian Peterson a lot more than Marshawn.

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM
If I recall correctly they talked up Adrian Peterson a lot more than Marshawn. The bills did? I dont think so

X-Era
02-22-2008, 09:10 PM
The bills did? I dont think so
They mentioned both Peterson and Lynch prior to the draft

This is my post from last year:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=124891&highlight=modrak+lynch

Im looking for his interview:

Found it, pre draft luncheon

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
They mentioned both Peterson and Lynch prior to the draft But did anyone really think peterson would drop to us. I know i didnt

X-Era
02-22-2008, 09:44 PM
But did anyone really think peterson would drop to us. I know i didnt

There was late word it could happen based on need. I mentioned before the draft that if he made it to the Vikes I could see them taking him, others probably did too.

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 11:13 PM
There was late word it could happen based on need. I mentioned before the draft that if he made it to the Vikes I could see them taking him, others probably did too. didnt the vikings announce they would take peterson if he dropped to them? Im pretty sure i remember hearing that but i could be wrong

Night Train
02-23-2008, 06:06 AM

Thank you.

Every guy they mention, I put a line through his name.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 06:10 AM
If Kelly cannot run any faster than Bowman, I fail to see why we take Kelly especially Bowman has a reputation for good hands, good blocking and a willingness to venture into traffic allowing our R1 pick to be spent on a Defensive player.

Night Train
02-23-2008, 06:19 AM
<OBJECT height=355 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9W7nTi4JFQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT></P>

That audio made me a huge fan of silent films.

Yasgur's Farm
02-23-2008, 06:31 AM
The Bills aren't taking him. They're taking Sweed in the 2nd. ;)Sweed = Kelly....

Without the YAC!

X-Era
02-23-2008, 07:12 AM
If Kelly cannot run any faster than Bowman, I fail to see why we take Kelly especially Bowman has a reputation for good hands, good blocking and a willingness to venture into traffic allowing our R1 pick to be spent on a Defensive player.

Again, I have no problem with going several routes with our 1st rounder. But I also have no problem with taking Kelly.

If your wondering why Kelly is better than Bowman just watch the highlights of both on Youtube. Kelly has unbelievable hands, and does a better job getting open. He a bit more of a playmaker than Bowman, but yes, Bowman is a very good prospect as well.

DraftBoy
02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
link please

I dont think we should take Kelly at 11, too many other capable WR's avail later, I think our best option may be Bowman in Rd 3

Confused
02-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Im not opposed to Kelly at 11. In fact I like it alot. Barring any draft day slips( Ellis, Gholston) or splendid deals(dmac avail at 11 and the 'boys wanna trade both 1sts) I say pull the trigger.
I cant remember who said it, but M.Kelly reminds me alot of a bigger, faster Moulds. I can deal with that.

mysticsoto
02-24-2008, 09:12 PM

Sweed ran a better 40 than most people thought he would. He might have pushed himself into the late 1st rd...

VeggieMan14
02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Sweed ran a better 40 than most people thought he would. He might have pushed himself into the late 1st rd... I don't think it did him that good. I think he will still go early second

mysticsoto
02-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't think it did him that good. I think he will still go early second

Maybe, but at 6'5", 4.5 (avg) is excellent, and I'm sure the Cowboys might consider him with one of their two 1st round picks!

VeggieMan14
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe, but at 6'5", 4.5 (avg) is excellent, and I'm sure the Cowboys might consider him with one of their two 1st round picks! Yea now looking back to who has the later picks in round one i think that he actually might go in round one late. Theres San Fran(30), Tennessee(24) , and washington at 21 who said they wanted a big reciever. O and don't forget Detroit at 15 they will never let you down at picking WR's :chuckle:

madness
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Bills didn't interview Kelly but that doesn't really mean much given most people know he's a high character guy. You have to love Kelly's comments about playing for Buffalo though.

mysticsoto
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Bills didn't interview Kelly but that doesn't really mean much given most people know he's a high character guy. You have to love Kelly's comments about playing for Buffalo though.

With Kelly not running in the combine and others like Sweed impressing with their speed, I really don't think Kelly will be our pick at #11 or even if we should get lucky and trade down. We might just wait to go WR in the 2nd rd...and lucky for us, we'll still likely get an excellent candidate!!!

madness
02-25-2008, 11:50 AM
The combine is overrated if you're hooked on 40 times and bench presses. The game film doesn't lie and is a better gauge then any skill at the combine. The combine's true value is the accessibility to the players through interviews and medical exams.

mysticsoto
02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
The combine is overrated if you're hooked on 40 times and bench presses. The game film doesn't lie and is a better gauge then any skill at the combine. The combine's true value is the accessibility to the players through interviews and medical exams.

Agreed, but the game film talks well of Sweed also. What was in question was his speed. Clearly, he's got more than people thought. He will knock another WR into the 2nd rd...

X-Era
02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Agreed, but the game film talks well of Sweed also. What was in question was his speed. Clearly, he's got more than people thought. He will knock another WR into the 2nd rd...

His durability is his question mark, not his speed or ability.

If the Bills doc's are OK with him, that more than enough for me.

Sweed, Hardy, Kelly im happy with any of them.

If anything theres only a few I dont particularly want:

Doucet, and Manningham, thats just me.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-26-2008, 03:42 AM

Where did you get that from?

Did you watch any of Bowman's games?

I did--and not just the Senior Bowl, either. And, while Bowman is an impressive looking guy, I came away with some serious concerns about him:

1.) His hands are not as bad as he showed in the Senior Bowl practices, but he will need to work on catching the ball on the next level. He catches the ball pretty well when wide open, but is only average on short-to-mid-range routes.

2.) He struggled to get off the line of scrimmage against Oklahoma, in the Senior Bowl and, especially against Indiana--Oklahoma State actually was running him out of the slot most of the time in the second half against Indiana.

3.) He could not get any separation in the Senior Bowl game and, against Indiana, Okla. State threw the ball consistently to the WR on the opposite side of the field in every critical 3rd down situation, even though Bowman had the advantage of working out of the slot or being in motion on virtually all of those plays. Why? Bowman was supposedly their "main man" at WR, so why were they throwing the ball to their "other" WR in virtually every critical situation?

4.) While Bowman was supposed to be the big star on the Okla.State offense, there were times during their games over the last two seasons where, if you didn't that that, you wouldn't have been able to tell that he was because the other starting WR and the TE were more impressive than he was. That kind of thing can happen with a team like USC, Ohio St., LSU, etc. where there is so much talent and they are beating teams by big scores in so many different ways, but that shouldn't be the case with a guy who is the big star and the "go-to-guy" at a place like Okla.St. where the offense is under pressure to put up points to keep up with teams like Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

I watched for Bowman when I had a chance to watch an Oklahoma St. game this season and, while I have to say that he looks good and made some very nice catches in some of their games, the things that I have just listed were things that raised some serious concerns for me about his ability to step up to the next level right away and how long it will take him to develop into the kind of dominant player that he looks like he should ultimately become.

And, so far, I haven't had anyone come back and say to me, "hey, I saw him in X, Y and Z games and he was dominant" or "you should look at his games against A, B and C and that will set your mind to rest". So, until someone comes along who has seen some of his games and isn't just looking at a stat sheet can assuage these concerns, I'm still going to have some question-marks in my mind about Bowman and recommend that others have them as well.

Now I'm not saying that Bowman doesn't have the physical skills to become a top-flight NFL WR in time--just like Hardy--but he's still raw and a lot further away from being polished enough to play regularly in the NFL than Sweed, Kelly, Doucet, and Desean Jackson, at the very least.

Depending on what happens in free agency and, then, at the top of the draft, I wouldn't necessarily be upset if the Bills took Bowman in the 3rd Round--although I don't know if he will last that long. But, after seeing him play, I don't really understand why guys who expect the Bills to draft a WR who will be able to contribute significantly this up-coming season are so "in love" with Bowman (or Hardy)--IMHO Bowman's not a guy who is going to be able to step in right away and do a lot.

If you are willing to give him the three years that it took Eric Moulds to develop, fine--but, if you're sold on him and think that he is the guy that the Bills should draft at WR, then, no complaining or saying that "he sucks" if he doesn't do much at all his first couple of seasons!

IMHO, if the Bills can snag a big WR to compliment L.Evans in free agency, they will be able to afford to wait on a guy like Bowman to develop. But, if they're not able to do that and they need to draft a WR who will be able to contribute and perhaps develop into a big-time play-maker sooner, Sweed (if his wrist is OK) or Kelly are more likely to be able to do that sooner.

I think that there are a number of WRs in this draft who could potentially help the Bills--including Kelly and Bowman. But I'm not going to "fall in love" with any of these guys--or form a strong enough opinion of which one I think that the Bills should draft--until I see what the team is able to do in free agency, get all of the info available about them before the draft starts, and, then, see how the top of the draft starts to take shape. I think that there are going to be so many things that could change that could impact not only who is still sitting on the board when the Bills are on the clock, but where the Bills will end up picking in the first round even that it is way too early to say "the Bills should take this guy" about any player, not just a given WR.

But, that's just my opinion.

Saratoga Slim
02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

I don't know Eb, generally you're probably right....but there sure was a lot of buzz at OBD about Posluszny last winter.

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I have Kelly rated tops among WR's... and top 20 in the draft... And I'm not alone either.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2008

Even though I switched to Merling @ #11, I don't consider Kelly a reach... That will be established at his pro day.