PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills 2007 Cornerback Analysis

YardRat
02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
http://mvn.com/nfl-bills/2008/02/23/buffalo-bills-2007-cornerback-analysis/

As a unit, Buffalo finished the 2007 season ranked 29th in pass defense, allowing 238.4 yards-per-game. They did finish eighth in passing touchdowns allowed with just 19. The Bills also tied for tenth in interceptions with 18.

To compare, in 2006 the Bills finished seventh in pass defense allowing 188.7 yards-per-game, ninth in touchdowns with 18 and 24th in interceptions with 13.

So, that’s a mixed bag in terms of improvement and regression. Overall pass defense allowed 49.7 yards, the Bills allowed one more touchdown pass and picked off five more passes.

The interception number is somewhat puzzling, as Clements was viewed as the team’s best playmaking corner. But, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell always places an emphasis on turnovers.....

The Bills are in decent shape since everyone at the position is returning except for Jason Webster. No one will be crying over his loss. I won’t be upset if the top three corners entering the season are McGee, Greer and Youboty. Beyond that I think the Bills could draft a corner in the middle rounds to be the fourth or fifth.

There are some great corners available in free agency like Asante Samuel and Marcus Trufant, but the cover-2 philosophy usually doesn’t require an expensive cover corner.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Good analysis. I agree that there is no need to grab a bigtime corner in FA, or early in the draft.

I also think Youboty will mature into a good player, but I may be in the minority.

yordad
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I think it is a little less of a "mixed bag" than this guy is leading on. They were pretty bad. And, they may have been half the problem with our pass rush. Not to mention, the game we got a third of those interception in, we still lost.

If we trade back in the first, picking up an extra first day, and there is some good value were we pick, a CB that could push for a starting position would be a bit of alright.

Maybe our 11th (1250pts) and 72nd (230pts) to the Cowboys for 22 (780pts) and 28 (660pts). That leaves us with 22, 28, 41, and 71. DT, WR, TE, CB, LB being our weakest links, CB could easily sneak into the top 2 or three needs after free agency starts. Heck, I had Malcolm Jenkins as our first pick in my first mock draft a while back. And, there is no denying how expensive signing a good FA CB is.

mybills
02-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Games | Tackles |Sacks |Pass Deflections | Interceptions
Nate Clements 16 92 1 14 4
Terrence McGee 15 78 0 21 4

The two most important things for a CB (PD's & Int's) and McGee did better.
He played one less game than Nate, so that 4 is better than it looks!
<--That's my boy! :bf1:

HHURRICANE
02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Take out the Dallas game and see how good are numbers are. It's like the Miami game 2 years ago when half our sacks came from that game.

patmoran2006
02-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Good analysis. I agree that there is no need to grab a bigtime corner in FA, or early in the draft.

I also think Youboty will mature into a good player, but I may be in the minority.
YOu are in the minority.. I think he's awful.

Having said that, I do agree CB isn't a top priority.. Or at least I Hope its not. I won't be pleased if we draft a CB 11th overall, and it could very well happen.

I wouldnt say I"m totally satisfied with Greer, McGee and Kiwi, but there are weaker spots on the team for sure.