PDA

View Full Version : My Take On The Combine

patmoran2006
02-22-2008, 08:31 PM
For the most part, I think the combine is so overated and overblown its beyond belief.

I'm no GM or anything, but I would value watching game tape and how a guy plays on game day a hell of a lot more than how fast he runs a 40 with shorts and sneakers on.

now the important part of the combine as far as I'm concerned is the INterview portion. You get a real good chance to gage somone's intelligence and character.

But so much stock is put into someone's 40 time or how many times they can benchpress whatever weight, I think it's ridicuous.

As for Malcomb Kelly.. I know he's not running the 40 and I hope he doesnt at his pro day either. Bills scouts should already know what he can physically.

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
For the most part, I think the combine is so overated and overblown its beyond belief.

I'm no GM or anything, but I would value watching game tape and how a guy plays on game day a hell of a lot more than how fast he runs a 40 with shorts and sneakers on.

now the important part of the combine as far as I'm concerned is the INterview portion. You get a real good chance to gage somone's intelligence and character.

But so much stock is put into someone's 40 time or how many times they can benchpress whatever weight, I think it's ridicuous.

As for Malcomb Kelly.. I know he's not running the 40 and I hope he doesnt at his pro day either. Bills scouts should already know what he can physically. I agrre that it is waaay over rated but it gives me something to watch so whatever

patmoran2006
02-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Don't get me wrong its cool..

I just think some people and even GM's put way too much stock into atheltic combine performances (Mamula, Robert Gallery, etc)

If there is a guy I like in the draft, I hope he doesnt run or do **** to be honest.

VeggieMan14
02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Don't get me wrong its cool..

I just think some people and even GM's put way too much stock into atheltic combine performances (Mamula, Robert Gallery, etc)

If there is a guy I like in the draft, I hope he doesnt run or do **** to be honest. Yea im looking forward to it i finally got nfl network so ill get to watch it

yordad
02-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, I disagree. It is the only time you see a guys raw skills without the aid of a supporting cast. You can argue a good player makes a team better, but it seems obvious a bad team can make a player look bad, and a good team can make a player look good.

Its is like boxing. Player to player. Skill to skill. Speed to speed. Mano y mano.

The Jokeman
02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Not to mention you can get a little insite on how the player reacts to certain things. As in watching the combine players are instructed to do certain things in certain drills. So you can see how he reacts to being told this is how to do the drill, some players don't always follow the rules or get hard on themselves for doing something wrong etc which can't always see on game film.

realdealryan
02-22-2008, 11:00 PM
If you took the the field up and didn't do any pass catching, a stranger to the game almost couldn't tell you what sport it is. Jumping, running in and out of obstacles, sprinting, lifting. And in sweats, not in pads. That's the dissappointing thing for me - it just doesn't simulate a game, and an incredible amount of weight is put on the results. Greg Olsen's stock jumped up after he ran that 40 time and the Bears took him in round one. I'm not saying that there should have been ten TE's in front of him, but he wasn't all that impressive. Except for that one day on NFL Network when he ran pretty quickly in shorts and caught some passes with no defenders.