PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Rogers to be traded within the next week per Adam Schefter

BILLSROCK1212
02-23-2008, 02:03 AM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Lions will trade DT Shaun Rogers within the next week.

Trades can't be executed until the free agency period begins on February 29. Schefter says at least four teams have shown strong interest in Rogers, whose skill set compares favorably to both Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis. Rogers has his ups and downs, but most premier interior linemen do. The Lions should be able to get at least a second-round pick for the 28-year-old. Feb. 22 - 7:24 pm et

clumping platelets
02-23-2008, 02:14 AM
:pray:

Bert102176
02-23-2008, 02:30 AM
yeah and all I here from any site is how he is about to be traded to Denver

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Marvellous.

A fat guy who cannot control his weight, has attitude problems, and whose next ban under the substance abuse programme will be for an entire season.

And a second round pick depriving us of a young WR like Adarius Bowman or a young DT like Dre Moore

NO THANK YOU

alohabillsfan
02-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Trade JP to Detroit for Rodgers!

Night Train
02-23-2008, 07:34 AM
I'd never trade for a problem player who is 1 weak moment away from a 1 year suspension.

Next !

X-Era
02-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Marvellous.

A fat guy who cannot control his weight, has attitude problems, and whose next ban under the substance abuse programme will be for an entire season.

And a second round pick depriving us of a young WR like Adarius Bowman or a young DT like Dre Moore

NO THANK YOU

Dont worry, if the Bills see what you see, a guy with character issues, he wont be coming here any time soon.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm sure you're right but I feel that the so-called quick fix of free agency is anything but.

In fact, the evaluation for free agency or trading established players maybe even harder than evaluating in the draft.

With rookies, they are young enough to change and evolve and adapt.

With veterans, they may be too set in their ways, and what has made them successful for one team, will not guarantee any sort of success, and for a team wishing to trade away an established player who is still under contract is something I will always be extremely wary of.

Michael82
02-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd rather trade our 2nd rounder or maybe even 1st rounder for Corey Williams from the Packers. :up:

Ickybaluky
02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Dont worry, if the Bills see what you see, a guy with character issues, he wont be coming here any time soon.

Character issues? He was accused of inappropriate groping of a stripper at a strip club, that hardly qualifies as felony-level stuff. The police reviewed the claim and decided that it wasn't worth filing charges.

Other than that, he had a 4-game suspension for taking a banned substance, which he claimed was a dietary supplement to help him control his weight (ephedra). That actually is plausible.

Beyond that, there is just the matter of his not consistently playing at a dominant level, which is what his talent says he should be. Of course, he is stuck in Detriot, and losses tend to have a numbing effect on a guys desire. Just ask Randy Moss what a change of scenery can do for a guy.

Personally, Rogers has been a Pro Bowl level player before, and just because Detroit is giving up on him doesn't mean you should write him off. They are Detroit, and since Millen has been there that team has been a trainwreck. Rogers has rare ability, along the lines of Albert Haynesworth. He does struggle with his weight at times, but a lot of big guys have that problem. His talent is undeniable, and if Buffalo doesn't at least look into trading for him they are stupid, given the undeniable need they have for a dominant player in the middle of their DL. Heck, any team should look into Rogers. I hope my Patriots do.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd rather trade our 2nd rounder or maybe even 1st rounder for Corey Williams from the Packers. :up:

I am old enough to remember the hurricane that Polian created. He brought in players that were top guys. People forget what a huge pick-up Cornelius Bennet was and what an immediate impact he had on our roster. The 90 Bills had players were the best in the league. When was the last time we had a guy that was #1 at a position?

I agree that if we are going to make any move in the off-season it should be for the best player at that position, not someone that's "top 5" or "top 10".

patmoran2006
02-23-2008, 10:33 AM
We are IDIOTS if we dont explore the possibility..

DT along with WR are the two biggest NEEDS of this football team.. There is nobody in FA in the same league at DT as Rogers, and we aren't drafting Dorsey or Ellis.

Rogers had 7 sacks last year. That's more than SChobel, that's almost 3x what Kelsay had. That's more than double what ALL of our DT's had COMBINED. He also brought back a INT 66 yards for a TD.

We need established TALENT on defense. YOu put Rogers out there next to an emerging McCargo, and maybe Schobel and Kelsay play better and teams stop averaging nearly 34 yards PER DRIVE on us.

Anyone who writes him off is out of their mind.. I'd give up a second rounder for him right NOW. You want to be a playoff team? You have to take a few chances.. A player of his ability is WORTH the gamble.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately you get Pro-Bowlers who once they start to slip, it heralds a steady decline.

Rogers has never shown the work ethic, or commitment. The excuse he is stuck in Detroit so his desire isn't there says it all. If you are paid millions or have a will to win, your desire to succeed should be there every single day. We see it in guys who may not have the best athletic ability but continually over achieve - guys like Pat Williams and Phil Hansen.

I'd rather spend my money and draft picks on someone like Pat Sims - his character issue was as an immature young guy he quit the team because he wasn't being played regularly, but having apologised, came back, worked hard and played through injuries to make himself one of the better players at the position.

Shaun Rogers playing through injuries? Don't make me laugh .. at the slightest hint of pain, he'd be squealing his way to the bench, to increase the size of his lardy arse with burgers and ice cream

patmoran2006
02-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately you get Pro-Bowlers who once they start to slip, it heralds a steady decline.

Rogers has never shown the work ethic, or commitment. The excuse he is stuck in Detroit so his desire isn't there says it all. If you are paid millions or have a will to win, your desire to succeed should be there every single day. We see it in guys who may not have the best athletic ability but continually over achieve - guys like Pat Williams and Phil Hansen.

I'd rather spend my money and draft picks on someone like Pat Sims - his character issue was as an immature young guy he quit the team because he wasn't being played regularly, but having apologised, came back, worked hard and played through injuries to make himself one of the better players at the position.

Shaun Rogers playing through injuries? Don't make me laugh .. at the slightest hint of pain, he'd be squealing his way to the bench, to increase the size of his lardy arse with burgers and ice cream
Everything you just said you could've said about Haynesworth before the 2007 season, and now he's regarded as possibly the best DT in the NFL.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 11:00 AM
But Haynesworth has done it on his existing team, not continued to play so poorly, with so little effort and commitment, that his team has decided to cut their losses.

The Titans stood by Haynesworth and he repayed them.

The Lions have stood by Rogers and he's rewarded them with a lack of effort. I'm not sure the two can or should be compared.

Jeff1220
02-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Trade JP to Detroit for Rodgers!

Exactly what I was thinking. Detroit needs a young QB. Kitna has been floating around the league forever, it seems, and is known as a team player. If I was Detroit, I'd definitely take a chance on a guy like JP.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Detroit needs a young QB. Kitna has been floating around the league forever, it seems, and is known as a team player. If I was Detroit, I'd definitely take a chance on a guy like JP.

The Lions drafted Drew Stanton as the QB of the future, last year in R2

Jeff1220
02-23-2008, 11:41 AM
The Lions drafted Drew Stanton as the QB of the future, last year in R2

Forgot about him.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2008, 11:52 AM

You profess profound ignorance of the player in that post.

As for his starting to slip, he is 28 years old. I would think he has a few good years left.

As for his never showing work ethic, that is not known. Most of those questions surround his weight issues. However, lots of top DT struggle with their weight, but it doesn't keep them from being productive. Any Bills fan could point to Pat Williams and Ted Washington and see that.

He worked hard enough to make himself a top DT in the NFL. Detroit is giving up on him, but that can be explained by his getting sick fo playing for nothing in Detroit and by his not being as good a fit for their defense. Detroit wants pentrators that disrupt, but he is more of a guy who eats up the middle of the DL (like Albert Haynesworth). Rogers is a classic case of a guy who needs a change of scenery.

I'm not sure where you get any hint he won't play through injury. He missed 10 games in a 7 year NFL career. He pretty much never missed a game at Texas. The guy plays, you are just pulling that out of your rectum.

The bottom line with Rogers is he is rare. You ever hear of Parcell's planet theory? He says there are only so many people that are that big and that athletic. Rogers is one of a few guys on the planet with his skills, which is why he is a 2-time Pro Bowler. Did you know he has more blocked kicks than any other player in the NFL? Probably not, you are just judging him based on what you want to believe.

Someone is going to get a steal with Shaun Rogers. In the right situation, he is every bit as good as Haynesworth.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
He's not employed as a kick blocker, he's employed as a DT.

Any team as poor as the Lions giving up on a player should set alarm bells ringing.

Players giving up and lacking the desire - there are lots of PROFESSIONALS in a range of sports who have to play for nothing due to being on poor teams and still play!!!! Who is the one talking out of their rectum?

And with Schobel going to this years ProBowl - well that shows how much that really is worth?

Personally you can have him in New England ... maybe you should clear off there and advocate such a move to your colleagues rather than abuse Bills fans here.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2008, 01:45 PM
He's not employed as a kick blocker, he's employed as a DT.

He has blocked 11 kicks in 7 years in the NFL, a remarkable total. He is better at it than anyone in the NFL.

Any team as poor as the Lions giving up on a player should set alarm bells ringing.

Right, because the Lions are known for making excellent choices.

Players giving up and lacking the desire - there are lots of PROFESSIONALS in a range of sports who have to play for nothing due to being on poor teams and still play!!!! Who is the one talking out of their rectum?

How often have you watched the guy play? You are talking out your arse, because the guy has dominated at times.

And with Schobel going to this years ProBowl - well that shows how much that really is worth?

I'm not sure what Schobel has to do with this argument, although my guess is you are trying to deflect because you don't know what you are talking about. Rogers is a 2-time Pro Bowler. You can say anything you want, but you can't suck and become a 2-time Pro Bowler. Plug him in at DT and you will see Schobel return to recording double-digit sacks.

Personally you can have him in New England ... maybe you should clear off there and advocate such a move to your colleagues rather than abuse Bills fans here.

I can only hope. The problem is the Pats already have a lot invested in the DL and have much bigger needs elsewhere. That said, I would welcome such a trade.

The Bills, on the other hand, have a huge need for a player just like Rogers. They are an undersized front that gets pushed around. Rogers would give them the kind of strong interior player they haven't had since Pat Williams left.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
How often have you watched the guy play? You are talking out your arse, because the guy has dominated at times.

Several times, and while he's been great at times, on many others he has been fat, and lazy and disinterested.

The key point here is ...."at times"

With his ability it should be ALL THE TIME !!!!

I don't buy the excuse that all of a sudden he'll start behaving more professionally in a new environment ... these are personality characteristics.

There's as much chance that he'll come to the Bills .... and quickly be fat and lazy and distinterested

Giving up a R2 might cost us the chance of drafting a DT like Pat Sims or Dre Moore if they are still there, or a No2 WR which we need.

Does Rogers have the discipline to arrest the start of a fall off in performance and bounce back?

Probably NOT ... his cost will be more than his return.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
The key point here is ...."at times"

With his ability it should be ALL THE TIME !!!!

... <bunch of crap> ...

Does Rogers have the discipline to arrest the start of a fall off in performance and bounce back?

Probably NOT ... his cost will be more than his return.

Nobody dominates all the time, especially at DT. Guys are rotated in and get breaks, that is true for all great players.

Also, he doesn't have to bounce back. His play is still very high.

You have no clue how talented and good this guy is, obviously. He is one of the most talented DT in the entire game. That is why you see a lot of teams interested in him, and why Detroit is going to get pretty good value back on the guy.

This is just a silly argument. This guy is a very talented player, a rare player.

BILLSROCK1212
02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Langston Walker and Shaun Rogers the two best kick blockers in the NFL WOOOHOO oo and imagine if we sign Tommy Kelly booyaaa grandma haha

Night Train
02-24-2008, 05:32 AM
From The DraftDaddy Combine blog

Veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is trade bait and many 4-3 teams are lining up. Jacksonville, Tennessee, Atlanta, Buffalo, and the New York Jets are all interested. Best offer so far is a 4th rounder.

So a 3rd round pick may get him.

kernowboy
02-24-2008, 05:36 AM
If you look at the Lions season, the moment Rogers lost interest, the team started to lose an struggle.

As a comparison with Starks only Jackonsville had a 100yds runner in the games he started, against Rogers there were 6 including 2 in one game.

I don't want a quitter on the Bills roster.

Scumbag College
02-24-2008, 06:04 AM
From The DraftDaddy Combine blog

Veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is trade bait and many 4-3 teams are lining up. Jacksonville, Tennessee, Atlanta, Buffalo, and the New York Jets are all interested. Best offer so far is a 4th rounder.

So a 3rd round pick may get him.

One of our third round picks for this guy is a no brainer IMO. This guy would immediately solidify a position that has been a weakness for the Bills for years. Redo his contract with escalators and incentives (the Bills have the cap room), and I bet he stays out of trouble.

kernowboy
02-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Or possibly wishful thinking.

With our first 4 picks we can potentially grab a DT, LB, WR and TE.

Personally I'd rather that DT be Pat Sims, Kentwan Balmer, Dre Moore etc than someone who has proven he can be demotivated and quit during the season.

If you look at the second half of the Lions season with Rogers starting they got run all over. Hardly what we need, someone who gives an effort when they feel they want to.

A motivate R2 or R3 pick will provide more consistent effort.

If we trade for Rogers it will simply herald a return to the days of TOM DONAHOE. Its the sort of decision he'd jump at.

YardRat
02-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Rogers has issues similar to Sam Adam's issues when the Bills brought him on board...

I don't know if I'd drop a second on him, but if Detroit would take a third I'd give it in a heartbeat.

tampabay25690
02-24-2008, 11:27 AM
This would be a great fit for us and he has played for JAURON......

He is the type of guy that needs to see a new PLACE...........With the BILLS in an upswing why not come and be a leader on our YOUNG DEFENSE....

jimbohastle51
02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
shaun rogers would be a nice addition, he is fimiliar with jauron as well, and actually when jauron was defensive coordinator for the lions was when rogers was his best, maybe we do actually have him in our sites. i would think he would want to play for a guy that elevated his game and turned him into a probowler.

Slim
02-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm not going to get my hopes up.

colin
02-24-2008, 09:22 PM
i feel safe trusting dick on this one.

he knows the guy as well as any one in the nfl.

patmoran, i think you are a little over amped on this one -- if we don't explore we can be pretty sure dick didn't think it was worth it.

mikemac2001
02-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Not a huge fan of him but would help dline

OpIv37
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Forget him.

I mean, we only have 3 DT's on the roster and they were good enough to get us 25th in rush D in 07 and 28th in 06, and they managed all of 5.5 sacks between the 3 of them in a defensive system that requires QB pressure from the DT's. Why on earth would we need a defensive tackle? :rolleyes:

The fact is that DT has been a problem for this team since Pat Williams left 4 seasons ago. And there are limited options out there. I don't know why some of you suffer the delusion that the Bills can afford to be picky. Rogers has his issues but he's an instant upgrade- if we have the chance to add him, it would be stupid not to.

Tatonka
02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I personally think getting shawn rogers could quite possibly be the best move buffalo could make this offseason. just his addition to the team would give me a ton of hope for the upcoming season.

i really really hope buffalo will pony up for him.

Tatonka
02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
and i agree with everything NE39 said.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-24-2008, 10:41 PM
:no: Marv has put this ship on the right course and signing a guy like Shaun Rogers a person who has weight problems, has attitude problems and violates the NFL substance abuse policy is not a high character type guy.

This is the quote that Marv said the first day he got here.

"One thing I will push very hard is picking players with high character," Levy said. "Don't confuse personality with character. Ability without character will lose. The Buffalo Bills are going to be a team of high character, that's something I will push for very hard." ~ Marv Levy

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2006-01-05-levy_x.htm

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 03:07 AM
For me, its a quick fix preventing us drafting a long term solution. We can easily get a decent DT by R3 of the draft with a choice of Sims, Balmer, Moore, Bryant and Laws available. Any of these guys could be as good if not superior as Rogers, cheaper and more motivated.

And how many top Pro-Bowl or great players have been taken in Round3?

If this was a weak draft like 2007 where beyond Round2, there were few options then I'd jump at using a pick for Rogers as there would be little risk.

But most experts are saying that this draft is so deep that there are many players who will be available in the 4th who in a regular year of talent would be in the 2nd. In fact to come out as a Junior this year is a stupid decision.

Tatonka
02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
yeah, because a 28 year old pro bowl DT that is one of the most dominant in the league, and is just coming into his prime, is a quick fix.

:up:

instead, lets draft another DT that will take 2-3 seasons to develope like almost all of them do. Ask Ingtar about that. he has specifically stated that DT is one of the toughest positions to come in and be an immediate impact right away. look at the drafts of the last 3 years.. there are very few DTs that stand out at all at this point. .just a lot of "potential" like mccargo that he not yet produced.

passing on rogers would be just ****ing stupid.

and you guys can get over the same line of crap.. NE39 already clearly explained the "character issue" and "substance abuse" situation.

the guy was accused of feeling up a stripper.. which was then thrown out due to lack of evidence.

and his substance was ephedra, to help control his weight. OOOO.. awful person.

and ted washington, pat williams, and sam adams ALL had weight issues.. they also were the last good DTs we had. but hey.. i understand why many of you dont want rogers here.. it is fun to watch running backs roll up on our defense at will.

lets draft another LB early and watch him get run over by O lineman because our DTs can all be handled one on one.. having a great DT doesnt make your LBs look better at all.. its all propaganda.

patmoran2006
02-25-2008, 09:09 AM
yeah, because a 28 year old pro bowl DT that is one of the most dominant in the league, and is just coming into his prime, is a quick fix.

:up:

instead, lets draft another DT that will take 2-3 seasons to develope like almost all of them do. Ask Ingtar about that. he has specifically stated that DT is one of the toughest positions to come in and be an immediate impact right away. look at the drafts of the last 3 years.. there are very few DTs that stand out at all at this point. .just a lot of "potential" like mccargo that he not yet produced.

passing on rogers would be just ****ing stupid.

and you guys can get over the same line of crap.. NE39 already clearly explained the "character issue" and "substance abuse" situation.

the guy was accused of feeling up a stripper.. which was then thrown out due to lack of evidence.

and his substance was ephedra, to help control his weight. OOOO.. awful person.

and ted washington, pat williams, and sam adams ALL had weight issues.. they also were the last good DTs we had. but hey.. i understand why many of you dont want rogers here.. it is fun to watch running backs roll up on our defense at will.

lets draft another LB early and watch him get run over by O lineman because our DTs can all be handled one on one.. having a great DT doesnt make your LBs look better at all.. its all propaganda.
Good post.
I would trade for him in a second.

Bottom line, he's among the most talented DT in football, in when you factor our current DT's collectively are among the least talented, and we have the cap room to make it happen, this seems like a no brainer to me.

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm more than happy to see us take a much heralded DT by trading a pick, watch him turn into an enormous bust because he cannot be bothered and then watching the pick we might have had turn into a high character multi-probowl appearing professionals.

The issues which plagued Rogers and dropped him to the 61st pick are still there. Nothing quite like signing a professional who cannot get his act together after 7 years.

And exactly why does Rogers want to swap a losing franchise ..... for a losing franchise without the nightlife?

Mr. Miyagi
02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Off the record, I have also been yelled at and threatened by bouncers for feeliing up strippers. :naughty:

Tatonka
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
kernowboy, do you have a link to the "character issues" you keep referring to?

you do realize that he had 7 sacks last season right? it is not like his production is slipping.

Buffatexas
02-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Come on now, can you honestly say the Bryce Paup got those 17.5 sacks that year without the help of the DL that we had????

colin
02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
i agree w tonk and pat that we need a big upgrade at DT, but if dick thinks rogers isn't the guy then i have to think dick knows.

i think mccargo is gonna come on strong this year, we should be able to draft a DE/DT and sign a DT/DE. it doesn't have to be rogers, but i think we will get a guy in FA no matter what.

in a perfect world, we will sign an OLB, DT, WR and draft the best player @ 11 who is a WR, OLB, or DE/DT, and continue on down the draft.

if we pop our entire FA cork on one move (similar to last year, although we did the big resignings) then a trade for roy williams and sean rogers would be outstanding. that would let us extend evans and just draft the hell out of the best players available. if goulston (or the olb from usc) fell to us and we nabbed a LB in the 2nd, te and wr in the 3rd i'd flip out.

adding 2 or 3 new bodies to our front 7 will make us better accross the board with an up and coming mccargo, poz, and having more bodies to rotate in and out.

i'd like rogers myself, but a lesser DT, along with an OLB, and a first 3 round DE in the draft will give us what we need just the same.

Tatonka
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Come on now, can you honestly say the Bryce Paup got those 17.5 sacks that year without the help of the DL that we had????

i think you were clearly missing my sarcasm.

my point is that maybe our linebackers that we currently have are plenty good if they had a strong middle in front of them.. pos looked like he was going to be a player before the injury.. so if you put a legit pro bowl DT in front of him, maybe he goes from looking like a good linebacker to a elite linebacker.. same with with crowell.. all the sudden digi is more than enough at weakside linebacker.

dominant DTs also make defensive ends better.. maybe kelsay and schobel live up to their contracts with a stud anchoring the center of that line? maybe mccargo goes from showing flashes to a stud who benefits from rogers as well?

now all the sudden our defensive backs look better because the front seven is getting more pressure.

i think that adding a guy like rogers would create a HUGE ripple effect throughout our defense.

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
But again, it depends which Shaun Rogers turn up.

Slag off the Lions all you want, but no team gives up a DT of Rogers resume unless there are serious issues. The Lions are not a winning team but neither are we.

And according to Rod Marinelli, there has not been that much interest in Rogers .........

If they said, nothing less than a R1 then I'd say they'd like to keep Rogers but want value if they can't.

Being prepared to accept a R3 or R4 is almost like giving someone away and reading between the lines there is something serious there.

Tatonka
02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
your right.. because no team gives up on a randy moss either.. unless he is done.. and is lazy.. and will never produce again.

oh wait.. the entire league was going "holy **** we could have had randy moss for a 4th round pick".. but hey, dwayne wright looks like he was worth alot more than randy moss.

Ickybaluky
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
And according to Rod Marinelli, there has not been that much interest in Rogers

I'm not sure where you get that. There are reportedly a half-dozen teams exploring a trade for Rogers, with the Broncos reportedly the most ardent to get him. However, since you can't even make a trade before next weekend, not much is going to happen until then.

However, Detroit being Detroit, they are saying he is on the block (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/SPORTS0101/802250407/1004/SPORTS):

There have been numerous reports of teams expressing interest in Rogers.

"There has been a lot of interest in Shaun," Millen said Monday at the NFL Combine workouts. "Like we said from the start, we'll listen to everybody who wants to talk.

"Shaun's a good player, and you don't give good players away. You try to keep your good players. If somebody wants to talk seriously, great. I'll talk to them.

"Shaun's a good, valuable player."

Now, putting aside for a moment how incredibly bad Matt Millen is as a GM, and the incredible stupidity he shows in killing all his trade leverage, just look at the player.

Shaun Rogers' talent can only be matched by a handful of DT in the NFL. If you want a guy who can push the pocket and take on the double team, there are only a few guys who are in his class.

Does he have warts? Yes. You probably have to rotate him to get the most out of him. He has always struggled with weight problems.

Your argument that this draft provides better options is just silly. Outside of maybe Glenn Dorsey, there isn't a DL in this draft that is in Rogers class of player. This draft is notably strong at RB, but other than that it really isn't outstanding. It certainly isn't heavy with top-level talent.

What Rogers would provide Buffalo is a guy who would demand double-teams in the middle, something they sorely lack. It would free up guys like Schobel and Kelsey to make more plays.

This really isn't that hard a call.

Buffatexas
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
i think you were clearly missing my sarcasm.

my point is that maybe our linebackers that we currently have are plenty good if they had a strong middle in front of them.. pos looked like he was going to be a player before the injury.. so if you put a legit pro bowl DT in front of him, maybe he goes from looking like a good linebacker to a elite linebacker.. same with with crowell.. all the sudden digi is more than enough at weakside linebacker.

dominant DTs also make defensive ends better.. maybe kelsay and schobel live up to their contracts with a stud anchoring the center of that line? maybe mccargo goes from showing flashes to a stud who benefits from rogers as well?

now all the sudden our defensive backs look better because the front seven is getting more pressure.

i think that adding a guy like rogers would create a HUGE ripple effect throughout our defense.

sorry man...I thought you were being serious

Ed
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Good post.
I would trade for him in a second.

Bottom line, he's among the most talented DT in football, in when you factor our current DT's collectively are among the least talented, and we have the cap room to make it happen, this seems like a no brainer to me.
Not to mention we have an extra 3rd and extra late round picks also to sweeten the deal if need be. We could trade for Rogers and still have 8-9 picks come draft day.

Rogers had his best years playing for Jauron and he obviously knows him well as a person and player, so as long as Dick gives it his stamp of approval, seems like a no-brainer to me too.

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure where you get that. There are reportedly a half-dozen teams exploring a trade for Rogers, with the Broncos reportedly the most ardent to get him. However, since you can't even make a trade before next weekend, not much is going to happen until then.

Here you are NE39 .... with a link

Marinelli reiterated the Lions (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67045) would not release Rogers.

"That's not going to happen," Marinelli said.

Though Rogers hasn't always gotten the most out of his immense talent, Marinelli pointed to some positives.

"It was said that this guy would not practice in pads," Marinelli said. "He practiced the whole year in pads. I see some of those progresses being made. You might look at just the very most negative part about him."
That said, the Lions (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67045) will listen to trade offers for Rogers, as they will any other player. Marinelli said there was "not too much" activity regarding Rogers. He said he thought the Lions (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67045) had gotten one call, but they had calls on other players, too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67045&type=InsideSlant

OpIv37
02-25-2008, 09:08 PM
For me, its a quick fix preventing us drafting a long term solution. We can easily get a decent DT by R3 of the draft with a choice of Sims, Balmer, Moore, Bryant and Laws available. Any of these guys could be as good if not superior as Rogers, cheaper and more motivated.

And how many top Pro-Bowl or great players have been taken in Round3?

If this was a weak draft like 2007 where beyond Round2, there were few options then I'd jump at using a pick for Rogers as there would be little risk.

But most experts are saying that this draft is so deep that there are many players who will be available in the 4th who in a regular year of talent would be in the 2nd. In fact to come out as a Junior this year is a stupid decision.

we've been avoiding "quick fixes" for long term solutions for at least 2 seasons now and we've stonewalled. The long term solutions are TOO long term. This rebuilding plan is way to drawn out- by the time some positions are fixed, others will become problematic again. So get some help and start winning. Hell, even if we only get him for 3 years, by that time anyone we draft this year will be in their 3rd season and our other young guys will be in their 4th or 5th- if they don't get it by then, they're not going to.

Bills10-6in08
02-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I am old enough to remember the hurricane that Polian created. He brought in players that were top guys. People forget what a huge pick-up Cornelius Bennet was and what an immediate impact he had on our roster. The 90 Bills had players were the best in the league. When was the last time we had a guy that was #1 at a position?

I agree that if we are going to make any move in the off-season it should be for the best player at that position, not someone that's "top 5" or "top 10".

Brian Moorman