PDA

View Full Version : TE's Looked Great As A Group Today At Indy

Night Train
02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
The star was Dustin Keller of Purdue. He had a 38 inch verticle and ran around 4.53. Then he looked great in the running/catching drills.
The negative is he measured in as the smallest TE at an even 6-2 and is a motion TE (cannot block).

Brad Cottam of Tenn. raised a few eyebrows. He's absolutely huge (6-7 270) and ran an incredible 4.68. Looked good in the drills. Story is Tenn. held him out in November rehabbing a wrist injury, convinced he would get another year of Elig. granted. In Dec., they found out he was denied and played him in the final 2 games.

Kellen Davis of Michigan is completely cut and did good. He's still raw but at 6-6 253, he ran very well and did OK in the drills.

Another TE that looked goood was Craig Stevens of Cal. He looked good in the drills. Mayock and a few coaches pointed out he's by far the best blocker.

Jeremichael Finley and Martellus Bennett both looked good.

Fred Davis of USC skipped the 40 and then ran all the drills. He looked OK but he's just a tad over 6-2. Did show speed.

John Carlson of ND was slow in the first 40 (4.96) then ran a 4.89. Looked better in drills.

Tons of depth here so no reason to reach early. You could get a good one anywhere from rounds 2-5. Really liked what I saw from Cottam and Stevens.

jpdex12
02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Where did you get your stats from? I saw that Keller was 6'3". One inch may not be a big deal but it does to the statistitions. With a 38" vertical one inch doesn't mean ****! I touted earlier in the season that this kid was a player. I think Draftboy poo pooed him a bit but he will be at least a 3rd round pick and he will make a difference on someone's team. I'd hate for us to waste a high pick on an H-back but damn this kids has what it takes.

kernowboy
02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Carlson was slow but if that time is an aberration he might have fallen to the 4th and would be an excellent pick up at that point.

Stevens is a good blocker but has no real reputation as a receiver.

Davis is a good receiver but isn't too good as a blocker.

Kolo Kapanui might be an Undrafted guy at this point and I'd want to grab him immediately.

VeggieMan14
02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
IMO Fred Davis looked afful. The two i liked were Jermichael Finley and That Darrel Strong guy with the dreads.

gr8slayer
02-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Texas TE Jermichael Finley ran a 4.82 forty-yard dash at the NFL Combine Saturday.
This is a big disappointment for Finley, an underclassman who isn't highly experienced in any area. He seems likely to go on the second day now.

PECKERWOOD
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm not surprised by Keller having a good showing, he has appeared in a numerous number of my mock drafts and he is a personal favorite.

jpdex12
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm telling you what, Keller would make our offense good immediately. Even as an h-back. I would be a bit worried about his blocking on run plays as he wasn't asked to commit to a one on one block like that at Purdue but he could learn. I'd add another 10lbs to his frame which shouldn't slow him down much and he would have the same size as Kellen Winslow. At Purdue they split him out wide at times and used him as another wideout.

You tell me that Evans and Wilford at wideout along with Lynch at RB and Keller lined up in front of Lynch at H-back wouldn't create problems for an opposing defense? Especially with Keller in motion to draw a strong safety out on him...

If this kid is still there in the 3rd I would hope we jump on him but I don't expect him to last that long.

jpdex12
02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
IMO Fred Davis looked afful. The two i liked were Jermichael Finley and That Darrel Strong guy with the dreads.

Fred didn't impress me at all. In fact I was thinking that as fragile as a lot of draft personnel are to this combine stuff, it will certainly hurt his placement in the draft. Honestly, I know he put up decent numbers for one year in his career but I just don't see the hype with him especially with the depth of TE in this draft.

gr8slayer
02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I'd rather have Bennett in R3.

jpdex12
02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Like I wanted Trent Edwards in round 3.

TigerJ
02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Bills fans have been hot for Alge Crumpler who is 6'2" but wouldn't want Dustin Keller because he's 6'2"?

NFL.com lists Cottam as having run 4.63, even better than 4.68.

Kellen Davis ran a very respectable 4.60 at 6'6".

VeggieMan14
02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes his forty time wasnt good but once again that is in tennis shoes. In the catching drills is where he impressed me a lot. But definately fred davis sucks from what i saw today

Yasgur's Farm
02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Jermichael Finley impressed the sheet out of me in the drills.

As for his 40 time... The announcers said he had poor 40 technique... He stutter stepped out of the blocks and stood straight up instead of staying low.

For those of you who like to say "the 40 time is the most over rated (or worthless) stat in football", now's your chance.