PDA

View Full Version : Jauron wants to get his WR and DT in FA!!

HHURRICANE
02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
This certainly changes how we proceed with the draft.

"Jauron acknowledged that wide receiver, a pass receiving tight end and run-stuffing defensive tackle are the Bills’ biggest needs.
Wide receiver and defensive tackle are two positions he’d like to address in free agency."

raphael120
02-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Interesting...so if we get our DT and WR there...whats our number 1 priority in the draft?

LB? DE? RG? C?

bigbub2352
02-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I think u sign and draft both positions, get some real weapons and depth in here

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure that in this year, with the excessive use of the Franchise Tag, that we can actually get the veteran quality without giving up valuable draft picks.

Not only that, but marginal players like Ernest Wilford and Tommy Kelly, will be excessively overpaid, which may cause concerns and pressures when we come to resign our own players.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Not only that, but marginal players like Ernest Wilford and Tommy Kelly, will be excessively overpaid, which may cause concerns and pressures when we come to resign our own players.

I agree but Jauron is a pretty straight shooter so we must have our eyes on somebody.

Maybe the Bills will actually do what I've been saying and bring a DE in as the 1st rounder.

This is what I hated about last year. We basically spent the draft and FA replacing Donohoe players.

It would be nice to actually build the roster.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-23-2008, 03:42 PM
...This is what I hated about last year. We basically spent the draft and FA replacing Donohoe players.

It would be nice to actually build the roster.

It's called rebuilding. That was the job that Marv Levy was brought in to do.

Now, the team can actually go about the business of addressing the positions where the players that they have are sub-standard and try to add some real play-makers in the process.

There were players who were brought in by Levy (P.Price, Bowen, J.Reed, perhaps Tripplett, etc.) who were just "stop-gaps" to fill certain positions while they addressed other positions, developed young players, evaluated what they actually had on the roster, and got rid of the guys who didn't fit or weren't willing to buy into what they were trying to build, etc..

After the way that the team stuck together and played hard after being ravaged by injuries, the Bills know that they have a solid lockerroom and leadership and can start replacing some of those "stop-gaps" with better players who they need in order for the team to move up to the next level. (The Bills may still need to rely on a few "stop-gaps" again this season, but, with a good draft and a couple of solid FA signings, there shouldn't be as many and they may just need to have a couple of rookies develop to replace some of those.)

But, you're right, they are now in a position to actually start to look for some play-makers--which is what they need more of in order to become serious playoff contenders.

YardRat
02-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I wish he'd add LB to the list.

TigerJ
02-24-2008, 03:27 PM
I think u sign and draft both positions, get some real weapons and depth in here

I agree, though if you sign a guy in free agency, that may affect WHEN you draft a guy playing the same position. If you sign Tommy Kelly, maybe you draft Ahtyba Rubin or Marcus Harrison instead of Kentwan Balmer. If you sign Ernest Wilford, you probably draft Ernie Wheelwright instead of Limas Sweed.

RockStar36
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I wish he'd add LB to the list.

If they get Connor in the draft I think they are set for years.

X-Era
02-24-2008, 05:31 PM
This certainly changes how we proceed with the draft.

"Jauron acknowledged that wide receiver, a pass receiving tight end and run-stuffing defensive tackle are the Bills’ biggest needs.
Wide receiver and defensive tackle are two positions he’d like to address in free agency."
Im not sure I saw a link to him saying this. It sounds more like a reporter twisting what he said.

IMO, this will be like every other year, we know what our needs are, we will address them through free agency AND the draft.

I would be very suprised if we have decided what positions we are SOLELY addressing in FA and what positions we are SOLELY addressing through the draft. It just never goes that way, things change daily and team roll with the punches and use all available means to fill needs.

colin
02-24-2008, 09:32 PM
i still get the feeling one of the two guys from Dtown are gonna get traded to us.

Ultra Chimp 1
02-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Not if Jauron's idea of a capable WR2 is Ernest Wilford.

Patti120
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
As an aside, the NFL network has our biggest needs pegged as CB, WR, TE, DE.